Linksys DMA210 extender connection problems

husky is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Linksys DMA210 extender connection problems
Hi all,

Please help, totally new to this sort of thing

Recently bought the above item and have been trying now for over a week to get my pc with vista home premium to recognise it on my wireless network.
In media center I keep getting the same response
"extender not found,
setup could not find your extender,verify the following,
your extender is on and connected to the same network as this computer
your setup key is correct
your firewall is set up to allow upnp discovery"

I have managed (according to the event viewer) to successfully configure the pc for use with the extender, the extender tells me its connected to my network although I cannot download the latest updates on it as it tells me there is a connection problem, I cannot see the extender when I open network sharing center "view computers and devices"

I'm using a Belkin (N) wireless modem router connected by cable into my pc, I have a squeezebox working perfectly well on my wireless network which can pick up internet radio and access my music files perfectly well.

I have Norton 360, which I've tried with the firewall, on ,off, completely uninstalled, windows firewall, on, off ,which is configured for use with media extenders. Network discovery is on.

I think I may have done something wrong somewhere but can't see it at all, anyone throw any light on this as I would really like to get this set up for xmas.
Thanks.
Curious

Re: Linksys DMA210 extender connection problems
Are the 2 units in the same workgroup?
"husky" <husky.3ks744@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in message

> Hi all,
>
> Please help, totally new to this sort of thing
>
> Recently bought the above item and have been trying now for over a week
> to get my pc with vista home premium to recognise it on my wireless
> network.
> In media center I keep getting the same response
> "extender not found,
> setup could not find your extender,verify the following,
> your extender is on and connected to the same network as this computer
> your setup key is correct
> your firewall is set up to allow upnp discovery"
>
> I have managed (according to the event viewer) to successfully
> configure the pc for use with the extender, the extender tells me its
> connected to my network although I cannot download the latest updates on
> it as it tells me there is a connection problem, I cannot see the
> extender when I open network sharing center "view computers and devices"
>
> I'm using a Belkin (N) wireless modem router connected by cable into my
> pc, I have a squeezebox working perfectly well on my wireless network
> which can pick up internet radio and access my music files perfectly
> well.
>
> I have Norton 360, which I've tried with the firewall, on ,off,
> completely uninstalled, windows firewall, on, off ,which is configured
> for use with media extenders. Network discovery is on.
>
> I think I may have done something wrong somewhere but can't see it at
> all, anyone throw any light on this as I would really like to get this
> set up for xmas.
> Thanks.
>

> --
> husky

husky is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: Linksys DMA210 extender connection problems
how can I tell ?, fraid you'll have to tell me where to look to find out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious View Post
Are the 2 units in the same workgroup?
"husky" <husky.3ks744@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in message

> Hi all,
>
> Please help, totally new to this sort of thing
>
> Recently bought the above item and have been trying now for over a week
> to get my pc with vista home premium to recognise it on my wireless
> network.
> In media center I keep getting the same response
> "extender not found,
> setup could not find your extender,verify the following,
> your extender is on and connected to the same network as this computer
> your setup key is correct
> your firewall is set up to allow upnp discovery"
>
> I have managed (according to the event viewer) to successfully
> configure the pc for use with the extender, the extender tells me its
> connected to my network although I cannot download the latest updates on
> it as it tells me there is a connection problem, I cannot see the
> extender when I open network sharing center "view computers and devices"
>
> I'm using a Belkin (N) wireless modem router connected by cable into my
> pc, I have a squeezebox working perfectly well on my wireless network
> which can pick up internet radio and access my music files perfectly
> well.
>
> I have Norton 360, which I've tried with the firewall, on ,off,
> completely uninstalled, windows firewall, on, off ,which is configured
> for use with media extenders. Network discovery is on.
>
> I think I may have done something wrong somewhere but can't see it at
> all, anyone throw any light on this as I would really like to get this
> set up for xmas.
> Thanks.
>

> --
> husky

husky is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: Linksys DMA210 extender connection problems
Anybody help at all ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by husky View Post
[...]

I don't have an Extender so don't know how to set it's workgroup. Apparently
I am wrong in thinking that is the cause of your problem if you have not
found a way to set it in your extender.
"husky" <husky.3kvwg5@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in message

> Anybody help at all ??
>

> husky;1111542 Wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Please help, totally new to this sort of thing
>>
>> Recently bought the above item and have been trying now for over a week
>> to get my pc with vista home premium to recognise it on my wireless
>> network.
>> In media center I keep getting the same response
>> "extender not found,
>> setup could not find your extender,verify the following,
>> your extender is on and connected to the same network as this computer
>> your setup key is correct
>> your firewall is set up to allow upnp discovery"
>>
>> I have managed (according to the event viewer) to successfully
>> configure the pc for use with the extender, the extender tells me its
>> connected to my network although I cannot download the latest updates on
>> it as it tells me there is a connection problem, I cannot see the
>> extender when I open network sharing center "view computers and devices"
>>
>> I'm using a Belkin (N) wireless modem router connected by cable into my
>> pc, I have a squeezebox working perfectly well on my wireless network
>> which can pick up internet radio and access my music files perfectly
>> well.
>>
>> I have Norton 360, which I've tried with the firewall, on ,off,
>> completely uninstalled, windows firewall, on, off ,which is configured
>> for use with media extenders. Network discovery is on.
>>
>> I think I may have done something wrong somewhere but can't see it at
>> all, anyone throw any light on this as I would really like to get this
>> set up for xmas.
>> Thanks.

> --
> husky

husky is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: Linksys DMA210 extender connection problems
Thanks anyway, for taking time to reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious View Post
I don't have an Extender so don't know how to set it's workgroup. Apparently
I am wrong in thinking that is the cause of your problem if you have not
found a way to set it in your extender.
"husky" <husky.3kvwg5@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in message

> Anybody help at all ??
>

> husky;1111542 Wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Please help, totally new to this sort of thing
>>
>> Recently bought the above item and have been trying now for over a week
>> to get my pc with vista home premium to recognise it on my wireless
>> network.
>> In media center I keep getting the same response
>> "extender not found,
>> setup could not find your extender,verify the following,
>> your extender is on and connected to the same network as this computer
>> your setup key is correct
>> your firewall is set up to allow upnp discovery"
>>
>> I have managed (according to the event viewer) to successfully
>> configure the pc for use with the extender, the extender tells me its
>> connected to my network although I cannot download the latest updates on
>> it as it tells me there is a connection problem, I cannot see the
>> extender when I open network sharing center "view computers and devices"
>>
>> I'm using a Belkin (N) wireless modem router connected by cable into my
>> pc, I have a squeezebox working perfectly well on my wireless network
>> which can pick up internet radio and access my music files perfectly
>> well.
>>
>> I have Norton 360, which I've tried with the firewall, on ,off,
>> completely uninstalled, windows firewall, on, off ,which is configured
>> for use with media extenders. Network discovery is on.
>>
>> I think I may have done something wrong somewhere but can't see it at
>> all, anyone throw any light on this as I would really like to get this
>> set up for xmas.
>> Thanks.
>

> --
> husky

587td is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[...]

Hi Husky
Have you managed to set it up yet and if so you would probably give me some advice.
I have the Linksys DMA 2200 and I have the same problem as you.
Regards

husky is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: Linksys DMA210 extender connection problems
Hi,

After much persistance I have managed to sort it out and it now works fine.
heres what I did:

I moved the tv and the extender tempoarily up into the office where I have my pc and wireless router, wired the extender into the tv with the hdmi cable and then wired the extender with an ethernet cable to the back of the router, I got a connection straight away and immediately checked for updates and downloaded the latest firmware using the extender setup menus, then ran through setting it up as a wired network, everything worked fine, so I put the tv and the extender back downstairs in the lounge and ran setup as a wireless network, this is where it all went wrong again same problems as before, I could only assume that somewhere there was a compatability issue between the router and the extender, so I bought two 200m powerline adapters from maplins and I ran setup on the extender again this time as a wired network and it now works fine no problems.
hope this helps.
regards.
Husky
The Following User Says Thank You to husky For This Useful Post: