No usable video from DVDs

Lone Star

No usable video from DVDs
Anyone! I have Windows Vista Home Premium, Service Pack 1, with WMP and
Media Center. All Windows patches are updated and the computer runs like a
charm. (2.3 GHz, 2 GB RAM, Dual Core CPU) Problem: when I insert a
commercial DVD and Windows Media Player starts it running, the video is
choppy with colored blocks -- unusable. The audio seems fine.

What is this? I thought Vista Home Prem could play DVDs just fine? I get
no error messages (like for CODECS or digital copyright stuff). I assume I
have the correct CODECS because of no error messages.

Any ideas? My other video -- Internet streaming, flash, and installed
Windows "how-to" movies play fine. Please advise. Thanks.

EW

Trek

Re: No usable video from DVDs
Can you take a shot of screen with camera and post it somewhere?

"Lone Star" <ewyatt_del_me-@excite.com> píše v diskusním příspěvku
> Anyone! I have Windows Vista Home Premium, Service Pack 1, with WMP and
> Media Center. All Windows patches are updated and the computer runs like
> a charm. (2.3 GHz, 2 GB RAM, Dual Core CPU) Problem: when I insert a
> commercial DVD and Windows Media Player starts it running, the video is
> choppy with colored blocks -- unusable. The audio seems fine.
>
> What is this? I thought Vista Home Prem could play DVDs just fine? I get
> no error messages (like for CODECS or digital copyright stuff). I assume
> I have the correct CODECS because of no error messages.
>
> Any ideas? My other video -- Internet streaming, flash, and installed
> Windows "how-to" movies play fine. Please advise. Thanks.
>
> EW

Curious

Re: No usable video from DVDs
Is it OK if you play the DVD in Vista Media Center instead of using Media
Player?
"Lone Star" <ewyatt_del_me-@excite.com> wrote in message
> Anyone! I have Windows Vista Home Premium, Service Pack 1, with WMP and
> Media Center. All Windows patches are updated and the computer runs like
> a charm. (2.3 GHz, 2 GB RAM, Dual Core CPU) Problem: when I insert a
> commercial DVD and Windows Media Player starts it running, the video is
> choppy with colored blocks -- unusable. The audio seems fine.
>
> What is this? I thought Vista Home Prem could play DVDs just fine? I get
> no error messages (like for CODECS or digital copyright stuff). I assume
> I have the correct CODECS because of no error messages.
>
> Any ideas? My other video -- Internet streaming, flash, and installed
> Windows "how-to" movies play fine. Please advise. Thanks.
>
> EW

Lone Star

Re: No usable video from DVDs

"Curious" <mailmenot@nomail.com> wrote in message
> Is it OK if you play the DVD in Vista Media Center instead of using Media
> Player?

No, it's exactly the same: blocky, colorful squares of "video" on both apps.
Is there any way, or location, where I can check my CODECS? Also, my video
card is an nVidia 7300 LE and seems to work fine. My "Windows Experience"
is 3.2. This is too weird! I've been a Windows user for over 20 years and
should be able to figure this out, but NOOOO!

As the other poster asked, I'll try to send a photo attachment of my screen,
but as I say, it's just a bunch of colored blocks that change as the video
scenes change. Thanks for your help.

EW

Curious

Re: No usable video from DVDs
You can use the following utility to find out what decoder is being used in
your system.

http://mediacenterexpert.blogspot.co...r-utility.html

> You can use the following utility to find out what decoder is being used
> in your system.
>
> http://mediacenterexpert.blogspot.co...r-utility.html

Thanks. Will get back with you............