WMP 11 odd problem

Mutazoia

WMP 11 odd problem

not sure if this can be fixed short of a fresh restore of Vista but...

I have several video files on my computer. After a while I got tired
of scrolling through them and made an excel file that listed the title
and various details about each file and then hyperlinked the title cell
to the video file. This was working great until the other day when a
friend sent me a file that (supposedly) had two audio tracks. After
messing around with WMP for a while and not getting it to switch audio
tracks, I installed Realmedia alternative as that boasted the ability to
switch audio tracks. It didn't work either so I unistalled it. Then WMP
wouldn't play ANY of the video files. Microsoft support site suggested
deleting the wmsdkns.xml file. It worked.....kind of. Now when I click
my hyperlink in excel WMP starts but does not play the file If I open
the folder and click the file manually it plays no problem.

so um... WTF??

P.S. have uninstalled /re-installed all my codecs etc...

--
Mutazoia
Mutazoia's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/mutazoia.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

zachd [MSFT]

Re: WMP 11 odd problem

So what command line is the hyperlink handing to the player? What's the
exact command line that the excel link is trying to run?

--
Speaking for myself only.
"Mutazoia" <Mutazoia.3knh7d@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message

> not sure if this can be fixed short of a fresh restore of Vista but...
>
> I have several video files on my computer. After a while I got tired
> of scrolling through them and made an excel file that listed the title
> and various details about each file and then hyperlinked the title cell
> to the video file. This was working great until the other day when a
> friend sent me a file that (supposedly) had two audio tracks. After
> messing around with WMP for a while and not getting it to switch audio
> tracks, I installed Realmedia alternative as that boasted the ability to
> switch audio tracks. It didn't work either so I unistalled it. Then WMP
> wouldn't play ANY of the video files. Microsoft support site suggested
> deleting the wmsdkns.xml file. It worked.....kind of. Now when I click
> my hyperlink in excel WMP starts but does not play the file If I open
> the folder and click the file manually it plays no problem.
>
> so um... WTF??
>
> P.S. have uninstalled /re-installed all my codecs etc...
>

> --
> Mutazoia
> Mutazoia's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/mutazoia.htm
> View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/vista-mus...eo/1090073.htm
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

Mutazoia

Re: WMP 11 odd problem

its a basic hyperlink straight to the file... its working for all file
types except .vob files

--
Mutazoia
Mutazoia's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/mutazoia.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/vista-mus...eo/1090073.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

zachd [MSFT]

Re: WMP 11 odd problem

TechArena is a pretty horrible site that makes helping people harder. =\

The player never created a file association to ".vob" : did you do this
yourself? What shell command did you give it? Or did you map VOB to
MPEGFile?
Is it an actual (file) HREF? Or what is the URL in question? That's
somewhat relevant.

--
Speaking for myself only.
"Mutazoia" <Mutazoia.3knmrd@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message

> its a basic hyperlink straight to the file... its working for all file
> types except .vob files
>

> --
> Mutazoia
> Mutazoia's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/mutazoia.htm
> View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/vista-mus...eo/1090073.htm
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

Mutazoia

Re: WMP 11 odd problem

the .vob files USED to play just fine in WMP. (until I installed
Realmedia Alternative.) WMP is currently set as the default player for
pretty much everything. Funny thing is if I leave WMP as the default
and try to open the file (either through the link or manually) WMP opens
but does not play the file. But if I switch the default program for the
.vob files to say VLC in the control panel when I click the link in
excel Vista says "No program is registered for this file type". (even
though I just registered the file time to a specific program.) Opening
the file manually launches VLC...

the links are basic HREF links as far as I can tell (just right click
the cell in excel and chose the hyperlink option and browse for the
file). This works for all other file types so Excel isn't the
problem...for some reason WMP has forgotten that it can play VOB files,
even after I have un-installed/re-installed my codec pack....

--
Mutazoia
Mutazoia's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/mutazoia.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/vista-mus...eo/1090073.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

zachd [MSFT]

Re: WMP 11 odd problem

Howdy, I wrote or worked on most of the code you're referring to here. The
questions I ask are very precise. If you would like help from someone who
knows this area, answering my questions would be the best way to help me
help you. Alternatively, you can try your own approach, but I alas would
not be able to guess as to your system state without answers to my
questions. =)

The player has never created a file association to ".vob" : did you do this
yourself? What shell command did you give it? Or did you map VOB to
MPEGFile?
What is a sample URL in question? That's somewhat relevant.

I'll assume the sample URL is file://c:\blah\blah\blah.vob. So now the
question is -- how was the .vob association set, if it ever was? This isn't
set by default ever. There are different methods of association, and it
sounds like you used some random third party wingding that might have
pretended to do the right thing here.

Was this XP or Vista? TechArena is a horrible site and deleted all the
previous conversation context for me, so I don't recall and you didn't
mention it again.

Anyways, go to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\
Microsoft\Multimedia\WMPlayer\Groups\Video\MPEG
Add ".vob" to "Extensions" there.
Then go to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ Microsoft\Multimedia\WMPlayer\Extensions\.mpeg
and export that to a file on your desktop. Replace ".mpeg" in the *registry
key name* with ".vob", then reimport it. You should now have the registry
key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ Microsoft\Multimedia\WMPlayer\Extensions\.vob
with appropriate settings underneath.

Now either use WMP's Tools:Options:File Types dialog on XP or the system
Default Programs:Set program access and computer defaults tool on Vista to
set WMP as the default handler for MPEG (and thus .vob).

That should likely fix you up if your system is in any sort of rational
state.

The above information is not information that I would include in a third
party product. It's meant to be a one-off hack designed to solve your
precise problem. Integrating the above in any shipping product would be
inapropriate.

Happy holidays,
-Zach
--
Speaking for myself only.
"Mutazoia" <Mutazoia.3koxzc@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message

> the .vob files USED to play just fine in WMP. (until I installed
> Realmedia Alternative.) WMP is currently set as the default player for
> pretty much everything. Funny thing is if I leave WMP as the default
> and try to open the file (either through the link or manually) WMP opens
> but does not play the file. But if I switch the default program for the
> vob files to say VLC in the control panel when I click the link in
> excel Vista says "No program is registered for this file type". (even
> though I just registered the file time to a specific program.) Opening
> the file manually launches VLC...
>
> the links are basic HREF links as far as I can tell (just right click
> the cell in excel and chose the hyperlink option and browse for the
> file). This works for all other file types so Excel isn't the
> problem...for some reason WMP has forgotten that it can play VOB files,
> even after I have un-installed/re-installed my codec pack....
>

> --
> Mutazoia
> Mutazoia's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/mutazoia.htm
> View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/vista-mus...eo/1090073.htm
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

Mutazoia

Re: WMP 11 odd problem

To associate the .vob files to WMP I installed a codec pack (k-lite) and
was able to play the .vob files just fine afterward.

The sample URL for the link is J:\video\videotitle\title.vob (as I said
the works fine with all other file extensions)

This is a Vista Home Premium system running WMP 11.0.6001.7000

I tried editing the registry as you suggested but that did not work, so
I must have done something wrong??