Movie Maker Not Functioning

glenhaworth

Movie Maker Not Functioning

I have used WMM successfully before. But recently in trying to produce a
video project, it just stopped working. It first stopped allowing me to
drag videos and pictures to the Timeline OR the Storyboard. Now, in
addition to this, it crashes as I try to Import more than one video.

I have Vista Home Premium. I have no idea what, if any, programs might
be interfering with WMM. I used the Roxio program (Video Wave) for the
last project I did, but it doesn't have some features I want that are in
WMM.

Does anyone know what I can do? Is there some way to reinstall or
restore WMM?

Thanks!

--
glenhaworth
Trek

Re: Movie Maker Not Functioning
Hi,

these symptoms are exactly codec clashes. It is quite annoying to diagnose
which codes is doing this.
Have you installed some softwares between the time it was working and now?

I.e. you probably installed some codecs and now instead of working one the
bad one is loading
on decoding video.

"glenhaworth" <guest@unknown-email.com> píše v diskusním příspěvku

> I have used WMM successfully before. But recently in trying to produce a
> video project, it just stopped working. It first stopped allowing me to
> drag videos and pictures to the Timeline OR the Storyboard. Now, in
> addition to this, it crashes as I try to Import more than one video.
>
> I have Vista Home Premium. I have no idea what, if any, programs might
> be interfering with WMM. I used the Roxio program (Video Wave) for the
> last project I did, but it doesn't have some features I want that are in
> WMM.
>
> Does anyone know what I can do? Is there some way to reinstall or
> restore WMM?
>
> Thanks!
>

> --
> glenhaworth

glenhaworth

Re: Movie Maker Not Functioning

Yes, I installed some software between the time it was working and now.
I have uninstalled the obvious ones, to no effect. But even if I find
the right program to uninstall, how does one re-install the correct
codecs so that WMM will work?

Is there any way to just install the CORRECT codecs for WMM?

--
glenhaworth
John Inzer

glenhaworth wrote:
> Yes, I installed some software between the time it was working and
> now. I have uninstalled the obvious ones, to no effect. But even if I
> find the right program to uninstall, how does one re-install the
> correct codecs so that WMM will work?
>
> Is there any way to just install the CORRECT codecs for WMM?

====================================
Open Movie Maker and go to...Tools / Options /
Compatibility tab...uncheck all the filters.

Maybe it will help.

--

John Inzer MS-MVP
Digital Media Experience

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk

glenhaworth

Re: Movie Maker Not Functioning

Thanks! I did what you suggested and it fixed the problem of importing
videos. But WMM still will not let me drag video to the Timeline or
Storyboard.

Any ideas why?

--
glenhaworth
Trek

Re: Movie Maker Not Functioning
The drag'n drop operation is not working because video is decoded by not
correct codec I guess.
I had exacly the same situation in dvd maker, I dragged there video and
nothing happened.

What I see extremely lame is that there is no message, it is just not doing
anything.
I accredit this situation to Microsoft programmers, it seems that got fat
and lazy to create notification dialog boxes.

Solution is to disable that bad codec and voila ...

Also do not install zillions of codecs for one type of video. The problem is
if you install some software (e.g. Nero) the installer
puts in the system zillions of Nero codecs that become "primary" and e.g.
dvd maker is not working with Nero codecs.

> Thanks! I did what you suggested and it fixed the problem of importing
> videos. But WMM still will not let me drag video to the Timeline or
> Storyboard.
>
> Any ideas why?
>

> --
> glenhaworth

Trek

Re: Movie Maker Not Functioning
Ok since I am in a good shape I tried to reproduce your problem and found
that for example AVerMedia MPEG Video Decoder is doing this.

Do you have Aver software?

"Trek" <trecicek_no_spam@centrum.cz> píše v diskusním příspěvku
> The drag'n drop operation is not working because video is decoded by not
> correct codec I guess.
> I had exacly the same situation in dvd maker, I dragged there video and
> nothing happened.
>
> What I see extremely lame is that there is no message, it is just not
> doing anything.
> I accredit this situation to Microsoft programmers, it seems that got fat
> and lazy to create notification dialog boxes.
>
> Solution is to disable that bad codec and voila ...
>
> Also do not install zillions of codecs for one type of video. The problem
> is if you install some software (e.g. Nero) the installer
> puts in the system zillions of Nero codecs that become "primary" and e.g.
> dvd maker is not working with Nero codecs.
>

> "glenhaworth" <guest@unknown-email.com> píše v diskusním příspěvku
>>
>> Thanks! I did what you suggested and it fixed the problem of importing
>> videos. But WMM still will not let me drag video to the Timeline or
>> Storyboard.
>>
>> Any ideas why?
>>

>> --
>> glenhaworth

glenhaworth

Re: Movie Maker Not Functioning

Ok, so how do I disable codecs?

--
glenhaworth
glenhaworth

Re: Movie Maker Not Functioning

I don't find any Aver software. I had something called AvProp plug-in
which is an AOL Instant Messenger plug-in, so I uninstalled it. But it
did not fix the problem (unless I need to reboot, which I have not done
since I uninstalled it).

--
glenhaworth
Trek

Re: Movie Maker Not Functioning
Download GSpot application

http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

open your source video in this app and press 1 in the bottom (MS A/V).
You will have there proposed codec solutions and tests

Download InstalledCodec application

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/installed_codec.html

and disable codecs shown in the gspot if they were strange.

With these two applications you can solve all codec problems in MicrosoftR
applications.