Windows DVD Maker fails at 99%

madkingsoup

Windows DVD Maker fails at 99%

Every time I try to burn a DVD using Windows DVD Maker, I get a failure
at 99%.

The status window is at "Finishing Disc. Please wait. 99.0%"
The error window simply states "Cannot create the DVD. An error
occurred when burning the DVD."
Screengrab: 'DVDMakerError.jpg - Windows Live'
(http://cid-998cda7d2c395f22.skydrive...MakerError.jpg)

I also get two error reports. I can't find anything when Googling
though.
The Dvd Maker engine returned an error code (-2147220992) when burning
the disc.
Dvd Maker returned an error code (0x80040200) when burning the disc.

I get this error whether I use a blank disc or a RW disc. Incidentally,
if I use a RW disc, the original data is still there after the failure,
so it's not even trying to write it.

And a final point - Roxio has no trouble performing the same burn with
the same data.

I hope someone knows what to do to correct this...

Thanks
George

--
madkingsoup
Trek

Re: Windows DVD Maker fails at 99%
Hi,

with similar unstable applications the best is to burn stuff in virtual cd
(software pretending cd/dvd/blue ray of your selection) - e.g. app VirtualCD
:-)
You "burn" the things to the iso image and then this image to real media
with some reliable software.

"madkingsoup" <guest@unknown-email.com> píše v diskusním příspěvku

> Every time I try to burn a DVD using Windows DVD Maker, I get a failure
> at 99%.
>
> The status window is at "Finishing Disc. Please wait. 99.0%"
> The error window simply states "Cannot create the DVD. An error
> occurred when burning the DVD."
> Screengrab: 'DVDMakerError.jpg - Windows Live'
> (http://cid-998cda7d2c395f22.skydrive...MakerError.jpg)
>
> I also get two error reports. I can't find anything when Googling
> though.
> The Dvd Maker engine returned an error code (-2147220992) when burning
> the disc.
> Dvd Maker returned an error code (0x80040200) when burning the disc.
>
> I get this error whether I use a blank disc or a RW disc. Incidentally,
> if I use a RW disc, the original data is still there after the failure,
> so it's not even trying to write it.
>
> And a final point - Roxio has no trouble performing the same burn with
> the same data.
>
> I hope someone knows what to do to correct this...
>
> Thanks
> George
>

> --
> madkingsoup

Trek

Re: Windows DVD Maker fails at 99%
PS: and Windows DVD Maker and other applications can be easily devastated by
installing codecs in the system.
Just DVD Maker is very sensible and not robust.

"Trek" <trecicek_no_spam@centrum.cz> píše v diskusním příspěvku
> Hi,
>
> with similar unstable applications the best is to burn stuff in virtual cd
> (software pretending cd/dvd/blue ray of your selection) - e.g. app
> VirtualCD :-)
> You "burn" the things to the iso image and then this image to real media
> with some reliable software.
>

> "madkingsoup" <guest@unknown-email.com> píše v diskusním příspěvku
>>
>> Every time I try to burn a DVD using Windows DVD Maker, I get a failure
>> at 99%.
>>
>> The status window is at "Finishing Disc. Please wait. 99.0%"
>> The error window simply states "Cannot create the DVD. An error
>> occurred when burning the DVD."
>> Screengrab: 'DVDMakerError.jpg - Windows Live'
>> (http://cid-998cda7d2c395f22.skydrive...MakerError.jpg)
>>
>> I also get two error reports. I can't find anything when Googling
>> though.
>> The Dvd Maker engine returned an error code (-2147220992) when burning
>> the disc.
>> Dvd Maker returned an error code (0x80040200) when burning the disc.
>>
>> I get this error whether I use a blank disc or a RW disc. Incidentally,
>> if I use a RW disc, the original data is still there after the failure,
>> so it's not even trying to write it.
>>
>> And a final point - Roxio has no trouble performing the same burn with
>> the same data.
>>
>> I hope someone knows what to do to correct this...
>>
>> Thanks
>> George
>>

>> --
>> madkingsoup

zachd [MSFT]

Re: Windows DVD Maker fails at 99%

If you give a loaded codec a query request and it explodes upon you, it's
kind of the codec that's broken. Your comment implies that DVD Maker should
be psychic and know what broken codecs people would install to their systems
that it should never ever use, which may be somewhat unrealistic.

--
Speaking for myself only.
"Trek" <trecicek_no_spam@centrum.cz> wrote in message
> PS: and Windows DVD Maker and other applications can be easily devastated
> by installing codecs in the system.
> Just DVD Maker is very sensible and not robust.
>

> "Trek" <trecicek_no_spam@centrum.cz> píše v diskusním příspěvku
>> Hi,
>>
>> with similar unstable applications the best is to burn stuff in virtual
>> cd (software pretending cd/dvd/blue ray of your selection) - e.g. app
>> VirtualCD :-)
>> You "burn" the things to the iso image and then this image to real media
>> with some reliable software.
>>

>> "madkingsoup" <guest@unknown-email.com> píše v diskusním příspěvku
>>>
>>> Every time I try to burn a DVD using Windows DVD Maker, I get a failure
>>> at 99%.
>>>
>>> The status window is at "Finishing Disc. Please wait. 99.0%"
>>> The error window simply states "Cannot create the DVD. An error
>>> occurred when burning the DVD."
>>> Screengrab: 'DVDMakerError.jpg - Windows Live'
>>> (http://cid-998cda7d2c395f22.skydrive...MakerError.jpg)
>>>
>>> I also get two error reports. I can't find anything when Googling
>>> though.
>>> The Dvd Maker engine returned an error code (-2147220992) when burning
>>> the disc.
>>> Dvd Maker returned an error code (0x80040200) when burning the disc.
>>>
>>> I get this error whether I use a blank disc or a RW disc. Incidentally,
>>> if I use a RW disc, the original data is still there after the failure,
>>> so it's not even trying to write it.
>>>
>>> And a final point - Roxio has no trouble performing the same burn with
>>> the same data.
>>>
>>> I hope someone knows what to do to correct this...
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> George
>>>

>>> --
>>> madkingsoup

Trek

Re: Windows DVD Maker fails at 99%
You are absolutely right, because these codecs can have and have poor
quality often.

But I guess Microsoft has sufficient resources to make wonderfull software
and make some "codec isolation layer",
whatever, but programmers and architects probably got fat asses and are
reluctant to work hardly.

"zachd [MSFT]" <zachd@nomailplz.online.microsoft.com> píše v diskusním
příspěvku news:uJ3b0JvXJHA.5272@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...

> If you give a loaded codec a query request and it explodes upon you, it's
> kind of the codec that's broken. Your comment implies that DVD Maker
> should be psychic and know what broken codecs people would install to
> their systems that it should never ever use, which may be somewhat
> unrealistic.
>
> --
> Speaking for myself only.
> rights.
> --
> "Trek" <trecicek_no_spam@centrum.cz> wrote in message
>> PS: and Windows DVD Maker and other applications can be easily devastated
>> by installing codecs in the system.
>> Just DVD Maker is very sensible and not robust.
>>

>> "Trek" <trecicek_no_spam@centrum.cz> píše v diskusním příspěvku
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> with similar unstable applications the best is to burn stuff in virtual
>>> cd (software pretending cd/dvd/blue ray of your selection) - e.g. app
>>> VirtualCD :-)
>>> You "burn" the things to the iso image and then this image to real media
>>> with some reliable software.
>>>

>>> "madkingsoup" <guest@unknown-email.com> píše v diskusním příspěvku

Trek

Re: Windows DVD Maker fails at 99%
For exaple right now I am trying to explain my sister, she is trying to
transfer some movies to DVD,
why DVD maker is bombing out on startup with this stopped responding crap.

Should I tell her run debugger and find out? or what?

> You are absolutely right, because these codecs can have and have poor
> quality often.
>
> But I guess Microsoft has sufficient resources to make wonderfull software
> and make some "codec isolation layer",
> whatever, but programmers and architects probably got fat asses and are
> reluctant to work hardly.
>

> "zachd [MSFT]" <zachd@nomailplz.online.microsoft.com> píše v diskusním
> příspěvku news:uJ3b0JvXJHA.5272@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>>
>> If you give a loaded codec a query request and it explodes upon you, it's
>> kind of the codec that's broken. Your comment implies that DVD Maker
>> should be psychic and know what broken codecs people would install to
>> their systems that it should never ever use, which may be somewhat
>> unrealistic.
>>
>> --
>> Speaking for myself only.
>> rights.
>> --
>> "Trek" <trecicek_no_spam@centrum.cz> wrote in message
>>> PS: and Windows DVD Maker and other applications can be easily
>>> devastated by installing codecs in the system.
>>> Just DVD Maker is very sensible and not robust.
>>>

>>> "Trek" <trecicek_no_spam@centrum.cz> píše v diskusním příspěvku

Trek

Re: Windows DVD Maker fails at 99%
Fortunatelly I am smart and I do not have fat ass as Microsoft programmers
since I like fitness so finally dvd maker is working for my sister.
Of course it was codecs.

> For exaple right now I am trying to explain my sister, she is trying to
> transfer some movies to DVD,
> why DVD maker is bombing out on startup with this stopped responding crap.
>
> Should I tell her run debugger and find out? or what?
>

> "Trek" <trecicek_no_spam@centrum.cz> píše v diskusním příspěvku
>> You are absolutely right, because these codecs can have and have poor
>> quality often.
>>
>> But I guess Microsoft has sufficient resources to make wonderfull
>> software and make some "codec isolation layer",
>> whatever, but programmers and architects probably got fat asses and are
>> reluctant to work hardly.
>>

>> "zachd [MSFT]" <zachd@nomailplz.online.microsoft.com> píše v diskusním
>> příspěvku news:uJ3b0JvXJHA.5272@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>>>
>>> If you give a loaded codec a query request and it explodes upon you,
>>> it's kind of the codec that's broken. Your comment implies that DVD
>>> Maker should be psychic and know what broken codecs people would install
>>> to their systems that it should never ever use, which may be somewhat
>>> unrealistic.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Speaking for myself only.
>>> See http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html for some helpful WMP info.
>>> rights.

zachd [MSFT]

Re: Windows DVD Maker fails at 99%

Which codec was it? Where did it come from?

--
> Fortunatelly I am smart and I do not have fat ass as Microsoft programmers
> since I like fitness so finally dvd maker is working for my sister.
> Of course it was codecs.
>

> "Trek" <trecicek_no_spam@centrum.cz> píše v diskusním příspěvku
>> For exaple right now I am trying to explain my sister, she is trying to
>> transfer some movies to DVD,
>> why DVD maker is bombing out on startup with this stopped responding
>> crap.
>>
>> Should I tell her run debugger and find out? or what?
>>

>> "Trek" <trecicek_no_spam@centrum.cz> píše v diskusním příspěvku
>>> You are absolutely right, because these codecs can have and have poor
>>> quality often.
>>>
>>> But I guess Microsoft has sufficient resources to make wonderfull
>>> software and make some "codec isolation layer",
>>> whatever, but programmers and architects probably got fat asses and are
>>> reluctant to work hardly.
>>>

>>> "zachd [MSFT]" <zachd@nomailplz.online.microsoft.com> píše v diskusním
>>> příspěvku news:uJ3b0JvXJHA.5272@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...

zachd [MSFT]

Re: Windows DVD Maker fails at 99%

I respect that you're not a developer and don't really understand this area.
Malicious or bad codecs is an extreme annoyance to all involved and an
extremely non-trivial area to address.

Here's a thought: don't install software you don't trust. If you install a
trojan, it might be hard for Windows to stop it from killing your system.
If you install random software, it might do random things. I'd personally
suggest only installing codecs or software from reputable vendors, but it is
indeed your choice to pollute your system. This is why lots of things have
uninstalls.

I would note that most of the sources of these egregiously bad codecs are
via pirated installs, which ties into "you get what you pay for".

I think it's probably possible to address this issue in a respectful fashion
both ways. If there are things you think I can learn, it's probably easiest
to express those novel concepts eloquently as opposed to passionately. =)

--
Speaking for myself only.
"Trek" <trecicek_no_spam@centrum.cz> wrote in message
> You are absolutely right, because these codecs can have and have poor
> quality often.
>
> But I guess Microsoft has sufficient resources to make wonderfull software
> and make some "codec isolation layer",
> whatever, but programmers and architects probably got fat asses and are
> reluctant to work hardly.
>

> "zachd [MSFT]" <zachd@nomailplz.online.microsoft.com> píše v diskusním
> příspěvku news:uJ3b0JvXJHA.5272@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>>
>> If you give a loaded codec a query request and it explodes upon you, it's
>> kind of the codec that's broken. Your comment implies that DVD Maker
>> should be psychic and know what broken codecs people would install to
>> their systems that it should never ever use, which may be somewhat
>> unrealistic.
>>
>> --
>> Speaking for myself only.
>> rights.
>> --
>> "Trek" <trecicek_no_spam@centrum.cz> wrote in message
>>> PS: and Windows DVD Maker and other applications can be easily
>>> devastated by installing codecs in the system.
>>> Just DVD Maker is very sensible and not robust.
>>>

>>> "Trek" <trecicek_no_spam@centrum.cz> píše v diskusním příspěvku

Trek

Re: Windows DVD Maker fails at 99%
It was some sort of Czech build of xvid codec that caused DVD maker to
crash.
So we reinstalled that with http://www.divxmovies.com/codec/ and this one
was working.

Otherwise I am sw developer :-)