2x dvd-rw media

DiDi

2x dvd-rw media
can I write and play on 2x DVD-rw media with the newer drivers (4x etc.).
Curious

Re: 2x dvd-rw media
No, it is the DVD manufacturing process that determines the maximum speed
that can be used to create an error free recording. Writing at a higher
speed would just result in creating an unreadable disk.
"DiDi" <Iam@Shangrila.net> wrote in message
> can I write and play on 2x DVD-rw media with the newer drivers (4x etc.).

DiDi

Re: 2x dvd-rw media
I don't think I was clear. I bought 2x discs and wanted to know if I could
write on them and play them with a faster player. So I assume from what you
said the answer is "yes they will work". ?
"Curious" <mailmenot@nomail.com> wrote in message
> No, it is the DVD manufacturing process that determines the maximum speed
> that can be used to create an error free recording. Writing at a higher
> speed would just result in creating an unreadable disk.
> "DiDi" <Iam@Shangrila.net> wrote in message
>> can I write and play on 2x DVD-rw media with the newer drivers (4x etc.).

Curious

Re: 2x dvd-rw media
No, you cannot write on them with at a faster rate then 2X since they are
not capable of being written error free at any speed faster then 2X. There
is nothing to prevent you from trying to read them at a faster rate however,
I don't know what that would accomplish since you certainly don't want to
watch a movie at any speed except 1X.
>I don't think I was clear. I bought 2x discs and wanted to know if I could
>write on them and play them with a faster player. So I assume from what you
>said the answer is "yes they will work". ?
> "Curious" <mailmenot@nomail.com> wrote in message
>> No, it is the DVD manufacturing process that determines the maximum speed
>> that can be used to create an error free recording. Writing at a higher
>> speed would just result in creating an unreadable disk.
>> "DiDi" <Iam@Shangrila.net> wrote in message
>>> can I write and play on 2x DVD-rw media with the newer drivers (4x
>>> etc.).

James Hahn

Re: 2x dvd-rw media
If the writer does not detect that those disks are 2x write speed maximum,
then you will need to manually select the write speed as 2x (or less). Most
writers allow you to select the write speed.

"DiDi" <Iam@Shangrila.net> wrote in message
> can I write and play on 2x DVD-rw media with the newer drivers (4x etc.).

DiDi

Re: 2x dvd-rw media
Well while I was waiting for a reply, I took one of the 2X DVD-RW discs and
copied a recorded TV program from my computer. I then played it on my
DVD/VHS
PLAYER/WRITER and was able to watch it without any apparent errors. Keep
them?

"James Hahn" <jhahn@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> If the writer does not detect that those disks are 2x write speed maximum,
> then you will need to manually select the write speed as 2x (or less).
> Most writers allow you to select the write speed.
>
> "DiDi" <Iam@Shangrila.net> wrote in message
>> can I write and play on 2x DVD-rw media with the newer drivers (4x etc.).

Cari \(MS-MVP\)

Re: 2x dvd-rw media
Yes, it should default back to the slowest speed the disk can handle.
--
Cari (MS-MVP) Printing & Imaging
www.coribright.com/windows

"DiDi" <Iam@Shangrila.net> wrote in message
> can I write and play on 2x DVD-rw media with the newer drivers (4x etc.).

DiDi

Re: 2x dvd-rw media
Thank you, Cari.
news480374D-4CE9-47DB-8237-F2F7C24C2F1B@microsoft.com...