Re: No Audio Output Device is Installed.

khheather

Re: No Audio Output Device is Installed.

I have a few laptops, but I purchased one on the eve of Vista coming out
it's got a hot processor AMD Turion 64x2 duo. It came "Vista capable"
with XP installed. However, shortly after I b. Brought it home, there
was an accident and the screen cracked. Now a lot of time has passed. I
bought a new screen and installed it. The next problem was the hard
disk. A million blue death screens, failed boots, and SMART hard disk
warnings later, I finally bought a new hard disk. I put it in last
night, and like most everyone here, the upgrade to Vista (also installed
last night) caused the little *red x* next to the volume symbol on my
task bar.

I've probably read 50 + posts on this topic, but everyone says
something different and no one seems to reach a consensus. Some people
saying uninstall audio device and reinstall. Well, I tried a bunch of
these suggestions to no avail. But guess what, folks? Right now I'm
writing on that computer, and watching my TV by way of Sling Box video
stream, and I can hear it as well as see it! Audio back in great shape!

What did I do? Tired of trying everyone's suggestions that did't work,
I went over to microsoft tech forums. This is common problem; here's the
solution.
Control Panel to system to device manager. Scroll down and find sound,
video, and game controllers. Now my audio device is supposed to be
Sigmatel Hight Definition Audio CODEC. Now, this device was int he
device manager list last night, and it had a driver, and when I let my
computer use my internet connection to look for an updated driver, it
responded that I had the best driver available. But the computer was
dead wrong!

Microsoft suggested a couple of things. First, if you haven't dowloaded
Vista yet or are a-tinkering with it, use their smart Vista install
assistant (it's called something like that). Second use their list or
(for best results) go to the site of your mother board (Gateway,
Toshiba, Sony, etc.) and get the appropriate driver update for your
audio device. And just so I did't screw up by putting the driver in the
wrong folder, I simply *ran* the downloaded driver, and it put itself in
the right spot. Looked down at task bar. All's well that ends well! Good
luck.

--
khheather
khheather's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/khheather.htm