WMV file won't play correctly

Gil80

WMV file won't play correctly

Hi all.

I've recently noticed that my Vista won't play the WMV file correctly.
It's jaggy, lots of stuck frames and delay with sound as if something
is wrong with the file but it happens with all WMV file. I tried to open
the file with other players such as MV2player, and Winamp but they all
show different problems such as sound sync or jaggy (jumping) frames. My
default player is the windows media player.

I use Vista 64 SP1 and I installed have *version 4.7.3 *of the Vista
Codec Packag.

Please help me solve this issue.

Thanks

--
Gil80
oscar

RE: WMV file won't play correctly
Hi,

Vista is an operating system. It doesn't play anything. WMP and other video
media software packages play video clips. If your WMV clips can't be played
by WMP or other 3rd part software video players then look at:

1) possibility of WMV files being corrupted. Sometimes video files can be
corrupted when migrated from one HD to another.
2) video software drivers
3) video hardware
4) some third party software that interfers with video playing such as free
software that comes with MP3 players or free software that may have been
downloaded from the internet
5) video hardware

or... do a System Restore to a time when WMP did work properly.

--
oscar

....Right click is your very good friend...

"Gil80" wrote:

> Hi all.
>
> I've recently noticed that my Vista won't play the WMV file correctly.
> It's jaggy, lots of stuck frames and delay with sound as if something
> is wrong with the file but it happens with all WMV file. I tried to open
> the file with other players such as MV2player, and Winamp but they all
> show different problems such as sound sync or jaggy (jumping) frames. My
> default player is the windows media player.
>
> I use Vista 64 SP1 and I installed have *version 4.7.3 *of the Vista
> Codec Packag.
>
> Please help me solve this issue.
>
> Thanks
>

> --
> Gil80

CodyG [Windows Team]

Re: WMV file won't play correctly

Gil80-
Hi, my nameís Cody, and Iím working with the Windows Media Outreach
Team to help answer questions folks might have about their copies of
Windows Media Player.

Oscar's right. . .a system restore might be a great way to quickly fix
the issue. However,if your issue does involve codecs thereís a few ways
to solve it. Instead of just randomly downloading codec packs with the
hope that one of them works, Iíd recommend downloading a codec tool that
will analyze your particular video file and tell you exactly what
codec(s) youíll need to play the files.

Here are a couple of free tools that will do this for you: Gspot
('GSpot Codec Information Appliance' (http://www.headbands.com/gspot/))
and Sherlock ('SHERLOCK - The Codec Detective - FREE Codec Check
Checking Utility!'
(http://www.updatexp.com/sherlock-codec-detective.html)) Both of these
work great, and using these on your particular file will tell you what
codecs you need to get a file running properly, without making you
download anything that you donít need.

You two also might want to check out this page: 'Using codecs'
(http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...faq/codec.mspx)
Itís a great guide to codecs that Microsoft has made available.

I hope this is helpful! Let me know if any of these work for you, or if
Oscar's advice got your problem solved! If youíre still having trouble,
Iíll dig around and see if something else might work.

Thanks,

Cody

'CodyG [Windows Team Wrote:
> ;899821']Gil80-
> Hi, my nameís Cody, and Iím working with the Windows Media Outreach
> Team to help answer questions folks might have about their copies of
> Windows Media Player.
>
> Oscar's right. . .a system restore might be a great way to quickly fix
> the issue. However,if your issue does involve codecs thereís a few ways
> to solve it. Instead of just randomly downloading codec packs with the
> hope that one of them works, Iíd recommend downloading a codec tool that
> will analyze your particular video file and tell you exactly what
> codec(s) youíll need to play the files.
>
> Here are a couple of free tools that will do this for you: Gspot
> ('GSpot Codec Information Appliance' (http://www.headbands.com/gspot/))
> and Sherlock ('SHERLOCK - The Codec Detective - FREE Codec Check
> Checking Utility!'
> (http://www.updatexp.com/sherlock-codec-detective.html)) Both of these
> work great, and using these on your particular file will tell you what
> codecs you need to get a file running properly, without making you
> download anything that you donít need.
>
> You two also might want to check out this page: 'Using codecs'
> (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...faq/codec.mspx)
> Itís a great guide to codecs that Microsoft has made available.
>
> I hope this is helpful! Let me know if any of these work for you, or if
> Oscar's advice got your problem solved! If youíre still having trouble,
> Iíll dig around and see if something else might work.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Cody
> Windows Media Outreach Team

Hi Cody and thank you for your reply.

I've tested the WMV file on a different computer and it played
correctly (e.g., smoothly without jumpy frames).
I've removed all the codecs I've installed (I have a fresh install of
Vista64) and all the Microsoft Visual C++ components related to it. I
used CCleaner to remove any leftovers.

I then downloaded the Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 from Microsoft Vista
and installed the latest Codecs from 'Developer page - Shark007 -
Softpedia'
(http://www.softpedia.com/developer/Shark007-16851.html)*'Vista Codec
Package 5.0.3 by Shark007' (http://shark007.net/vistacodecpackage.html)

*I played the file once more and the problem persists. I used MV2Player
and it played correctly. So for now I made it my default player for WMV
files.

Gil.
*
'' (http://shark007.net/vistacodecpackage.html)** *

--
Gil80
CodyG [Windows Team]

Re: WMV file won't play correctly

Gil80-
Sorry to hear that you're still having problems with WMP, but at least
you found a way to get your videos working! Unfprtunately, Oscar's
earlier post is fairly accurate. . .there could be any number of things
causing your issue. The fact that the file played smoothly on a
different system still leads me to believe that there's an issue with
drivers and/or codecs on your particular computer. Are your video card
drivers up to date?
Cody

'CodyG [Windows Team Wrote:
> ;900382']Gil80-
> Sorry to hear that you're still having problems with WMP, but at least
> you found a way to get your videos working! Unfprtunately, Oscar's
> earlier post is fairly accurate. . .there could be any number of things
> causing your issue. The fact that the file played smoothly on a
> different system still leads me to believe that there's an issue with
> drivers and/or codecs on your particular computer. Are your video card
> drivers up to date?
> Cody
> Windows Media Outreach Team

Yes they are up to date.

Thanks anyway

Gil

--
Gil80
zachd [MSFT]

Re: WMV file won't play correctly

Note that Shark's pack deliberately installs VERY old very broken Windows
Media components. If you're having problems on a system with that, I'm not
surprised. At one point that might have been good, but -- things change.

The CCCP pack is the only one that I know of that's actually sane-ish.

--
Speaking for myself only.