Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Video (DivX/xVid AVI) Meta Tags

microsoft.public.windows.vista.music pictures video






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 11-24-2008
Dzomlija
 

Posts: n/a
Video (DivX/xVid AVI) Meta Tags

Does anyone know of a way to embed meta tags into DivX AVI files?

I use Window Live Photo Gallery (that oddly enough also shows videos)
to tag all my images and videos with keywords such as show title,
actors, etc...

But if I clear the Gallery database and re-initialize it (or copy a new
AVI file from backup disk onto the hard disk), then the Videos show up
as untagged.

Is there is way to embed the metadata into the AVI files so that the
information is preserved, even if the file is later moved to another
computer, similar in fashion to the XMP, IPTC or EXIF tags of JPEG
files?


--
Dzomlija

*PETER ALEXANDER DZOMLIJA*
-Do you hear, huh? The Alpha and The Omega? Death and Rebirth? And as
you die, so shall I be Reborn...-

http://www.phx.co.za/
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 11-24-2008
John Inzer
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Video (DivX/xVid AVI) Meta Tags
Dzomlija wrote:
> Does anyone know of a way to embed meta tags into DivX AVI files?
>
> I use Window Live Photo Gallery (that oddly enough also shows videos)
> to tag all my images and videos with keywords such as show title,
> actors, etc...
>
> But if I clear the Gallery database and re-initialize it (or copy a
> new AVI file from backup disk onto the hard disk), then the Videos
> show up as untagged.
>
> Is there is way to embed the metadata into the AVI files so that the
> information is preserved, even if the file is later moved to another
> computer, similar in fashion to the XMP, IPTC or EXIF tags of JPEG
> files?

================================
If you right click one of your DivX AVI files
and choose...Properties / Summary tab /
Simple or Advanced button...you will notice
you cannot enter information the way you
can on a JPEG (for example).

IOW...there is no way for Windows to 'write
back' to the .avi file. Your tags will be archived
in the Pictures.pd4 file so if you delete or
rename the .pd4 file...your tags are gone.

--

John Inzer MS-MVP
Digital Media Experience

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 11-24-2008
Dzomlija
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Video (DivX/xVid AVI) Meta Tags

John Inzer;894065 Wrote:
> Dzomlija wrote:> > >
> > > Does anyone know of a way to embed meta tags into DivX AVI files?
> > >
> > > I use Window Live Photo Gallery (that oddly enough also shows videos)
> > > to tag all my images and videos with keywords such as show title,
> > > actors, etc...
> > >
> > > But if I clear the Gallery database and re-initialize it (or copy a
> > > new AVI file from backup disk onto the hard disk), then the Videos
> > > show up as untagged.
> > >
> > > Is there is way to embed the metadata into the AVI files so that the
> > > information is preserved, even if the file is later moved to another
> > > computer, similar in fashion to the XMP, IPTC or EXIF tags of JPEG
> > > files? > >

> ================================
> If you right click one of your DivX AVI files
> and choose...Properties / Summary tab /
> Simple or Advanced button...you will notice
> you cannot enter information the way you
> can on a JPEG (for example).
>
> IOW...there is no way for Windows to 'write
> back' to the .avi file. Your tags will be archived
> in the Pictures.pd4 file so if you delete or
> rename the .pd4 file...your tags are gone.
>
> --
>
> John Inzer MS-MVP
> Digital Media Experience
>
> Notice
> This is not tech support
> I am a volunteer
>
> Solutions that work for
> me may not work for you
>
> Proceed at your own risk


Thanks for the reply, John.

This I knew, but I guess I was hoping that somebody had a way of doing
it.

I guess I'll have to wait for Windows 7 with it's built-in support for
DivX, so maybe it'll also then support XMP metatags for AVI files...


--
Dzomlija

*PETER ALEXANDER DZOMLIJA*
-Do you hear, huh? The Alpha and The Omega? Death and Rebirth? And as
you die, so shall I be Reborn...-

http://www.phx.co.za/
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 11-24-2008
John Inzer
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Video (DivX/xVid AVI) Meta Tags
Dzomlija wrote:
> Thanks for the reply, John.
>
> This I knew, but I guess I was hoping that somebody had a way of doing
> it.
>
> I guess I'll have to wait for Windows 7 with it's built-in support for
> DivX, so maybe it'll also then support XMP metatags for AVI files...

=======================
You're welcome.

--

John Inzer MS-MVP
Digital Media Experience

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk


Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 11-25-2008
zachd [MSFT]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Video (DivX/xVid AVI) Meta Tags

"Dzomlija" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message
news:a41b7eef64fa9bbdba41778e98bc8d40@nntp-gateway.com...
> I guess I'll have to wait for Windows 7 with it's built-in support for
> DivX, so maybe it'll also then support XMP metatags for AVI files...


RIFF (AVI) metadata is poor: that won't likely happen. If you want a rich
metadata format, WMV or MP4 would be a much wiser choice.

--
Speaking for myself only.
See http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html for some helpful WMP info.
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 01-19-2009
Tig3RStyluS
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Video (DivX/xVid AVI) Meta Tags

You can install abcAVI Tag Editor. It does allow you to add tags to
DivX/Xvid files encoded AVI Files. Its a little old now, so the UI is a
bit clunky but it works.


--
Tig3RStyluS
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tig3RStyluS's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/tig3rstylus.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/vista-mus...eo/1076817.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 05-12-2010
opCaron
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Video (DivX/xVid AVI) Meta Tags

You can use Apple Quicktime Pro 7 to add Meta Data

David C.

Optimum Productions
-Full Service Video Production Company-
'www.optimumproductions.net' (http://www.optimumproductions.net)


--
opCaron
------------------------------------------------------------------------
opCaron's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/219567.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/vista-mus...eo/1076817.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 21:29.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120