help with pc video formats and dvd

KRK

help with pc video formats and dvd
Hello,

Can anyone point me to a site or document that explains in layman's language
what the various pc video formats, eg mpg, avi, mov are, and how they relate
to a dvd format ?

If I use Windows Moviemaker I can collect several vids together and publish
them as a single vid, but if I publish to my pc should I use 'recommended
format for my pc' or 'DV-PAL' (which gives a 10 or 100 times bigger
file) if I want ulimately to burn the file to a dvd to watch on my TV.

I find the help pages very confusing and I need an 'idiot's guide' .

If I convert between formats do I lose quality ?

Does Moviemaker 'finalise' the dvd or can I add more files to it later ?

Help please, & thanks

KK (confused)

John Inzer

Re: help with pc video formats and dvd
KRK wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Can anyone point me to a site or document that explains in layman's
> language what the various pc video formats, eg mpg, avi, mov are, and
> how they relate to a dvd format ?

Long answer with many links...keep scrolling...

The best format for creating a Video DVD would
be DV-AVI. Next best would be .wmv.

Which file type should I use in Movie Maker?
http://tinyurl.com/6n66g3
or...
http://www.myvideoproblems.com/Tutor...MovieMaker.htm

File type compatibility with Movie Maker
http://tinyurl.com/v8tee
or...
http://www.myvideoproblems.com/Tutor...patibility.htm

And BTW there are custom profiles that can
be used in Movie Maker that may be worth a
try (you can even create your own).

Movie Maker 2 - Saving
Movies - Custom WMV Profiles
http://tinyurl.com/s2vgu
or...
http://www.papajohn.org/MM2-SavingMo...mProfiles.html

Creating Custom Profiles
for Windows Movie Maker 2
http://tinyurl.com/cuny7
or...
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...omprofile.mspx
> If I use Windows Moviemaker I can collect several vids together and
> publish them as a single vid, but if I publish to my pc should I use
> 'recommended format for my pc' or 'DV-PAL' (which gives a 10 or
> 100 times bigger file) if I want ulimately to burn the file to a dvd
> to watch on my TV. I find the help pages very confusing and I need an
> 'idiot's guide' .
>
> If I convert between formats do I lose quality ?

Yes, you may lose some resolution when converting from
one video format to another.

If you have the Home Premium or Ultimate version
of Vista...you have Windows DVD Maker.

Windows Vista -
Help and How To:
Windows DVD Maker
http://tinyurl.com/yusbhl
or...
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/win...=&qu=dvd+maker
> Does Moviemaker 'finalise' the dvd or can I add more files to it
> later ?

You can add additional files to a Data DVD
but not to a Video DVD.
> Help please, & thanks
>
> KK (confused)

Yes...video editing can be frustrating and confusing
but it's also lots of fun. Hang in there.

A good source of additional info:

Windows Movie Maker Forum
http://tinyurl.com/2bwwyk
or...
http://www.windowsmoviemakers.net/Fo...spx?ForumID=32

--

John Inzer MS-MVP
Digital Media Experience

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk

KRK

Re: help with pc video formats and dvd --- THANKS
Many thanks for the help, ......

"John Inzer" <oobie@doobie.xyz> wrote in message
> [...]

>> 'idiot's guide' .
>>
>> If I convert between formats do I lose quality ?

> Yes, you may lose some resolution when converting from
> one video format to another.
>
> If you have the Home Premium or Ultimate version
> of Vista...you have Windows DVD Maker.
>
> Windows Vista -
> Help and How To:
> Windows DVD Maker
> http://tinyurl.com/yusbhl
> or...
> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/win...=&qu=dvd+maker
>> Does Moviemaker 'finalise' the dvd or can I add more files to it
>> later ?

> You can add additional files to a Data DVD
> but not to a Video DVD.
>> Help please, & thanks
>>
>> KK (confused)

> Yes...video editing can be frustrating and confusing
> but it's also lots of fun. Hang in there.

John Inzer

KRK wrote:
> Many thanks for the help, ......

===========================