Windows Media Player Aspect Ratio

bnmohan via WindowsKB.com

Windows Media Player Aspect Ratio
Hi!

Oh yes: there a million posts that say NowPlaying->More Options->devices-
>Devices->display : Properties and CHANGE

Only the shape of the ellipse changes most obligingly.
But I want to change the aspect ration of the VIDEO.

The one that made me look for this was a Cinemascope movie showing up all
squished.

I thought it was a incorrectly made DVD (?) copied from Video tape. I tried
ohter DVDs, but all are the same. WMP says Digital Media may restart, but
nothing like that happens.

No player can play in the correct aspect ratio.

But GMPLAYER.EXE can play it in Cinemascope, and change the aspect ratio
between 16:9, 4:3, 2.35:1, and original. GMPLAYER is originally for Linux.

So it is not my graphics card.

I hopefully tried 'Run as administrator' when nobody was looking, but nothing
happened.

Is wmp 11 fixed at 4:3?

I have updated my Vista Home Premium to just before SP1 : ie that is the only
update pending. (435 MB!!!!)

Wonder if there is a solution? or at least an explanation.

Regards,

Mohan

zachd [MSFT]

Re: Windows Media Player Aspect Ratio

You don't mention the file type nor the aspect ratio specified in the video.
Or - is that a problem for all playback?

--
Speaking for myself only.
"bnmohan via WindowsKB.com" <u35859@uwe> wrote in message
> Hi!
>
> Oh yes: there a million posts that say NowPlaying->More Options->devices-
>>Devices->display : Properties and CHANGE

> Only the shape of the ellipse changes most obligingly.
> But I want to change the aspect ration of the VIDEO.
>
> The one that made me look for this was a Cinemascope movie showing up all
> squished.
>
> I thought it was a incorrectly made DVD (?) copied from Video tape. I
> tried
> ohter DVDs, but all are the same. WMP says Digital Media may restart, but
> nothing like that happens.
>
> No player can play in the correct aspect ratio.
>
> But GMPLAYER.EXE can play it in Cinemascope, and change the aspect ratio
> between 16:9, 4:3, 2.35:1, and original. GMPLAYER is originally for Linux.
>
> So it is not my graphics card.
>
> I hopefully tried 'Run as administrator' when nobody was looking, but
> nothing
> happened.
>
> Is wmp 11 fixed at 4:3?
>
> I have updated my Vista Home Premium to just before SP1 : ie that is the
> only
> update pending. (435 MB!!!!)
>
> Wonder if there is a solution? or at least an explanation.
>
> Regards,
>
> Mohan

bnmohan via WindowsKB.com

Re: Windows Media Player Aspect Ratio
It is a dvd : the correct aspect ratio should have been cinemascope.

But I cannot change the aspect ratio of any media that is playing.

On applying aspect ratio changes, while playing the DVD, the message says
that any digital media will restart, but that does not happen.
While playing avi files from harddisk, the video does restart, but the aspect
ration remains unchanged.

Is it that if the aspect ratio information is recorded with the video, it
will not be changed?

As I mentioned earlier, GMPLAYER could shift between standard aspect ratios.

Is there any specific debugging info I could provide?

Mohan

zachd [MSFT] wrote:
>You don't mention the file type nor the aspect ratio specified in the video.
>Or - is that a problem for all playback?
>
>> Hi!
>>

>[quoted text clipped - 34 lines]
>>
>> Mohan

WJB

Re: Windows Media Player Aspect Ratio
I too have a similar issue. I have a pre-recorded video that is recorded in
4:3 aspect ratio, but was uploaded as a 16:9 format. When I play it in WMP,
the video appears compressed vertically with black bars on both sides. Is
there any way I can horizontally "stretch" the video and thereby remove the
black bars and restore the original 4:3 format? And if WMP cannot do that, do
you know of any software that will perform this function?

Thanks

"zachd [MSFT]" wrote:

> You don't mention the file type nor the aspect ratio specified in the video.
> Or - is that a problem for all playback?
>
> --
> Speaking for myself only.
> "bnmohan via WindowsKB.com" <u35859@uwe> wrote in message
> > Hi!
> >
> > Oh yes: there a million posts that say NowPlaying->More Options->devices-
> >>Devices->display : Properties and CHANGE

> > Only the shape of the ellipse changes most obligingly.
> > But I want to change the aspect ration of the VIDEO.
> >
> > The one that made me look for this was a Cinemascope movie showing up all
> > squished.
> >
> > I thought it was a incorrectly made DVD (?) copied from Video tape. I
> > tried
> > ohter DVDs, but all are the same. WMP says Digital Media may restart, but
> > nothing like that happens.
> >
> > No player can play in the correct aspect ratio.
> >
> > But GMPLAYER.EXE can play it in Cinemascope, and change the aspect ratio
> > between 16:9, 4:3, 2.35:1, and original. GMPLAYER is originally for Linux.
> >
> > So it is not my graphics card.
> >
> > I hopefully tried 'Run as administrator' when nobody was looking, but
> > nothing
> > happened.
> >
> > Is wmp 11 fixed at 4:3?
> >
> > I have updated my Vista Home Premium to just before SP1 : ie that is the
> > only
> > update pending. (435 MB!!!!)
> >
> > Wonder if there is a solution? or at least an explanation.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Mohan

Curious

Re: Windows Media Player Aspect Ratio
If you uploaded a 4:3 aspect ratio file in 16:9 aspect ratio then the
unloading software would do just like the networks do it would convert the
4:3 aspect ration video to 16;9 by adding black side bars to the actual
video content. It appears that you are then displaying this on a 4:3 aspect
ratio screen and desktop which of course would squeeze unless you have an
option to letterbox it which would provide video with black bars all the way
around.
Can you reload the files in 4:3 aspect ratio?
"WJB" <WJB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I too have a similar issue. I have a pre-recorded video that is recorded in
> 4:3 aspect ratio, but was uploaded as a 16:9 format. When I play it in
> WMP,
> the video appears compressed vertically with black bars on both sides. Is
> there any way I can horizontally "stretch" the video and thereby remove
> the
> black bars and restore the original 4:3 format? And if WMP cannot do that,
> do
> you know of any software that will perform this function?
>
> Thanks
>
> "zachd [MSFT]" wrote:
>

>> You don't mention the file type nor the aspect ratio specified in the
>> video.
>> Or - is that a problem for all playback?
>>
>> --
>> Speaking for myself only.
>> rights.
>> --
>> "bnmohan via WindowsKB.com" <u35859@uwe> wrote in message
>> > Hi!
>> >
>> > Oh yes: there a million posts that say NowPlaying->More
>> > Options->devices-
>> >
>> > Only the shape of the ellipse changes most obligingly.
>> > But I want to change the aspect ration of the VIDEO.
>> >
>> > The one that made me look for this was a Cinemascope movie showing up
>> > all
>> > squished.
>> >
>> > I thought it was a incorrectly made DVD (?) copied from Video tape. I
>> > tried
>> > ohter DVDs, but all are the same. WMP says Digital Media may restart,
>> > but
>> > nothing like that happens.
>> >
>> > No player can play in the correct aspect ratio.
>> >
>> > But GMPLAYER.EXE can play it in Cinemascope, and change the aspect
>> > ratio
>> > between 16:9, 4:3, 2.35:1, and original. GMPLAYER is originally for
>> > Linux.
>> >
>> > So it is not my graphics card.
>> >
>> > I hopefully tried 'Run as administrator' when nobody was looking, but
>> > nothing
>> > happened.
>> >
>> > Is wmp 11 fixed at 4:3?
>> >
>> > I have updated my Vista Home Premium to just before SP1 : ie that is
>> > the
>> > only
>> > update pending. (435 MB!!!!)
>> >
>> > Wonder if there is a solution? or at least an explanation.
>> >
>> > Regards,
>> >
>> > Mohan

WJB

Re: Windows Media Player Aspect Ratio
No, unfortunately I do not have the ability to re-upload the video. The
original is lost. That's why I was hoping that WMP has a feature similar to
the one I have in my DVR where it can "stretch" the picture horizontally at
the expense of the two areas on the sides, which in this case, are useless
black bars.

Do you know of any 3rd party software that can do that?

Thanks.

"Curious" wrote:

> If you uploaded a 4:3 aspect ratio file in 16:9 aspect ratio then the
> unloading software would do just like the networks do it would convert the
> 4:3 aspect ration video to 16;9 by adding black side bars to the actual
> video content. It appears that you are then displaying this on a 4:3 aspect
> ratio screen and desktop which of course would squeeze unless you have an
> option to letterbox it which would provide video with black bars all the way
> around.
> Can you reload the files in 4:3 aspect ratio?
> "WJB" <WJB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I too have a similar issue. I have a pre-recorded video that is recorded in
> > 4:3 aspect ratio, but was uploaded as a 16:9 format. When I play it in
> > WMP,
> > the video appears compressed vertically with black bars on both sides. Is
> > there any way I can horizontally "stretch" the video and thereby remove
> > the
> > black bars and restore the original 4:3 format? And if WMP cannot do that,
> > do
> > you know of any software that will perform this function?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > "zachd [MSFT]" wrote:
> >

> >> You don't mention the file type nor the aspect ratio specified in the
> >> video.
> >> Or - is that a problem for all playback?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Speaking for myself only.
> >> See http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html for some helpful WMP info.
> >> rights.

Curious

Re: Windows Media Player Aspect Ratio
You would need a product that would "center cut" the content of your 16:9
files back to 4;3 files. You may try google;

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&r... &btnG=Search