Problems with MPG's

Lambi000

Problems with MPG's
I created an MPG on a Windows XP PC using Windows movie maker and have been
successfully transferring it, via my flash drive, to other XP PC's.
Everybody has been able to view it using Windows Media Player. I now need to
transfer it to a DVD to send overseas but none of us has a DVD burner.

I brought the flash stick home and transferred the MPG file over to my Vista
Home Premium PC and have had no luck viewing the movie. So then I burned a
CD with the MPG on it, transferred it to the Vista PC and the movie stiil
doesn't work right.

What essentially happens is that the movie video stops at a certain point
but the sound continues. QuickTime, however, shows me the whole movie, video
and all, on the Vista PC. So I know the file is there and runs. I also
tried some video producer software, on which I could see the MPG, but it
wouldn't burn the whole movie.

The MPG in question is 529 MG, so it's not huge. Why am I having this
problem?

By the way, I had one heck of a time getting to use this discussion group.
What's with the Vista Discussion Group website? Weird.

Thanks!
John Inzer

Re: Problems with MPG's
Lambi000 wrote:
> I created an MPG on a Windows XP PC using Windows movie maker and
> have been successfully transferring it, via my flash drive, to other
> XP PC's. Everybody has been able to view it using Windows Media
> Player. I now need to transfer it to a DVD to send overseas but none
> of us has a DVD burner.
>
> I brought the flash stick home and transferred the MPG file over to
> my Vista Home Premium PC and have had no luck viewing the movie. So
> then I burned a CD with the MPG on it, transferred it to the Vista PC
> and the movie stiil doesn't work right.
>
> What essentially happens is that the movie video stops at a certain
> point but the sound continues. QuickTime, however, shows me the
> whole movie, video and all, on the Vista PC. So I know the file is
> there and runs. I also tried some video producer software, on which
> I could see the MPG, but it wouldn't burn the whole movie.
>
> The MPG in question is 529 MG, so it's not huge. Why am I having this
> problem?
>
> By the way, I had one heck of a time getting to use this discussion
> group. What's with the Vista Discussion Group website? Weird.
>
> Thanks!

==============================
Something is amiss in this info because
Windows Movie Maker does not / cannot
save a movie clip in the .mpg format.

Look at the file name of your video and
tell us the extension...
.wmv? .avi? .mswmm?

The best way to access newsgroups is
through Outlook Express (XP) or Windows
Mail (Vista).

The Microsoft newsgroup server is:
news.microsoft.com

Windows XP
How do I configure Outlook Express
to view and post to newsgroups?
http://tinyurl.com/6ew4o6
or...
http://chat-staging.comcastsupport.c...9-61408df0ec4a

Windows Vista -
Accessing Newsgroups
With Windows Mail
http://tinyurl.com/3avt5q
or...
http://vistasupport.mvps.org/accessi...ndows_mail.htm

--

John Inzer MS-MVP
Digital Media Experience

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk

Lambi000

Re: Problems with MPG's
You're right. It is an MPG file (they have three different cameras in there)
and it was put together by PixelA, the Sony software for the Sony camera they
are using for this film.

Whatever created it, however, doesn't seem to matter at all with the XP
computers at work. They all can play that MPG file with whatever version of
Windows Media Player that they have. It's this one I'm on right now, my
Vista Home Premium one. It just won't play properly on Windows Media player
version 11.0.6001.

No problems running on the MPG on QuickTime on the Vista machine or any of
the XP machines. That's why I'm stumped.

"John Inzer" wrote:

> Lambi000 wrote:
> > I created an MPG on a Windows XP PC using Windows movie maker and
> > have been successfully transferring it, via my flash drive, to other
> > XP PC's. Everybody has been able to view it using Windows Media
> > Player. I now need to transfer it to a DVD to send overseas but none
> > of us has a DVD burner.
> >
> > I brought the flash stick home and transferred the MPG file over to
> > my Vista Home Premium PC and have had no luck viewing the movie. So
> > then I burned a CD with the MPG on it, transferred it to the Vista PC
> > and the movie stiil doesn't work right.
> >
> > What essentially happens is that the movie video stops at a certain
> > point but the sound continues. QuickTime, however, shows me the
> > whole movie, video and all, on the Vista PC. So I know the file is
> > there and runs. I also tried some video producer software, on which
> > I could see the MPG, but it wouldn't burn the whole movie.
> >
> > The MPG in question is 529 MG, so it's not huge. Why am I having this
> > problem?
> >
> > By the way, I had one heck of a time getting to use this discussion
> > group. What's with the Vista Discussion Group website? Weird.
> >
> > Thanks!

> ==============================
> Something is amiss in this info because
> Windows Movie Maker does not / cannot
> save a movie clip in the .mpg format.
>
> Look at the file name of your video and
> tell us the extension...
> .wmv? .avi? .mswmm?
>
> The best way to access newsgroups is
> through Outlook Express (XP) or Windows
> Mail (Vista).
>
> The Microsoft newsgroup server is:
> news.microsoft.com
>
> Windows XP
> How do I configure Outlook Express
> to view and post to newsgroups?
> http://tinyurl.com/6ew4o6
> or...
> http://chat-staging.comcastsupport.c...9-61408df0ec4a
>
> Windows Vista -
> Accessing Newsgroups
> With Windows Mail
> http://tinyurl.com/3avt5q
> or...
> http://vistasupport.mvps.org/accessi...ndows_mail.htm
>

> --
>
> John Inzer MS-MVP
> Digital Media Experience
>
> Notice
> This is not tech support
> I am a volunteer
>
> Solutions that work for
> me may not work for you
>
> Proceed at your own risk

John Inzer

Re: Problems with MPG's
Lambi000 wrote:
> You're right. It is an MPG file (they have three different cameras
> in there) and it was put together by PixelA, the Sony software for
> the Sony camera they are using for this film.
>
> Whatever created it, however, doesn't seem to matter at all with the
> XP computers at work. They all can play that MPG file with whatever
> version of Windows Media Player that they have. It's this one I'm on
> right now, my Vista Home Premium one. It just won't play properly on
> Windows Media player version 11.0.6001.
>
> No problems running on the MPG on QuickTime on the Vista machine or
> any of the XP machines. That's why I'm stumped.

=================================
Ok...this clearly has nothing to do with Movie
Maker.

I suspect you need a codec you do not have
on the system that will not play the .mpg file.

Maybe it would be worth a try to download and
install the Vista Codec Package.

Vista Codec Package
http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail...e/1159994557/1

I suggest that you create a System Restore point
before installing....

Good Luck...

--

John Inzer MS-MVP
Digital Media Experience

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk

zachd [MSFT]

Re: Problems with MPG's

It sounds like the file is not joined properly according to the player -
running it through any decent MPEG editor should fix up the clip. =\

(The MPEG parser in Vista is Stricter so will be more likely to reject
questionable files.)

--
Speaking for myself only.