XP won't read data cd burned on Vista

MLAC19

XP won't read data cd burned on Vista
I burned some documents and word processing files onto a cd using Windows
Vista. The burn was good as I was able to call up the files from the cd
drive. I then tried to access the files on a computer running XP. The disc
read as completely blank, showing all 700MB or so as free space. I went back
to my Vista computer and burned the content onto a new cd using Nero
software instead of the bundled Vista program. That disc is not being
recognized by the XP system either. I really need access to these files from
the computers running XP! Please help!
Curious

Re: XP won't read data cd burned on Vista
Are you CD R or RW discs? Many RW disks written on one computer can not be
read on another computer with a different brand of CD drive.
I have not had any problems with CD-R disks between XP and Vista systems.
Can you read a CD written on the XP machine on the Vista machine?
"MLAC19" <MLAC19@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I burned some documents and word processing files onto a cd using Windows
> Vista. The burn was good as I was able to call up the files from the cd
> drive. I then tried to access the files on a computer running XP. The
> disc
> read as completely blank, showing all 700MB or so as free space. I went
> back
> to my Vista computer and burned the content onto a new cd using Nero
> software instead of the bundled Vista program. That disc is not being
> recognized by the XP system either. I really need access to these files
> from
> the computers running XP! Please help!

Poutnik

Re: XP won't read data cd burned on Vista

Try also, if readable on different Vista and XP machines....

John Inzer

MLAC19 wrote:
> I burned some documents and word processing files onto a cd using
> Windows Vista. The burn was good as I was able to call up the files
> from the cd drive. I then tried to access the files on a computer
> running XP. The disc read as completely blank, showing all 700MB or
> so as free space. I went back to my Vista computer and burned the
> content onto a new cd using Nero software instead of the bundled
> Vista program. That disc is not being recognized by the XP system
> either. I really need access to these files from the computers
> running XP! Please help!

==============================
Maybe the following article will be useful:

Windows Vista -
Burn a CD or DVD
http://tinyurl.com/29uy2o
or...
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...316981033.mspx

--

John Inzer MS-MVP
Digital Media Experience

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk

moonstaz

RE: XP won't read data cd burned on Vista
I have the same problem. I have a DVD that was burnt using VISTA. It works
on other computers with vista and in my dvd player. Yet it will not work in
either of my computers with XP. I have tried the DVD in several of my
friends players and it also doesn't work if they have XP.

I went online thinking that OF COURSE microsoft would know of this problem
and have a fix for it, but so far I haven't found anything useful. The only
thing I find is this threat copied onto several other websites. It's so
frustrating!

"MLAC19" wrote:

> I burned some documents and word processing files onto a cd using Windows
> Vista. The burn was good as I was able to call up the files from the cd
> drive. I then tried to access the files on a computer running XP. The disc
> read as completely blank, showing all 700MB or so as free space. I went back
> to my Vista computer and burned the content onto a new cd using Nero
> software instead of the bundled Vista program. That disc is not being
> recognized by the XP system either. I really need access to these files from
> the computers running XP! Please help!

Sackboy

"moonstaz" <moonstaz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have the same problem. I have a DVD that was burnt using VISTA. It
>works
> on other computers with vista and in my dvd player. Yet it will not work
> in
> either of my computers with XP. I have tried the DVD in several of my
> friends players and it also doesn't work if they have XP.
>
> I went online thinking that OF COURSE microsoft would know of this problem
> and have a fix for it, but so far I haven't found anything useful. The
> only
> thing I find is this threat copied onto several other websites. It's so
> frustrating!
>
> "MLAC19" wrote:
>
>> I burned some documents and word processing files onto a cd using Windows
>> Vista. The burn was good as I was able to call up the files from the cd
>> drive. I then tried to access the files on a computer running XP. The
>> disc
>> read as completely blank, showing all 700MB or so as free space. I went
>> back
>> to my Vista computer and burned the content onto a new cd using Nero
>> software instead of the bundled Vista program. That disc is not being
>> recognized by the XP system either. I really need access to these files
>> from
>> the computers running XP! Please help!

XP needs a decoder.
Such as http://www.nvidia.com/object/dvd_decoder.html.

Use mastered instead of live format.

Curious

Re: XP won't read data cd burned on Vista
A DVD decoder such as the one you referenced is used to play DVDs or TV
programs recorded in MPEG2 compressed format. It is not required for data
files.

"Curious" <mailmenot@nomail.com> wrote in message
>A DVD decoder such as the one you referenced is used to play DVDs or TV
>programs recorded in MPEG2 compressed format. It is not required for data
>files.
>
> "Sackboy" <sackboy@lbp.not> wrote in message news:ggc8j8$4nn$1@aioe.org...
>> "moonstaz" <moonstaz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>>I have the same problem. I have a DVD that was burnt using VISTA. It
>>>works
>>> on other computers with vista and in my dvd player. Yet it will not
>>> work in
>>> either of my computers with XP. I have tried the DVD in several of my
>>> friends players and it also doesn't work if they have XP.
>>>
>>> I went online thinking that OF COURSE microsoft would know of this
>>> problem
>>> and have a fix for it, but so far I haven't found anything useful. The
>>> only
>>> thing I find is this threat copied onto several other websites. It's so
>>> frustrating!

>> XP needs a decoder.
>> Such as http://www.nvidia.com/object/dvd_decoder.html.
>>
>> Use mastered instead of live format.

I also said use mastered format.
I have no idea what they burned to DVD.
Unless you are my mother...move on, idiot.

Sackboy

Re: XP won't read data cd burned on Vista
"Curious" <mailmenot@nomail.com> wrote in message
>A DVD decoder such as the one you referenced is used to play DVDs or TV
>programs recorded in MPEG2 compressed format. It is not required for data
>files.
>
> "Sackboy" <sackboy@lbp.not> wrote in message news:ggc8j8$4nn$1@aioe.org...
>> "moonstaz" <moonstaz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>>I have the same problem. I have a DVD that was burnt using VISTA. It
>>>works
>>> on other computers with vista and in my dvd player. Yet it will not
>>> work in
>>> either of my computers with XP. I have tried the DVD in several of my
>>> friends players and it also doesn't work if they have XP.
>>>
>>> I went online thinking that OF COURSE microsoft would know of this
>>> problem
>>> and have a fix for it, but so far I haven't found anything useful. The
>>> only
>>> thing I find is this threat copied onto several other websites. It's so
>>> frustrating!

>> XP needs a decoder.
>> Such as http://www.nvidia.com/object/dvd_decoder.html.
>>
>> Use mastered instead of live format.

Try reading moonstaz's q.
It said DVD player.
You think they play .xls files on their DVD player ?
Moron.

John Inzer

moonstaz wrote:
> I have the same problem. I have a DVD that was burnt using VISTA.
> It works on other computers with vista and in my dvd player. Yet it
> will not work in either of my computers with XP. I have tried the
> DVD in several of my friends players and it also doesn't work if they
> have XP.
>
> I went online thinking that OF COURSE microsoft would know of this
> problem and have a fix for it, but so far I haven't found anything
> useful. The only thing I find is this threat copied onto several
> other websites. It's so frustrating!

Maybe you used the Live File System format...
the Mastered format would be been the better
choice.

Have a look at the following articles:

Which CD or DVD format should I use?
http://tinyurl.com/2mybuf