Movie Maker can't import from my camcorder only parts of the tape

Joe

Movie Maker can't import from my camcorder only parts of the tape
When I try to import into Movie Maker (Vista version) it only allows me to
import (capture) the entire tape. The dialog box actually asks if I want to
import the entire tape or only part- then the only option actually available
is to rewind the tape to the beginning and import all of it.

Joe

Joe

Re: Movie Maker can't import from my camcorder only parts of the tape- Papa John, are you there?
No luck with this question from a week ago, so I'll try again. I have Vista
Ultimate. My camcorder is the Canon HV-20.

"Joe" <abc@xyz.com> wrote in message
> When I try to import into Movie Maker (Vista version) it only allows me to
> import (capture) the entire tape. The dialog box actually asks if I want
> to import the entire tape or only part- then the only option actually
> available is to rewind the tape to the beginning and import all of it.
>
> Joe

zachd [MSFT]

Re: Movie Maker can't import from my camcorder only parts of the tape- Papa John, are you there?

It's a bug in the dialog: as you noted that 'partial' option is not
available in some situations.

--
Speaking for myself only.
> No luck with this question from a week ago, so I'll try again. I have
> Vista Ultimate. My camcorder is the Canon HV-20.
>

> "Joe" <abc@xyz.com> wrote in message
>> When I try to import into Movie Maker (Vista version) it only allows me
>> to import (capture) the entire tape. The dialog box actually asks if I
>> want to import the entire tape or only part- then the only option
>> actually available is to rewind the tape to the beginning and import all
>> of it.
>>
>> Joe

Joe

Re: Movie Maker can't import from my camcorder only parts of the tape- Papa John, are you there?
I'm just wondering if I'm the only one with this bug. Is it a well known
acknowledged bug?

"zachd [MSFT]" <zachd@nomailplz.online.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> It's a bug in the dialog: as you noted that 'partial' option is not
> available in some situations.
>
> --
> Speaking for myself only.
> rights.
> --
> "Joe" <abc@xyz.com> wrote in message
>> No luck with this question from a week ago, so I'll try again. I have
>> Vista Ultimate. My camcorder is the Canon HV-20.
>>

>> "Joe" <abc@xyz.com> wrote in message
>>> When I try to import into Movie Maker (Vista version) it only allows me
>>> to import (capture) the entire tape. The dialog box actually asks if I
>>> want to import the entire tape or only part- then the only option
>>> actually available is to rewind the tape to the beginning and import all
>>> of it.
>>>
>>> Joe

zachd [MSFT]

Re: Movie Maker can't import from my camcorder only parts of the tape- Papa John, are you there?

It's a bug, if that's what you're asking. Other people can and will hit it
too. I don't hit it in my importing of miniDV tapes via Firewire, but I
suspect that's not what you're doing.

--
Speaking for myself only.
> I'm just wondering if I'm the only one with this bug. Is it a well known
> acknowledged bug?
>

> "zachd [MSFT]" <zachd@nomailplz.online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>
>> It's a bug in the dialog: as you noted that 'partial' option is not
>> available in some situations.
>>
>> --
>> Speaking for myself only.
>> rights.
>> --
>> "Joe" <abc@xyz.com> wrote in message
>>> No luck with this question from a week ago, so I'll try again. I have
>>> Vista Ultimate. My camcorder is the Canon HV-20.

Joe

Re: Movie Maker can't import from my camcorder only parts of the tape- Papa John, are you there?
I'm importing miniDV tapes via Firewire on a high end Dell purchased a year
ago. If it's a bug, I hope MS fixes it quickly! Importing the full tape
works fine, editing works fine with Movie Maker- everything is fine but I
still can't import only part of the tape- it's all or nothing.

> It's a bug, if that's what you're asking. Other people can and will hit
> it too. I don't hit it in my importing of miniDV tapes via Firewire, but
> I suspect that's not what you're doing.
>
> --
> Speaking for myself only.
> rights.
> --
> "Joe" <abc@xyz.com> wrote in message
>> I'm just wondering if I'm the only one with this bug. Is it a well known
>> acknowledged bug?
>>

>> "zachd [MSFT]" <zachd@nomailplz.online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> It's a bug in the dialog: as you noted that 'partial' option is not
>>> available in some situations.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Speaking for myself only.
>>> See http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html for some helpful WMP info.
>>> rights.

zachd [MSFT]

Re: Movie Maker can't import from my camcorder only parts of the tape- Papa John, are you there?

OK, I think this:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/930060/en-us
is the KB article you're after.

The bug I'm identifying is that the dialog mentions an incorrect option.
Doing partial import for your camera type is probably something that would
not happen outside of a major release of the capture wizard. =\

--
Speaking for myself only.
> I'm importing miniDV tapes via Firewire on a high end Dell purchased a
> year ago. If it's a bug, I hope MS fixes it quickly! Importing the full
> tape works fine, editing works fine with Movie Maker- everything is fine
> but I still can't import only part of the tape- it's all or nothing.
>

> "zachd [MSFT]" <zachd@nomailplz.online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>
>> It's a bug, if that's what you're asking. Other people can and will hit
>> it too. I don't hit it in my importing of miniDV tapes via Firewire, but
>> I suspect that's not what you're doing.
>>
>> --
>> Speaking for myself only.
>> rights.
>> --
>> "Joe" <abc@xyz.com> wrote in message
>>> I'm just wondering if I'm the only one with this bug. Is it a well known
>>> acknowledged bug?

Joe

Re: Movie Maker can't import from my camcorder only parts of the tape- Papa John, are you there?
Right! Thanks- when I find such a computer problem, I feel better knowing
that it's out of my hands, nothing I did or nothing broken on my PC.

Joe

> OK, I think this:
> is the KB article you're after.
>
> The bug I'm identifying is that the dialog mentions an incorrect option.
> Doing partial import for your camera type is probably something that would
> not happen outside of a major release of the capture wizard. =\
>
> --
> Speaking for myself only.
> rights.
> --
> "Joe" <abc@xyz.com> wrote in message
>> I'm importing miniDV tapes via Firewire on a high end Dell purchased a
>> year ago. If it's a bug, I hope MS fixes it quickly! Importing the full
>> tape works fine, editing works fine with Movie Maker- everything is fine
>> but I still can't import only part of the tape- it's all or nothing.
>>

>> "zachd [MSFT]" <zachd@nomailplz.online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> It's a bug, if that's what you're asking. Other people can and will hit
>>> it too. I don't hit it in my importing of miniDV tapes via Firewire,
>>> but I suspect that's not what you're doing.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Speaking for myself only.
>>> See http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html for some helpful WMP info.
>>> rights.

hansende

Re: Movie Maker can't import from my camcorder only parts of the tape

I am having the same problem with my new Canon Vixia HV30 not being able
to import just part of the tape.

--
hansende
zachd [MSFT]

Re: Movie Maker can't import from my camcorder only parts of the tape

Yes, that is exactly what is described in and covered by this KB:
http://support.microsoft.com:80/kb/930060/en-us

--
Speaking for myself only.