My AVI FILES WONT PLAY ?

kizzysmum

My AVI FILES WONT PLAY ?

When I got my new vista computer ..I found the WMP would,nt play any AVI
files :huh:..I had no problem with my old XP computer . I have
downloaded REAL PLAYER to see if that will play them ..but its the same
with that also . So why is it I cant play them back anymore ..have a few
films i would love to be able to view again :cry:
Anyone know of a fix for this ..its soooooooooooo annoying
grrrrrrrrrrr

Thanks
Linda

--
kizzysmum
joel406

Re: My AVI FILES WONT PLAY ?

You need the righ Codecs.

Go here 'Free-Codecs.com :: Download Vista Codec Package 4.7.3 : With
Vista Codec Package installed, you won't need to install any other codec
or filter.'
(http://www.free-codecs.com/download/...ec_package.htm)

Install and you"ll be fine.

Oh! People will probably point you to here 'Free-Codecs.com : Download
K-Lite Codec Pack 4.2.5 FULL, K-Lite Codec Pack 4.2.5 STANDARD, K-Lite
Codec Pack 4.2.5 BASIC : K-Lite Codec Pack is a collection of codecs and
related tools'
(http://www.free-codecs.com/download/...codec_pack.htm)

It works as well, but seems a little more intrusive. Just my opinion
there.

I just use the Vista pack and have no configuting to.

Just like Vista itself.

It just works.

--
joel406
Kerry Brown

Re: My AVI FILES WONT PLAY ?
"kizzysmum" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> When I got my new vista computer ..I found the WMP would,nt play any AVI
> files :huh:..I had no problem with my old XP computer . I have
> downloaded REAL PLAYER to see if that will play them ..but its the same
> with that also . So why is it I cant play them back anymore ..have a few
> films i would love to be able to view again :cry:
> Anyone know of a fix for this ..its soooooooooooo annoying
> grrrrrrrrrrr

The correct codec for the files isn't installed. Rather than download a
bunch of unneeded codecs with a codec pack you should figure out which
codec(s) the files need and install just the needed codecs. Here is a
program that will tell you which codec is needed to play a file.

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/GSpot.htm

One of these codecs will probably fix your problem.

http://www.xvid.org/Downloads.15.0.html

http://www.divx.com/divx/windows/codec/

--
Kerry Brown
http://www.vistahelp.ca/phpBB2/

kizzysmum

Re: My AVI FILES WONT PLAY ?

joel406;871115 Wrote:
> You need the righ Codecs.
>
> Go here 'Free-Codecs.com :: Download Vista Codec Package 4.7.3 : With
> Vista Codec Package installed, you won't need to install any other codec
> or filter.'
> (http://www.free-codecs.com/download/...ec_package.htm)
>
> Install and you"ll be fine.
>
> Oh! People will probably point you to here 'Free-Codecs.com : Download
> K-Lite Codec Pack 4.2.5 FULL, K-Lite Codec Pack 4.2.5 STANDARD, K-Lite
> Codec Pack 4.2.5 BASIC : K-Lite Codec Pack is a collection of codecs and
> related tools'
> (http://www.free-codecs.com/download/...codec_pack.htm)
>
> It works as well, but seems a little more intrusive. Just my opinion
> there.
>
> I just use the Vista pack and have no configuting to.
>
> Just like Vista itself.
>
> It just works.

Hello and thank you for this .. i did download and install , and hey
hey I can now play my AVI files ... but since I have real player on my
pc as well .. i selected a custom installation deselecting the neccesary
component as was told to do .. I think Ive said that right :huh:.. and
now I find my Real player is no more !!! Did i do something wrong please

--
kizzysmum
joel406

Re: My AVI FILES WONT PLAY ?

Be thankful real player disapeared. I just use the WMP. I shy from 3rd
party players unless the situation demands it.

You should be ok now, I hope?

--
joel406
kizzysmum

Re: My AVI FILES WONT PLAY ?

joel406;871189 Wrote:
> Be thankful real player disapeared. I just use the WMP. I shy from 3rd
> party players unless the situation demands it.
>
> You should be ok now, I hope?

Again thank you .. althought real player just stopped working ie ..by
clicking on desktop icon gave just no hint of the player ..so went into
progs to find it still there ?? opted to un-install which it did ok

However i find i cannot delete the desktop icon now ..when i click on
to delete it ..tells me that the item can no longer be found mmmmmmmmmmm
..seems I cannot delete it . Ime sure there will be a simple answer
though ...please :huh:

--
kizzysmum
Curious

Re: My AVI FILES WONT PLAY ?
The problem is that you did not use add/remove programs to uninstall it
since if you did the desktop icon would have been deleted along with the
program itself.
You can possible change the file the shortcut icon is pointing to to one
that exists and then delete it.

> joel406;871189 Wrote:
>> Be thankful real player disapeared. I just use the WMP. I shy from 3rd
>> party players unless the situation demands it.
>>
>> You should be ok now, I hope?

> Again thank you .. althought real player just stopped working ie ..by
> clicking on desktop icon gave just no hint of the player ..so went into
> progs to find it still there ?? opted to un-install which it did ok
>
> However i find i cannot delete the desktop icon now ..when i click on
> to delete it ..tells me that the item can no longer be found mmmmmmmmmmm
> .seems I cannot delete it . Ime sure there will be a simple answer
> though ...please :huh:
>

> --
> kizzysmum

kizzysmum

Re: My AVI FILES WONT PLAY ?

kizzysmum;871148 Wrote:
> > joel406;871115 Wrote:
> > You need the righ Codecs.
> >
> > Go here 'Free-Codecs.com :: Download Vista Codec Package 4.7.3 : With
> > Vista Codec Package installed, you won't need to install any other codec
> > or filter.'
> > (http://www.free-codecs.com/download/...ec_package.htm)
> >
> > Install and you"ll be fine.
> >
> > Oh! People will probably point you to here 'Free-Codecs.com : Download
> > K-Lite Codec Pack 4.2.5 FULL, K-Lite Codec Pack 4.2.5 STANDARD, K-Lite
> > Codec Pack 4.2.5 BASIC : K-Lite Codec Pack is a collection of codecs and
> > related tools'
> > (http://www.free-codecs.com/download/...codec_pack.htm)
> >
> > It works as well, but seems a little more intrusive. Just my opinion
> > there.
> >
> > I just use the Vista pack and have no configuting to.
> >
> > Just like Vista itself.
> >
> > It just works.> >

> Hello and thank you for this .. i did download and install , and hey
> hey I can now play my AVI files ... but since I have real player on
> my pc as well .. i selected a custom installation deselecting the
> neccesary component as was told to do .. I think Ive said that right
> :huh:.. and now I find my Real player is no more !!! Did i do
> something wrong please

:huh:
er em no matter how I tried to delete the real player desktop icon ..
it just would not go !it just sat there like a pale ghost ..and this
morning when i logged on ..its GONE . Ime never failed to be amazed with
my pc

--
kizzysmum
kizzysmum

Re: My AVI FILES WONT PLAY ?

kizzysmum;871232 Wrote:
> > joel406;871189 Wrote:
> > Be thankful real player disapeared. I just use the WMP. I shy from 3rd
> > party players unless the situation demands it.
> >
> > You should be ok now, I hope?> >

> Again thank you .. althought real player just stopped working ie ..by
> clicking on desktop icon gave just no hint of the player ..so went
> into progs to find it still there ?? opted to un-install which it did
> ok
>
> However i find i cannot delete the desktop icon now ..when i click on
> to delete it ..tells me that the item can no longer be found
> mmmmmmmmmmm ..seems I cannot delete it . Ime sure there will be a
> simple answer though ...please :huh:

aha sorted ...see message below

--
kizzysmum