Extracting Video From DVD

JamesJ

Extracting Video From DVD
Is it possible, using one of Vista's media programs (Movie Maker, DVD Maker
or Media Player),
to extract a portion of video from a dvd and save it to a popular video type
such as wmv or
avi or something similar?
I'm not very aquanted with this so I need some help doing this.

Thanks,
James

PapaJohn \(MVP\)

Re: Extracting Video From DVD
if you have the Home Premium or Ultimate versions, you can import the VOB
file on the disc into Movie Maker, edit it, and save it to a wmv file....

with other Vista versions, you'll need other software to do file
conversions.

"JamesJ" <jjy@darwin_roadrunner.com> wrote in message
> Is it possible, using one of Vista's media programs (Movie Maker, DVD
> Maker or Media Player),
> to extract a portion of video from a dvd and save it to a popular video
> type such as wmv or
> avi or something similar?
> I'm not very aquanted with this so I need some help doing this.
>
> Thanks,
> James

JamesJ

Re: Extracting Video From DVD
When I try to Import Media Items using Movie Maker from a dvd I get the
following error message:

The file D:\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_2.VOB cannot be imported because the codec
required to play
the file is not installed on your computer. If you have already tried to
download and install the codec,
close and restart Windows Movie Maker, and then try to import the file
again.

Where and how do I get the proper codex??

James

"PapaJohn (MVP)" <hipapajohn@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> if you have the Home Premium or Ultimate versions, you can import the VOB
> file on the disc into Movie Maker, edit it, and save it to a wmv file....
>
> with other Vista versions, you'll need other software to do file
> conversions.
>
> "JamesJ" <jjy@darwin_roadrunner.com> wrote in message
>> Is it possible, using one of Vista's media programs (Movie Maker, DVD
>> Maker or Media Player),
>> to extract a portion of video from a dvd and save it to a popular video
>> type such as wmv or
>> avi or something similar?
>> I'm not very aquanted with this so I need some help doing this.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> James

PapaJohn

Re: Extracting Video From DVD
rather than adding a codec that will make it work in Movie Maker, you should
convert such files to others that work without adding more codecs.

see my website's Import Movie Source Files > Video > Discs page

PapaJohn (MVP)