Cant view pictures in Vista

Corky

Cant view pictures in Vista
I have a CD of pictures that I got from my brother. It has four file
folders of pictures taken from four different digital cameras. All were
downloaded to his computer and he copied them to the CD. My HP Vista Home
Premium laptop will not show the pictures in three of the file folders. It
only show the pictures from my camera. It says the other folders are empty.

However, when I put the CD in my old XP computer, I can view all of the
contents of all of the file folders, so I know the pictures are actually
there. What is keeping them from appearing on my laptop?

Corky

John Inzer

Re: Cant view pictures in Vista
Corky wrote:
> I have a CD of pictures that I got from my brother. It has four file
> folders of pictures taken from four different digital cameras. All
> were downloaded to his computer and he copied them to the CD. My HP
> Vista Home Premium laptop will not show the pictures in three of the
> file folders. It only show the pictures from my camera. It says the
> other folders are empty.
>
> However, when I put the CD in my old XP computer, I can view all of
> the contents of all of the file folders, so I know the pictures are
> actually there. What is keeping them from appearing on my laptop?
>
> Corky

=================================
Do you have a memory card or a flash drive?

Open the pix on your XP machine and copy
a few to your removable media then download
them to your Vista machine and see if you can
view them.

--

John Inzer MS-MVP
Digital Media Experience

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk

dbknox

Re: Cant view pictures in Vista

Seems a lot of people are having the same problem. I can't answer your
question as to why your Vista won't show all the folders on the CD, I
would suspect the media and the program used to write to the CD's I used
Nero burning rom for all my pictures and have had no trouble going from
WIN 98 to XP and to Vista. My old Nero program is not compatible with
Vista so I now am using "Burnaware free version" with "Verbatim" media.
I find that when I burn with this program and media, the CD/DVDs work on
all other OS's, whereas a CD burned with the Vista software (ie: in
multisession) would not show all folders on my XP machine.
I can point you to a free program so you can extract the pictures from
the CD .
'License models for IsoBuster and Freeware vs. Shareware policy'
(http://www.isobuster.com/license-models.php)
Read the page carefully so you know what the free function will do.
Every once in a while a nag screen will pop up to purchase, just ignore
it if you wish.
Good luck. Please let us know how you make out.

--
dbknox
Corky

Re: Cant view pictures in Vista
I was able to copy all of the pictures to a flash drive (from the XP
computer) and they were then visible on the Vista laptop so I now have the
pictures where I want them. I suspect that the problem lies with the method
that was used to copy the pictures to the CD by the brother. Will continue
to try and solve the mystery so we won't encounter it again.

Thanks for the help.

Corky
___________________________________

=================================
Do you have a memory card or a flash drive?

Open the pix on your XP machine and copy
a few to your removable media then download
them to your Vista machine and see if you can
view them.

--

John Inzer MS-MVP
Digital Media Experience

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk

Corky

Re: Cant view pictures in Vista
Thanks. I have the pictures on the laptop now. Flash drive worked. I also
think the problem lies with the program used to write the CD originally. Am
investigating that with the brother to try and ensure we don't have the
problem again.
Corky
______________________________

Corky wrote:
> I was able to copy all of the pictures to a flash drive (from the XP
> computer) and they were then visible on the Vista laptop so I now
> have the pictures where I want them. I suspect that the problem lies
> with the method that was used to copy the pictures to the CD by the
> brother. Will continue to try and solve the mystery so we won't
> encounter it again.
>
> Thanks for the help.
>
> Corky

=======================================
You're welcome.

You did solve the issue...the problem is with the CD.

Thanks for the update.

--

John Inzer MS-MVP
Digital Media Experience

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk

John Inzer

Re: *More* Cant view pictures in Vista
Here's a freebie that may be worth a try
for burning Data CDs on the XP machine.

CDBurnerXP
http://cdburnerxp.se/
(runs on Vista also)