Regular Account unable to play DVD movie?

Andre U

Regular Account unable to play DVD movie?
I have two accounts on my Vista machine for the kids. These are set as
regular Vista Users. When trying to view original store bought DVD's using
the Vista Media Player, I get this error:
"Windows Media Player cannot play DVD video. You might need to adjust your
Windows display settings. Open display settings in Control Panel, and then
try lowering your screen resolution and color quality settings."

I can view DVD's without any problems under my logon which is an admin
account.

When I change the non admin accounts to admin accounts, the DVD plays fine.

I do not see any correlation between the error message and whether or not it
is an admin account.

What am I missing here

Thanks

RickWinTeam

Re: Regular Account unable to play DVD movie?

Andre, I see you are having a problem playing a DVD in Windows Vista. I
work with the Windows Outreach Team, and would like to help.
I am not tech support, however I can let you know about a few things in
Vista that might help. First you can only install programs, or make
changes to Vista if your logged in as an administrator. If a member of
your family is logged in as a standard users than they will not be able
to change those settings. So you can grant them the admin permissions,
which you already have done and they will be able to. However I
understand that could leave your PC open to anyone to tamper with
settings or install programs. Below is a link to the Windows help and
how-to page over at Microsoft.com and you can read about user controls
and settings and see if that helps. If you have further question don’t
hesitate to ask I can dig into it a bit more and try and get you more
help.
Rick

--
RickWinTeam
Andre U

Re: Regular Account unable to play DVD movie?
Rick,
Thank you for the response. I would prefer not give the kids admin
rights for obvious reasons. Just don't know why playing a simple DVD is such
a major issues that requires Admin rights ! I have User Control (the
annoying popups for everything you try and do) turned off.

Can you perhaps attach that link ?

I have tried searching MS Support but for some reason don't get many hits.
Will have to do some more digging.

Thanks again

Andre
"RickWinTeam" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Andre, I see you are having a problem playing a DVD in Windows Vista. I
> work with the Windows Outreach Team, and would like to help.
> I am not tech support, however I can let you know about a few things in
> Vista that might help. First you can only install programs, or make
> changes to Vista if your logged in as an administrator. If a member of
> your family is logged in as a standard users than they will not be able
> to change those settings. So you can grant them the admin permissions,
> which you already have done and they will be able to. However I
> understand that could leave your PC open to anyone to tamper with
> settings or install programs. Below is a link to the Windows help and
> how-to page over at Microsoft.com and you can read about user controls
> and settings and see if that helps. If you have further question don't
> hesitate to ask I can dig into it a bit more and try and get you more
> help.
> Rick
>

> --
> RickWinTeam

Curious

Re: Regular Account unable to play DVD movie?
Have you tried giving them the rights then logging on and making the
settings changes required and then taking the rights away again?
"Andre U" <nommail@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news9BA4B73-5508-4BC8-84F7-F49F3A21621B@microsoft.com...
> Rick,
> Thank you for the response. I would prefer not give the kids admin
> rights for obvious reasons. Just don't know why playing a simple DVD is
> such a major issues that requires Admin rights ! I have User Control (the
> annoying popups for everything you try and do) turned off.
>
> Can you perhaps attach that link ?
>
> I have tried searching MS Support but for some reason don't get many hits.
> Will have to do some more digging.
>
> Thanks again
>
> Andre
> "RickWinTeam" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Andre, I see you are having a problem playing a DVD in Windows Vista. I
>> work with the Windows Outreach Team, and would like to help.
>> I am not tech support, however I can let you know about a few things in
>> Vista that might help. First you can only install programs, or make
>> changes to Vista if your logged in as an administrator. If a member of
>> your family is logged in as a standard users than they will not be able
>> to change those settings. So you can grant them the admin permissions,
>> which you already have done and they will be able to. However I
>> understand that could leave your PC open to anyone to tamper with
>> settings or install programs. Below is a link to the Windows help and
>> how-to page over at Microsoft.com and you can read about user controls
>> and settings and see if that helps. If you have further question don't
>> hesitate to ask I can dig into it a bit more and try and get you more
>> help.
>> Rick
>>

>> --
>> RickWinTeam

Andre U

Re: Regular Account unable to play DVD movie?
I have placed the account in admin status and then the DVD's play just fine.

As soon as I make them back into standard account, the error returns.

Thanks
"Curious >" <<spammenot@nomail.com> wrote in message
> Have you tried giving them the rights then logging on and making the
> settings changes required and then taking the rights away again?
> "Andre U" <nommail@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news9BA4B73-5508-4BC8-84F7-F49F3A21621B@microsoft.com...
>> Rick,
>> Thank you for the response. I would prefer not give the kids admin
>> rights for obvious reasons. Just don't know why playing a simple DVD is
>> such a major issues that requires Admin rights ! I have User Control (the
>> annoying popups for everything you try and do) turned off.
>>
>> Can you perhaps attach that link ?
>>
>> I have tried searching MS Support but for some reason don't get many
>> hits. Will have to do some more digging.
>>
>> Thanks again
>>
>> Andre
>> "RickWinTeam" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Andre, I see you are having a problem playing a DVD in Windows Vista. I
>>> work with the Windows Outreach Team, and would like to help.
>>> I am not tech support, however I can let you know about a few things in
>>> Vista that might help. First you can only install programs, or make
>>> changes to Vista if your logged in as an administrator. If a member of
>>> your family is logged in as a standard users than they will not be able
>>> to change those settings. So you can grant them the admin permissions,
>>> which you already have done and they will be able to. However I
>>> understand that could leave your PC open to anyone to tamper with
>>> settings or install programs. Below is a link to the Windows help and
>>> how-to page over at Microsoft.com and you can read about user controls
>>> and settings and see if that helps. If you have further question don't
>>> hesitate to ask I can dig into it a bit more and try and get you more
>>> help.
>>> Rick
>>>

>>> --
>>> RickWinTeam

Justfish

Re: Regular Account unable to play DVD movie?
Andre,

We are experiencing this same issue in our corporate network. Our users
cannot play DVDs but when they are made admin it works just fine. Then once
admin permissions are revoked it stops working again.

Have you gotten a fix from MS yet?

Thanks,

Fred F.

"Andre U" wrote:

> I have placed the account in admin status and then the DVD's play just fine.
>
> As soon as I make them back into standard account, the error returns.
>
> Thanks
> "Curious >" <<spammenot@nomail.com> wrote in message
> > Have you tried giving them the rights then logging on and making the
> > settings changes required and then taking the rights away again?
> > "Andre U" <nommail@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > news9BA4B73-5508-4BC8-84F7-F49F3A21621B@microsoft.com...
> >> Rick,
> >> Thank you for the response. I would prefer not give the kids admin
> >> rights for obvious reasons. Just don't know why playing a simple DVD is
> >> such a major issues that requires Admin rights ! I have User Control (the
> >> annoying popups for everything you try and do) turned off.
> >>
> >> Can you perhaps attach that link ?
> >>
> >> I have tried searching MS Support but for some reason don't get many
> >> hits. Will have to do some more digging.
> >>
> >> Thanks again
> >>
> >> Andre

Kathryn S

Re: Regular Account unable to play DVD movie?
RickWinTeam,
I'm having this same error message:

Error Message: "Windows Media Player cannot play DVD video. You might need
to adjust your Windows display settings. Open display settings in Control
Panel, and then try lowering your screen resolution and color quality
settings."

and I have admin rights on my laptop running Vista. The last change I made
to my laptop was installing a palm desktop application, but I don't
understand how before I installed the app, I could watch DVDs just fine, and
now I'm getting the error message.
I've tried to adjust the display settings up and down as well, and have had
no luck playing the DVDs....even as the admin user.

Any advice would be welcome. Thanks

Kathryn S

"Andre U" wrote:

> Fred,
> Not yet, still looking.
>
> Are you guys getting the same error ? This has me puzzled as I do not
> understand how Screen Resolution has anything to do with whether or not the
> user is an admin or not.
>
> Error Message: "Windows Media Player cannot play DVD video. You might need
> to adjust your Windows display settings. Open display settings in Control
> Panel, and then try lowering your screen resolution and color quality
> settings."
>
> This is a weird one :-)
>

> "Justfish" <Justfish@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Andre,
> >
> > We are experiencing this same issue in our corporate network. Our users
> > cannot play DVDs but when they are made admin it works just fine. Then
> > once
> > admin permissions are revoked it stops working again.
> >
> > Have you gotten a fix from MS yet?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Fred F.
> >
> > "Andre U" wrote:
> >
> >> I have placed the account in admin status and then the DVD's play just
> >> fine.
> >>
> >> As soon as I make them back into standard account, the error returns.
> >>
> >> Thanks

Justfish

Re: Regular Account unable to play DVD movie?
Andre,

We do get the exact error you are getting. One fix we have it to turn on
the annoying User Access Control. When that is turned on, Media Player works
w/o being administrator, when it is off it does not work.

Fred

"Andre U" wrote:

> Fred,
> Not yet, still looking.
>
> Are you guys getting the same error ? This has me puzzled as I do not
> understand how Screen Resolution has anything to do with whether or not the
> user is an admin or not.
>
> Error Message: "Windows Media Player cannot play DVD video. You might need
> to adjust your Windows display settings. Open display settings in Control
> Panel, and then try lowering your screen resolution and color quality
> settings."
>
> This is a weird one :-)

Andre U

Re: Regular Account unable to play DVD movie?
Thanks Fred, appreciate the feedback. I will give it a try and see if I get
the same results.

Don't want to sounds like the broken record, but I am really not impressed
with Vista :-(

Bill's folks let him down on this one.....