Need help with analog video capture please

edougal01

Need help with analog video capture please

I want to convert my VHS tapes to DVD but don't have a clue where to
start. I have tried reading tutorials but they don't make sense to me
since I am not all that computer savvy. All I know is that I need an
analog capture device and I don't even know what that means or how to
use it. I do not have a DV camera. Can someone out there walk me step
by step thru how this is done?

Thanks,
Eileen

--
edougal01
scrooge

Re: Need help with analog video capture please

the (analog capture device) is a tv tunner card or usb plug. you plug
the usb into your system.then take the ( ontput cable) from your vhs
player and it go's to the input of your tunner card . some tunner cards
are (pci cards) that you need to open your case and install it to your
motherboard. thay should come with software to get you up and running.
scrooge

--
scrooge

ASUS P5K-E/WIFI-AP P35 ATX Intel
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 / 3.00 GHz processor
SAPPHIRE 100225L Radeon HD 3870 512MB
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB)
Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB)
Thermaltake Toughpower 600W Power Supply
John Inzer

edougal01 wrote:
> I want to convert my VHS tapes to DVD but don't have a clue where to
> start. I have tried reading tutorials but they don't make sense to me
> since I am not all that computer savvy. All I know is that I need an
> analog capture device and I don't even know what that means or how to
> use it. I do not have a DV camera. Can someone out there walk me step
> by step thru how this is done?
>
> Thanks,
> Eileen

If your main goal is to make DVD copies
of your VHS home movies...you don't need
a computer. A DVD Recorder may be worth
a look.

Answers To Basic Questions About DVD
Recorders - Introduction and Index
http://tinyurl.com/ey5re
or...
http://hometheater.about.com/od/dvdr...ecfaqintro.htm

As for "What is a Capture Device?"...I have
not tried the following device but it looks promising:

Diamond VC500 One Touch Video Capture Device
http://www.amazon.com/Diamond-VC500-.../dp/B000VM60I8

The following article may be useful also:

Windows Vista -
Toss out those VHS tapes
http://tinyurl.com/2xzmkb
or...
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...65d901033.mspx

--

John Inzer
MS Digital Media MVP

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk

edougal01

Re: Need help with analog video capture please

Install to motherboard? I wouldn't know how to begin to do that. In your
opinion, would transfering VHS to DVD be too techincal for someone like
me, who knows nothing about the inside workings of my pc?

--
edougal01
Jeff Richards

Re: Need help with analog video capture please
Here's an example of the device you need:
http://www.usbgear.com/USB-PRODUCT-D...d=125&cats=125

There are many other manufacturers, but they all look much the same. It's a
USB device, so there is no need to open the case. It will be supplied with
software that enables you to capture the video in a file, and will have full
instructions for capturing. Once you have the video in digital format then
you can do what you want with it. Your VCR will have a composite output, and
possibly S-video as well - use S-video if available.
--
Jeff Richards
MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
"edougal01" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> I want to convert my VHS tapes to DVD but don't have a clue where to
> start. I have tried reading tutorials but they don't make sense to me
> since I am not all that computer savvy. All I know is that I need an
> analog capture device and I don't even know what that means or how to
> use it. I do not have a DV camera. Can someone out there walk me step
> by step thru how this is done?
>
> Thanks,
> Eileen
>

> --
> edougal01

scrooge

Re: Need help with analog video capture please

installing to the motherboard is just opening the case and putting the
tunner card in a pci slot . but with the (usb tunner) like this one you
just plug it in and install the
drivers and software.

'Newegg.com - ADS Tech Mini HDTV Video Device PTV-384-EF USB 2.0
Interface - TV Tuners & Video Devices'
(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16815255027)

you can use the dvd aswell, just put the vcr cable output to the dvd
input and the dvd output to your tv.
scrooge

--
scrooge

ASUS P5K-E/WIFI-AP P35 ATX Intel
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 / 3.00 GHz processor
SAPPHIRE 100225L Radeon HD 3870 512MB
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB)
Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB)
Thermaltake Toughpower 600W Power Supply
Edward

Re: Need help with analog video capture please

"edougal01" <guest@unknown-email.com> schreef in bericht

> I want to convert my VHS tapes to DVD but don't have a clue where to
> start. I have tried reading tutorials but they don't make sense to me
> since I am not all that computer savvy. All I know is that I need an
> analog capture device and I don't even know what that means or how to
> use it. I do not have a DV camera. Can someone out there walk me step
> by step thru how this is done?
>
> Thanks,
> Eileen

what you need is this: