Problems After Upgrading XP MCE 2005 to Vista Home Premium

Don Deacon

Problems After Upgrading XP MCE 2005 to Vista Home Premium
I've had a bit of a struggle trying to get my XP MCE 2005 machine upgraded
to Windows Vista Home Premium.

First a couple of comments:
1) What a stupid idea not to let people do a clean install from an upgrade
disk. That is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. I do a clean
install pretty regularly when the PC gets to be a bit of a mess but doing a
major upgrade also seems like a good time to do that. Nothing like having to
jump through hoops to find a hack to let you do that...enough venting
2) After "upgrade" (which was really a new install as I found a hack for #1
above) I find the video performance is terrible compared to XP MCE 5005.
The video is jumpy, has pauses, then jumps forward at light speed. I've had
the PC just completely shut off trying to render DVD. I literally have to
unplug it and flip the switch on and off on the power supply to get the PC
to power back on.
3) The hack (which I know is unsupported) to do the clean install involves
installing the OS but not entering the CD Key initially. Then after on
Vista, you go through the upgrade routine and enter the CD Key. I upgraded 2
PCs this weekend. On the first PC, this worked fine. On my MCE box, after
going through the upgrade process, it tell me the upgrade failed and reverts
back to the previous Vista install. I am left not being able to activate
this PC.

Any input on #2 & #3 would be great if anybody has any. I'm pretty much
going to leave it as is for now and tackle it again next weekend.

Thanks,

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: Problems After Upgrading XP MCE 2005 to Vista Home Premium
You're right, the upgrade hack you tried is unsupported
and often will not work. You'll need to purchase a "full
version" of Vista if you want to install it on a blank drive.

Also, you need to visit the support web site of the manufacturer
of your video card and download/install the Vista drivers.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP