Streaming Video in IE7 & IE8 beta not working

lakelands

Streaming Video in IE7 & IE8 beta not working

Streaming Video in IE7 & IE8 beta not working.

I have been using Vista for months with no problems. Problem has just
started (like many others here) that when i click on an embedded video
within a website it opens a new webpage into which it is unable to
connect - it is as if it is attempting to play the video using IE
instead of opening WMP (which is the default).

I've done a System Restore, I've reset IE, I've downloaded IE8 beta
(same problem).

Obviously something is tricking the WMP file association of the IE
video stream into thinking it should use IE to play the video in a new
webpage. Maybe its a sneaky other player.

Any ideas would be appreciated

--
lakelands
lakelands

Re: Streaming Video in IE7 & IE8 beta not working

Well thanks to my posting in the Vista installation & setup forum under
the heading "Default programs" which stated " -When I enter the "Choose
the Programs that Windows uses by Default" and go to the link of "Set
Your Default Programs" there are no programs in the box"- a reply from
Ramesh Srinivasan, Microsoft MVP [Windows Shell/User] intrigued me and
using his link at the subject Default Programs list is completely empty
- The Winhelponline Blog:
'http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/de...pletely-empty/'
(http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/de...pletely-empty/)
I followed the following procedure on my registry:
REGISTRY FIX
To restore the system default entries to the Default Programs dialog,
download *'registeredapplications.reg'
(http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/wp...ications.reg)*
and save to Desktop. Right-click on the file and choose *Merge*. This
should restore the following entries to the applet:

- Internet Explorer
- Windows Address Book
- Windows Mail
- Windows Mail (News)
- Windows Media Player
- Windows Media Center
- Windows Calendar
- Windows Photo Gallery Viewer
- Windows Search

It worked perfectly and the full list of programs returned in the box.
I set Windows Media Player as my default player, fired up IE7 & then
IE8 beta and the imbedded videos loaded up in WMP as if nothing ever had
gone wrong.
The loss of the default program list it turns out may have been the
installation/uniinstallation of the latest Nokia PC suite. Uninstalling
it may have caused the problem of Vista losing all the software default
setting. ANyway its all fixed now

--
lakelands