Windows MMV importing AVIs as audio files only

TaraGel

Windows MMV importing AVIs as audio files only

Brand new computer running Vista Home Premium 64-bit. I tried
downloading the Vista codecs pack and also the Xvid codecs (as that's
what Gspot told me I needed for these AVIs) and now I can get them to
play in Windows Media Player but Movie Maker still won't import/identify
them as video files, only audio. (I have restarted both the program and
the computer a few times, with no luck.)
I've also tried going under Tools--Options--Compatibility and
unchecking the AVI decompression box (have tried it with box both
checked and unchecked).
Any other ideas?

--
TaraGel
zachd [MSFT]

Re: Windows MMV importing AVIs as audio files only

Movie Maker runs as 64-bit on the 64-bit system. Thus you would need a
64-bit version of the codec in question.

--
Speaking for myself only.
"TaraGel" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Brand new computer running Vista Home Premium 64-bit. I tried
> downloading the Vista codecs pack and also the Xvid codecs (as that's
> what Gspot told me I needed for these AVIs) and now I can get them to
> play in Windows Media Player but Movie Maker still won't import/identify
> them as video files, only audio. (I have restarted both the program and
> the computer a few times, with no luck.)
> I've also tried going under Tools--Options--Compatibility and
> unchecking the AVI decompression box (have tried it with box both
> checked and unchecked).
> Any other ideas?
>

> --
> TaraGel

TaraGel

Re: Windows MMV importing AVIs as audio files only

-Movie Maker runs as 64-bit on the 64-bit system. Thus you would need a-
-64-bit version of the codec in question.-

I downloaded a Vista Codec pack (which I'm guessing must be 64-bit)
from shark007.net which said I wouldn't need any other codecs, but you
think I also need a separate 64-bit Xvid codec?

--
TaraGel
Graham Hughes

Re: Windows MMV importing AVIs as audio files only
In my experience Xvid rarely works at all in movie maker, even if you have
the right codec installed, so I'd recommend converting this file to a wmv
video file.
Lots of free apps will do it, some listed here
http://www.myvideoproblems.com/WebPa...Programmes.htm

--

Graham Hughes
MVP Digital Media