WMP11 does not play asf files, missing Sharp G.726 Audio codec

Sults

WMP11 does not play asf files, missing Sharp G.726 Audio codec
When I try to watch videos recorded with my camcorder in ASF format, I will
get following WMP11 error message:
"An audio codec is needed to play this file. To determine if this codec is
available to download from the Web, click Web Help."

If I press Web Help button, I will be directed to the web page, that gives
me following information:
"Windows Media Player cannot play the file (or cannot play either the audio
or video portion of the file) because the Sharp G.726 Audio (45) codec is not
installed on your computer."

But as soon as I rename file to ASX, the WMP11 plays file correctly. On my
other computer (Windows XP) I can watch those videos without problems.
What's wrong with WMP11 on Vista?

barman58

Re: WMP11 does not play asf files, missing Sharp G.726 Audio codec

I use "Vista Codecs" package to enhance the abilities of WMP11 available
'Here' (http://shark007.net/) They actually mention the playing of .ASF
files by changing the Extension to .ASX. have a look at the site and
download If you feel it will give you what you need

I can say that I've had no problems with the package but your
experience may be different.

set a restore point before install to be safe and remove any other
codec packs you may have installed

--
barman58

--
Regards
*Barman58*
Sults

Re: WMP11 does not play asf files, missing Sharp G.726 Audio codec
I think I already have all necessary codecs, including the Sharp G.726 Audio
codec. Otherwise those videos would not play after simple renaming.
My WMP lists following audio codecs in the list of Technical Support
Information.

Audio Codecs
Type Name Format Binary Version
ACM Microsoft IMA ADPCM CODEC 0011 imaadp32.acm 6.0.6000.16386
ACM Microsoft CCITT G.711 A-Law and u-Law CODEC 0007 msg711.acm
6.0.6000.16386
ACM Microsoft GSM 6.10 Audio CODEC 0031 msgsm32.acm 6.0.6000.16386
ACM Microsoft ADPCM CODEC 0002 msadp32.acm 6.0.6000.16386
ACM Fraunhofer IIS MPEG Layer-3 Codec (decode only) 0055 l3codeca.acm
1.9.0.401
ACM Messenger Audio Codec 028E sirenacm.dll 8.5.1302.1018
ACM SHARP G.726 ACM Audio Decoder 0045 scg726.acm 1.0.0.3
ACM Microsoft PCM Converter 0001
DMO WMAudio Decoder DMO 0160, 0161, 0162, 0163 WMADMOD.DLL 11.0.6000.6324
DMO WMAPro over S/PDIF DMO 0162 WMADMOD.DLL 11.0.6000.6324
DMO WMSpeech Decoder DMO 000A, 000B WMSPDMOD.DLL 11.0.6000.6324
DMO MP3 Decoder DMO 0055 mp3dmod.dll 11.0.6000.6324

"barman58" wrote:

> I use "Vista Codecs" package to enhance the abilities of WMP11 available
> 'Here' (http://shark007.net/) They actually mention the playing of .ASF
> files by changing the Extension to .ASX. have a look at the site and
> download If you feel it will give you what you need
>
> I can say that I've had no problems with the package but your
> experience may be different.
>
> set a restore point before install to be safe and remove any other
> codec packs you may have installed
>

> --
> barman58
>
> --
> Regards
> *Barman58*
> the beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not
> understand.,- frank herbert

zachd [MSFT]

Re: WMP11 does not play asf files, missing Sharp G.726 Audio codec

Where exactly do they mention the playing of ASF files by changing the
extension to ASX? That seems like really confused logic to me, so I would
love to understand what strange logic they're thinking of.

--
Speaking for myself only.
"barman58" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> I use "Vista Codecs" package to enhance the abilities of WMP11 available
> 'Here' (http://shark007.net/) They actually mention the playing of .ASF
> files by changing the Extension to .ASX. have a look at the site and
> download If you feel it will give you what you need
>
> I can say that I've had no problems with the package but your
> experience may be different.
>
> set a restore point before install to be safe and remove any other
> codec packs you may have installed
>

> --
> barman58
>
> --
> Regards
> *Barman58*
> the beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not
> understand.,- frank herbert

zachd [MSFT]

Re: WMP11 does not play asf files, missing Sharp G.726 Audio codec

As far as I'm aware, Sharp doesn't have a Media Foundation codec available,
so this is expected. If Sharp provided a Media Foundation compatible G.726
codec, then this would work. =\

--
Speaking for myself only.
"Sults" <eesnimi.perenimi@mail.ee> wrote in message
> When I try to watch videos recorded with my camcorder in ASF format, I
> will
> get following WMP11 error message:
> "An audio codec is needed to play this file. To determine if this codec is
> available to download from the Web, click Web Help."
>
> If I press Web Help button, I will be directed to the web page, that gives
> me following information:
> "Windows Media Player cannot play the file (or cannot play either the
> audio
> or video portion of the file) because the Sharp G.726 Audio (45) codec is
> not
> installed on your computer."
>
> But as soon as I rename file to ASX, the WMP11 plays file correctly. On my
> other computer (Windows XP) I can watch those videos without problems.
> What's wrong with WMP11 on Vista?

zachd [MSFT]

Re: WMP11 does not play asf files, missing Sharp G.726 Audio codec

Ah, I see the small little reference on that page now, thanks.

That's pretty strange and amusing - thanks for pointing it out. =)

--
Speaking for myself only.
"barman58" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> I use "Vista Codecs" package to enhance the abilities of WMP11 available
> 'Here' (http://shark007.net/) They actually mention the playing of .ASF
> files by changing the Extension to .ASX. have a look at the site and
> download If you feel it will give you what you need
>
> I can say that I've had no problems with the package but your
> experience may be different.
>
> set a restore point before install to be safe and remove any other
> codec packs you may have installed
>

> --
> barman58
>
> --
> Regards
> *Barman58*
> the beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not
> understand.,- frank herbert

Sults

Re: WMP11 does not play asf files, missing Sharp G.726 Audio codec
I do not care much of Media Foundation codeces. I think WMP should play ASF
without renaming it to ASX. My Irfanview for instance can play those files
without need for renaming. The question is NOT in codeces. The WMP seems to
be crapware. I want that Microsoft makes a fix for the problem. Under Windows
XP everything is fine! Vista + WMP sucks!

> The question is NOT in codeces.

If you want to check with Sharp on this, I'm sure they can confirm this.
They work with my friends at Microsoft and should be aware of this.

>I want that Microsoft makes a fix for the problem.

That's kind of non-viable given that the Sharp G.726 is the property of the
Sharp corporation. This generally holds true for all third party codecs and
contributes to why Microsoft offers a pretty full suite of codecs that
*they* can make sure support new technologies.

Sorry - put in a request to Sharp and then change the audio stream to a
different codec. =\

--
Speaking for myself only.

Sults

Re: WMP11 does not play asf files, missing Sharp G.726 Audio codec
This might be amusing to you, but it works! After renaming the file WMP can
easily play the file! Tested on dozens of files!

"zachd [MSFT]" wrote:

> Ah, I see the small little reference on that page now, thanks.
>
> That's pretty strange and amusing - thanks for pointing it out. =)
>
> --
> Speaking for myself only.
> "barman58" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message
> >
> > I use "Vista Codecs" package to enhance the abilities of WMP11 available
> > 'Here' (http://shark007.net/) They actually mention the playing of .ASF
> > files by changing the Extension to .ASX. have a look at the site and
> > download If you feel it will give you what you need
> >
> > I can say that I've had no problems with the package but your
> > experience may be different.
> >
> > set a restore point before install to be safe and remove any other
> > codec packs you may have installed
> >

> > --
> > barman58
> >
> > --
> > Regards
> > *Barman58*
> > the beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not
> > understand.,- frank herbert

Sults

Re: WMP11 does not play asf files, missing Sharp G.726 Audio codec
As WMP is only application that is not able to play those asf files in my
computer, the problem must lie there! I have Sharp codec (came with my
camcorder) and other video players play those files just fine. How should I
prove, that WMP is the problem here?