Using DIR to list music files to .txt file

Gary

Using DIR to list music files to .txt file
I have a very large music collection and need to list all the files to a text
file. I have done this before but can not remember the DIR command to do it.

Importantly the only information I need returned is the file name only, NOT
the directory.

this is my directory structure;
C:\user\me\music\music archive\artistdir\album\artist - trackname.mp3

Many thanks
Gary
Gary

RE: Using DIR to list music files to .txt file
PS... If it is not possible to remove the "c:\user\me\music\music
archive\abba\best of\..." address from the file name, can this be done in
excel? Delete everything to the left of "\"?

If it can, please keep the instructions simple, I am not an excel user!

Thanks again.
John Inzer

Gary wrote:
> I have a very large music collection and need to list all the files
> to a text file. I have done this before but can not remember the DIR
> command to do it.
>
> Importantly the only information I need returned is the file name
> only, NOT the directory.
>
> this is my directory structure;
> C:\user\me\music\music archive\artistdir\album\artist - trackname.mp3
>
> Many thanks
> Gary

Maybe the following freebie would be worth a try:

Karen's Directory Printer
http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptdirprn.asp

--

John Inzer
MS Digital Media MVP

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk

barman58

Re: Using DIR to list music files to .txt file

Slightly off topic but if you use MediaMonkey you can produce a report
in CSV or even Directly into Excel format. and it's designed to handle
large collections (10000+)

--
barman58

--
Regards
*Barman58*
Ramesh Srinivasan, MS-MVP

Re: Using DIR to list music files to .txt file
Open a Command Prompt window and type:

cd /d "C:\user\me\music\music archive\artistdir\album"
Type "DIR /B >Index.txt"

See also:

How to add the Print Directory feature for file system folders in Windows
Vista:
http://www.winhelponline.com/article...ows-Vista.html

--
Regards,

The Winhelponline Blog http://www.winhelponline.com/blog

"Gary" <Gary@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a very large music collection and need to list all the files to a
>text
> file. I have done this before but can not remember the DIR command to do
> it.
>
> Importantly the only information I need returned is the file name only,
> NOT
> the directory.
>
> this is my directory structure;
> C:\user\me\music\music archive\artistdir\album\artist - trackname.mp3
>
> Many thanks
> Gary

Gary

Re: Using DIR to list music files to .txt file
Hi - Thank you John, that is so much easier than the "DIR" and copy to Excel
route!

Thank you!
Gary

"John Inzer" wrote:

> Gary wrote:
> > I have a very large music collection and need to list all the files
> > to a text file. I have done this before but can not remember the DIR
> > command to do it.
> >
> > Importantly the only information I need returned is the file name
> > only, NOT the directory.
> >
> > this is my directory structure;
> > C:\user\me\music\music archive\artistdir\album\artist - trackname.mp3
> >
> > Many thanks
> > Gary

> Maybe the following freebie would be worth a try:
>
> Karen's Directory Printer
> http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptdirprn.asp
>
> --
>
> John Inzer
> MS Digital Media MVP
>
> Notice
> This is not tech support
> I am a volunteer
>
> Solutions that work for
> me may not work for you
>
> Proceed at your own risk

Gary

Re: Using DIR to list music files to .txt file
Hi - Thank you John, that is so much easier than the "DIR" and copy to Excel
route!

Thank you!
Gary

(Sorry also posted to wrong thread)

"John Inzer" wrote:

> Gary wrote:
> > I have a very large music collection and need to list all the files
> > to a text file. I have done this before but can not remember the DIR
> > command to do it.
> >
> > Importantly the only information I need returned is the file name
> > only, NOT the directory.
> >
> > this is my directory structure;
> > C:\user\me\music\music archive\artistdir\album\artist - trackname.mp3
> >
> > Many thanks
> > Gary

> Maybe the following freebie would be worth a try:
>
> Karen's Directory Printer
> http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptdirprn.asp
>
> --
>
> John Inzer
> MS Digital Media MVP
>
> Notice
> This is not tech support
> I am a volunteer
>
> Solutions that work for
> me may not work for you
>
> Proceed at your own risk

John Inzer

Gary wrote:
> Hi - Thank you John, that is so much easier than the "DIR" and copy
> to Excel route!
>
> Thank you!
> Gary

====================