Choosing a file to show on folder icon?

tru_faith86

Choosing a file to show on folder icon?

Hi,
I have just recently bought a new computer which has Windows Vista Home
Premium. I am used to Windows XP, and the only problem I am having with
is the folders option. I try to explain my problem that I am having. I
have created a folder on my desktop to organize all my photos. I have
many folders inside, with sub-folders, and more sub-folders, etc. With
Windows Vista, they show my folders automatically with 2 random pictures
inside each folder on the icon. So I right-click and choose properties,
go to customize, and choose a file of my choice from that folder to show
on my folder icon, so I can have a better idea of which pictures are
inside each of my folders! However, when I close my windows, or go into
another folder, etc, eventually they lose this of what I have choosen
and go back to showing 2 random pictures again. I try changing them
again and again, now I just feel like I am wasting my time because they
just keep on going back to showing 2 random ones. I don't know how to
make my changes stay the way I want it to.
Please help!
Thanks.
Sarah

--
tru_faith86
magicalones

Re: Choosing a file to show on folder icon?

Rename The Folder Picture To Folder.jpg ...Peace

--
magicalones
oscar

RE: Choosing a file to show on folder icon?

Hi Sarah,

You may not have full ownership of that folder. (Yes, the UAC again.)

Try this:

Right click folder > Properties > Security > Advanced > Owner > Edit >
choose current users name to gain ownership of this folder.

Then:

Customize tab > folder pictures > choose file (photo).

This works on Folders with just photo files inside and Folders with
subfolders with photo files inside.

Good luck…

--
oscar

....Right click is your very good friend...

"tru_faith86" wrote:

> Hi,
> I have just recently bought a new computer which has Windows Vista Home
> Premium. I am used to Windows XP, and the only problem I am having with
> is the folders option. I try to explain my problem that I am having. I
> have created a folder on my desktop to organize all my photos. I have
> many folders inside, with sub-folders, and more sub-folders, etc. With
> Windows Vista, they show my folders automatically with 2 random pictures
> inside each folder on the icon. So I right-click and choose properties,
> go to customize, and choose a file of my choice from that folder to show
> on my folder icon, so I can have a better idea of which pictures are
> inside each of my folders! However, when I close my windows, or go into
> another folder, etc, eventually they lose this of what I have choosen
> and go back to showing 2 random pictures again. I try changing them
> again and again, now I just feel like I am wasting my time because they
> just keep on going back to showing 2 random ones. I don't know how to
> make my changes stay the way I want it to.
> Please help!
> Thanks.
> Sarah
>

> --
> tru_faith86

magicalones

Re: Choosing a file to show on folder icon?

Oscar, its a simple fix just rename the picture you want to thumbnail to
Folder.jpg
right click IN that folder and select REFRESH

--
magicalones
oscar

Re: Choosing a file to show on folder icon?
Workarounds are good.

But in this case, if the user has full ownership of the folders then
workarounds aren't necessary. And if the user doesn't have full ownership
then some other unexpected problems may appear in the future.

Anyways, now tru_faith has two options to solve her dilemna.

Cheers...