Sudden problem getting video via Firewire in Windows Vista

Vidar Kristiansen

Sudden problem getting video via Firewire in Windows Vista
I have Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit Service pack 1

When I plug in my Panasonic NV-GS180 via firewire, Win Vista offers me
the choice of

1. Importing the video with Windows importer
2. DV capture with PowerProducer
3. Import and edit with Pinnacle studio

The Pinnacle studio I have is version 12 by the way.

Now comes the problem, all of the 3 programs claim that I have not got a
video device connected, in spite of the fact that the entry "Panasonic
DV Camcorder" is listed under Window's device manager.

Now, the video capture used to work in Pinnacle studio before. The most
notable change I have done in the meantime is upgrading Vista to service
pack 1. I seem to remember that with XP Microsoft managed to mess up
their Firewire support from one service pack to another. Is that what
has happened again?

Vidar Kristiansen
Oslo, Norway
Vidar Kristiansen

Re: Sudden problem getting video via Firewire in Windows Vista
It actually turns out that no camera is working at all, not even the
built in web cam. They are all there in the listing in the device
manager, but no application can discover them.

Vidar.