Acer OrbiCam works intermittently

Joe Auerbach

Acer OrbiCam works intermittently
I have an Acer Aspire 5610 with the built-in Logitech Orbicam. At some point
a cpl of weeks ago it started working only intermittently. More often than
not, when starting the camera, I'd get a quick popup saying that it's either
not connected or that some other app is using it.
Logitech's site washes their hands, saying that they only supply the camera
to the vendor and to talk to Acer. Acer's support is useless, only saying to
reinstall the drivers, and then the app (neither helped), and then to rebuild
the machine (not gonna happen).
Logitech's forum has postings from a whole bunch of users with the same
problem, none of whom have gotten any help from them or Acer, I thought I'd
throw it out here.
Thanx, Joe Auerbach
pisdoffaceruser

Re: Acer OrbiCam works intermittently

I have read more of these postings than I have had hot dinners. And the
response is always the same. The silence from Acer is absolutely
deafening. I have installed every driver for every orbicam available for
the 5610 and I have reinstalled the acer web cam application several
times as well, and I have deleted all the photos from "My pictures"
folder, nothing works. The most annoying part is that I know that the
darn thing works, because if I click on C:\Windows\BisonC07\LiveCa07.exe
I can see myself in a little window on the screen (looking really pissed
off).
Come on Acer, come up with a patch for this please, Vista has been out
for over 18 months, surly you can come up with some kind of fix for
this.

--
pisdoffaceruser
Joe Auerbach

Re: Acer OrbiCam works intermittently
"pisdoffaceruser", I had a long talk with Acer "support" last week (yes, I
actually got to a human on the phone), and tried to explain to him why it
might be in Acer's best interest for them and Logitech to at least have a
talk about this issue, since it affects so many users (I tied to encourage
him to look at Logitech's site to see what I was talking about). He refused,
saying that while he was the "highest level tech support", he wasn't in a
position to authorize such a discussion. I asid "fine, maybe your boss or
someone in Corp PR or anyone who cares about what's left of Acer's reputation
setting up such a meeting", and he just directed me to their PR department.
From a tech perspective, all he could suggest is bringing my machine to depot
repair, since maybe the internal USB connection was loose. I reminded him
that my machine was out of warranty, and that I'd have to pay for this
"service", and that they'd have the machine for a cpl of weeks and then
probably just reload the original image, erasing whatever I'd installed sice
I had it.
End result - nada useful, and it's more annoying that he couldn't even see
the point that I was trying to make.
Rgds, Joe