can't combine files in Movie Maker

LiveAndLearn

can't combine files in Movie Maker
Hello all,

I tried to merge/combine miltiple WMV video clips using Windows Movie Maker,
but the COMBINE option on the Click menu was greyed out (disabled)...how
come? Is this a trial version (I have this software already installed on my
new PC)?

Thanx in advance

L&L
PapaJohn

Re: can't combine files in Movie Maker
the combine feature is sort of like an 'undo'.... you can only undo what you
did. Combining clips only works if you cut a clip in two or more parts and
you want to put them back together.

PapaJohn (MVP)

"LiveAndLearn" <LiveAndLearn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello all,
>
> I tried to merge/combine miltiple WMV video clips using Windows Movie
> Maker,
> but the COMBINE option on the Click menu was greyed out (disabled)...how
> come? Is this a trial version (I have this software already installed on
> my
> new PC)?
>
> Thanx in advance
>
> L&L

LiveAndLearn

Re: can't combine files in Movie Maker
I see. Thanx for replying.

Know of any good software for combining/joining/merging multiple WMV video
clips, preferrably free (as I don't use it a great deal).

ASFTools served me well for this purpose in XP. I just discovered that it
didn't run very well in Vista after fell over a few times.

Cheers

L&L

"PapaJohn" wrote:

> the combine feature is sort of like an 'undo'.... you can only undo what you
> did. Combining clips only works if you cut a clip in two or more parts and
> you want to put them back together.
>
> --
> website references are to www.papajohn.org
>
> PapaJohn (MVP)
>

> "LiveAndLearn" <LiveAndLearn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I tried to merge/combine miltiple WMV video clips using Windows Movie
> > Maker,
> > but the COMBINE option on the Click menu was greyed out (disabled)...how
> > come? Is this a trial version (I have this software already installed on
> > my
> > new PC)?
> >
> > Thanx in advance
> >
> > L&L

John Inzer

LiveAndLearn wrote:
> I see. Thanx for replying.
>
> Know of any good software for combining/joining/merging multiple WMV
> video clips, preferrably free (as I don't use it a great deal).
>

> ASFTools served me well for this purpose in XP. I just discovered
> that it didn't run very well in Vista after fell over a few times.
>
> Cheers
>
> L&L

Just drag the clips to your timeline and Publish the movie
as described in the following articles...that will combine
them into a single .wmv or .avi movie file.

Windows Vista -
Publish a movie in
Windows Movie Maker
http://tinyurl.com/2lo4gp
or...
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...8cdf21033.mspx

The following link explains about .avi files:

Movie Maker in Vista -
Publishing / Quality Profiles
http://www.papajohn.org/Vista-Publishing.html

--

John Inzer
MS Digital Media MVP

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk

Bonnie

Re: can't combine files in Movie Maker
This sounds in relation as to what I'm trying to attempt...How do you merge
two pictures together on windows movie maker?
John Inzer

Bonnie wrote:
> This sounds in relation as to what I'm trying to attempt...How do you
> merge two pictures together on windows movie maker?

==========================
I'm unsure what you mean when you say
merge two pictures together. Please
describe exactly what you are trying to
accomplish.

--

John Inzer
MS Digital Media MVP

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk

Bonnie

Re: can't combine files in Movie Maker
Hmm, how can i say this....alright well there's a symbol on movies maker that
says split, I thought that was used to make a double pic out of different
shots so, maybe I've got this wrong, and that's not how it works, anyways
thanks for you're help.
John Inzer

Bonnie wrote:
> Hmm, how can i say this....alright well there's a symbol on movies
> maker that says split, I thought that was used to make a double pic
> out of different shots so, maybe I've got this wrong, and that's not
> how it works, anyways thanks for you're help.

============================
That option is for splitting a video clip.

Once again...what is the result you are
trying to achieve?

Are you saying you want two pictures
side by side in the same frame? This
would be accomplished by preparing
the picture in an editing program before
you import it.

--

John Inzer
MS Digital Media MVP

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk

Mark Blain

<LiveAndLearn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote (in part):

> Know of any good software for combining/joining/merging multiple WMV
> video clips, preferrably free (as I don't use it a great deal).
>

> ASFTools served me well for this purpose in XP. I just discovered that
> it didn't run very well in Vista after fell over a few times.

Microsoft's own Windows Media Encoder package contains a file editor to
split, join & trim files. I have not tried it.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...r/default.mspx

You can also use WMAppend from the same package, by commmand line or with a
GUI wrapper as explained at
http://www.wmptalk.com/ftopic3130.html
NYTXN

Re: can't combine files in Movie Maker
John why do the instructions in HELP on the Windows Movie Maker tell us to
combine and yet it has no way to ? I am crazy or something... to think I
almost had to pay $59 for someone to tell me that it will not work? I am
beat up pretty bad over this lack of clear instructions in the program...
respond if you want I realize you are a kind volunteer... I am sick about
this issue and the lack of answers.. HELP is not clear on combining 2 clips
nytxn