Windows Media Stops Working with DVDs

DoctorA

Windows Media Stops Working with DVDs

To The Experts,
Past weeks I have had problem when trying to play DVD with WMP or Media
Center that both state problem has caused to close. This is data from
latest WMP close:
*problem signature
*problem event name: appcrash
application name: wmplayer.exe
application version: 11.0.6001.7000
application timestamp: 47919356
fault module name: msmpeg2adec.dll
fault module version: 11.0.6001.7000
fault module timestamp: 4791a771
exception code: c00000fd
exception offset: 0000c8e2
os version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3
locale id: 1033
additional information 1: fd00
additional information 2: ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160
additional information 3: fd00
additional information 4: ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160

i have done work around by installing media player classic that came
with windows essential media codec pack 1. i know most of you feel that
codec packs are bad but downloaded this for the player. dvd maker also
stopped working same time and downloaded super dvd creator(paid
software) that actually works better than dvd maker so this was a
positive.

please let me know if there is any resolution.

thank you,

bob

--
DoctorA
locoeng

Re: Windows Media Stops Working with DVDs

Did you install the codec pack after you started having problems with
WMP? Looks like msmpeg2adec.dll may be conflicting with another
decoder/codec. do you have other a/v software such as nero, roxio etc.
installed?

--
locoeng

vista ultimate 32/64 bit dual boot
gigabyte ep35 ds3r/xfx geforce 8600gt/corsair 520hx
g.skill ddr ii 800 x2 gigs
seagate 120gb (ide) x2/wd 750 (sata)
samsung sh203b sbo3 patched codeking
pioneer 215l patched mcse
nec/optiarc 7200s 1.06bt liggy&dee
lite-on 20a1l bl06 -fb fbl eos eoht 6-
DoctorA

Re: Windows Media Stops Working with DVDs

Hi locoeng,

I installed codec after problem had already started. My laptop came
pre-installed with Nero 7 Essentials and was working OK. The only other
AV that was downloaded before was Quicktime Alternative and DivX which
were not causing problems before. Once the problem started I did
download and then uninstall few codec packs trying to resolve. I
suppose some times may have been left behind. Is there a program that
will clear any codecs left behind?

Thanks for any help you can suggest,

Bob

--
DoctorA
locoeng

Re: Windows Media Stops Working with DVDs

There should be a typical uninstaller for the codec(s) you want to
remove. You could also try reinstalling WMP to see if overwriting the
existing *.dll with a fresh copy will remedy your error. I don't think
the Vista codec pack is the culprit though...I could be wrong.

--
locoeng

vista ultimate 32/64 bit dual boot
gigabyte ep35 ds3r/xfx geforce 8600gt/corsair 520hx
g.skill ddr ii 800 x2 gigs
seagate 120gb (ide) x2/wd 750 (sata)
samsung sh203b sbo3 patched codeking
pioneer 215l patched mcse
nec/optiarc 7200s 1.06bt liggy&dee
lite-on 20a1l bl06 -fb fbl eos eoht 6-
DoctorA

Re: Windows Media Stops Working with DVDs

I cannot uninstall or download WMP in Vista since is integrated in OS.
Would unregistering of the dll file causing problem help?

Thanks,

Bob

--
DoctorA
locoeng

Re: Windows Media Stops Working with DVDs

Try DirectShow Filter Manager first ~ 'Free-Codecs.com :: Download
DirectShow Filter Manager 0.5 : DirectShow Filter Manager helps you to
list, sort, find, add or remove DirectShow filters'
(http://www.free-codecs.com/download/...er_Manager.htm)

--
locoeng

vista ultimate 32/64 bit dual boot
gigabyte ep35 ds3r/xfx geforce 8600gt/corsair 520hx
g.skill ddr ii 800 x2 gigs
seagate 120gb (ide) x2/wd 750 (sata)
samsung sh203b sbo3 patched codeking
pioneer 215l patched mcse
nec/optiarc 7200s 1.06bt liggy&dee
lite-on 20a1l bl06 -fb fbl eos eoht 6-
DoctorA

Re: Windows Media Stops Working with DVDs

Thanks locoeng. I downloaded but will play with this after I get some
sleep.

Bob

--
DoctorA

zachd [MSFT]

Re: Windows Media Stops Working with DVDs

Not likely.

--
Speaking for myself only.
"DoctorA" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> I cannot uninstall or download WMP in Vista since is integrated in OS.
> Would unregistering of the dll file causing problem help?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bob
>

> --
> DoctorA

zachd [MSFT]

Re: Windows Media Stops Working with DVDs

Did you use the Problem Reports and Solutions Center control panel to check
for solutions? If you inspect the View Problem History for that afterwards,
what's the fault bucket number?