DVD Default Program

cisbrane

DVD Default Program

Hello,

I have a DVD Video program that I prefer over Media Center. I have set
my AutoPlay to automatically load it when I insert my DVD, but I can not
at all figure out how to set it to be the default program when you
double click on the DVD icon from Computer folder.

I found one site that had listed modifications to the registry at:
HEKY_CLASSES_ROOT \ DVD \ shell \ play \ command \

I am not sure if I can simply change this program value to my other one
or not. I am kind of afraid of registry modifications on other people's
computers.

I tried the more friendly route of Control Panel->Default Programs, but
it was not listed here! only in AutoPlay settings no where else.

thank you for any help.

--
cisbrane
Brink

Re: DVD Default Program

cisbrane;797414 Wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a DVD Video program that I prefer over Media Center. I have set
> my AutoPlay to automatically load it when I insert my DVD, but I can not
> at all figure out how to set it to be the default program when you
> double click on the DVD icon from Computer folder.
>
> I found one site that had listed modifications to the registry at:
> HEKY_CLASSES_ROOT \ DVD \ shell \ play \ command \
>
> I am not sure if I can simply change this program value to my other one
> or not. I am kind of afraid of registry modifications on other people's
> computers.
>
> I tried the more friendly route of Control Panel->Default Programs, but
> it was not listed here! only in AutoPlay settings no where else.
>
> thank you for any help.

Hi Cisbrane,

Check to see if your DVD program has an option or setting in it to make
it the default program. If not, then you can use Default Programs to set
what "Current Default Program" is used to open a file extension with
instead. You can do this with all of the video file extensions that are
support by your DVD program. This tutorial will show you how to.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/69...-programs.html

Hope this helps,
Shawn

--
Brink

them.*
*Please post feedback to help others.*
zachd [MSFT]

Re: DVD Default Program

I'd also add that the writes of that DVD program could very easily add
registration so that they show up in the AutoPlay option. I would suggest
asking them to do that so that everyone can benefit. =)

--
Speaking for myself only.
"Brink" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> cisbrane;797414 Wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have a DVD Video program that I prefer over Media Center. I have set
>> my AutoPlay to automatically load it when I insert my DVD, but I can not
>> at all figure out how to set it to be the default program when you
>> double click on the DVD icon from Computer folder.
>>
>> I found one site that had listed modifications to the registry at:
>> HEKY_CLASSES_ROOT \ DVD \ shell \ play \ command \
>>
>> I am not sure if I can simply change this program value to my other one
>> or not. I am kind of afraid of registry modifications on other people's
>> computers.
>>
>> I tried the more friendly route of Control Panel->Default Programs, but
>> it was not listed here! only in AutoPlay settings no where else.
>>
>> thank you for any help.

> Hi Cisbrane,
>
> Check to see if your DVD program has an option or setting in it to make
> it the default program. If not, then you can use Default Programs to set
> what "Current Default Program" is used to open a file extension with
> instead. You can do this with all of the video file extensions that are
> support by your DVD program. This tutorial will show you how to.
>
> http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/69...-programs.html
>
> Hope this helps,
> Shawn
>

> --
> Brink
>
> *There are no dumb questions, just the people that do not ask
> them.*
> '*VISTA FORUMS*' (http://www.vistax64.com)

cisbrane

Re: DVD Default Program

Hello,

The program I am using is HP QuickPlay. It is not listed in the control
panel for default programs, and it won't let me add any new programs to
it. Is there a way to add a new program to it? It is listed in AutoPlay
settings but that is it. If there is a registry mod i can do i might be
willing to do it.

cisbrane;798392 Wrote:
> Hello,
>
> The program I am using is HP QuickPlay. It is not listed in the control
> panel for default programs, and it won't let me add any new programs to
> it. Is there a way to add a new program to it? It is listed in AutoPlay
> settings but that is it. If there is a registry mod i can do i might be
> willing to do it.
>
> > 'zachd [MSFT Wrote:
> > ;798217']I'd also add that the writes of that DVD program could very
> > easily add
> > registration so that they show up in the AutoPlay option. I would
> > suggest
> > asking them to do that so that everyone can benefit. =)
> >
> > --
> > Speaking for myself only.
> > See 'WMP FAQ: A trouble-shooting guide for Windows Media Player
> > problems.' (http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html) for some helpful WMP info.
> > rights.
> > --
> > "Brink" <guest@xxxxxx-email.com> wrote in message
> > news:169e1ae5f48184f0e8e8fad16e98e98c@xxxxxx-gateway.com...> > > > >

> > > make
> > > set
> > > are

Cisbrane,

Yes, the method I gave you quoted here will show you how to set the
individual file extentions to be opened by the HP QuickPlay program by
default. You will just need to select the EXE file for HP QuickPlay for
the "Current Default" in that tutorial link quoted above.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

--
Brink

them.*
*Please post feedback to help others.*
cisbrane

Re: DVD Default Program

thanks,

i am about to retry. however, my issue isn't with file extensions. IT
is with double clicking the DVD icon in My Computer.. it auto loads
windows media palyer -- this is what i want to change.

--
cisbrane
Brink

Re: DVD Default Program

I'm sorry Cisbrane,

I have misunderstood your problem. Unless that program as a option to
make it the default program in it, then I do not think you will be able
to get it to open from the DVD icon by just setting the file extensions.

Sorry,
Shawn