CD ripping?

Mark Bohlsen

CD ripping?
I posted this question in the general section before I noticed there was a
section for music. I received a less than stellar reply, so I though I would
try the same question here.

I want to rip dozen's of CD's to a file format with the best quality and
least amount of hard disk space taken up. Which should I choose, mp3
(128 kbps), wma (128 kbps) or wma pro at (128 kbps)? Any help would greatly
be appreciated along with an explanation as to why a certain choice would be
better than the other. Thanks in advance.

oscar

RE: CD ripping?
Hi Mark,

I rip at 128 kbps in wma format for my two pocket size "mp3" players. 128
kbps is fine for mp3 players.

I choose wma format in case I want to use the music in a Windows application
such as windows movie maker or windows dvd maker/slide show. Wma format
always works in these Windows applications. Recently I had trouble using mp3
format in WMM and Wdvdmaker because of a codec conflict from a 3rd party
application. Until poster Zach had helped me clear up that problem I used wma
audio files as a workaround.

The final decision is yours. Try ripping at a few different rates and
formats and decide which format sounds best to you.

--
oscar

....Right click is your good friend...

"Mark Bohlsen" wrote:

> I posted this question in the general section before I noticed there was a
> section for music. I received a less than stellar reply, so I though I would
> try the same question here.
>
> I want to rip dozen's of CD's to a file format with the best quality and
> least amount of hard disk space taken up. Which should I choose, mp3
> (128 kbps), wma (128 kbps) or wma pro at (128 kbps)? Any help would greatly
> be appreciated along with an explanation as to why a certain choice would be
> better than the other. Thanks in advance.

Mark Bohlsen

RE: CD ripping?
Thank you for the reply. I ripped all my cd's with wma 128 and most sound
pretty good. I found this link, but for the life of me I can't tell the
difference. Thanks again for the honest and complete response.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...userlocale=409

"oscar" wrote:

> Hi Mark,
>
> I rip at 128 kbps in wma format for my two pocket size "mp3" players. 128
> kbps is fine for mp3 players.
>
> I choose wma format in case I want to use the music in a Windows application
> such as windows movie maker or windows dvd maker/slide show. Wma format
> always works in these Windows applications. Recently I had trouble using mp3
> format in WMM and Wdvdmaker because of a codec conflict from a 3rd party
> application. Until poster Zach had helped me clear up that problem I used wma
> audio files as a workaround.
>
> The final decision is yours. Try ripping at a few different rates and
> formats and decide which format sounds best to you.
>

> --
> oscar
>
> ...Right click is your good friend...
>

> "Mark Bohlsen" wrote:
>
> > I posted this question in the general section before I noticed there was a
> > section for music. I received a less than stellar reply, so I though I would
> > try the same question here.
> >
> > I want to rip dozen's of CD's to a file format with the best quality and
> > least amount of hard disk space taken up. Which should I choose, mp3
> > (128 kbps), wma (128 kbps) or wma pro at (128 kbps)? Any help would greatly
> > be appreciated along with an explanation as to why a certain choice would be
> > better than the other. Thanks in advance.

oscar

RE: CD ripping?
You're welcome.
--