color variations between vista and xp

Min. James R. Bellar

color variations between vista and xp
Greetings +

I do some graphical work for a person to make cutter files for them to
make horse stall curtains. They usualy want a visual sent in a jpg format to
approve. I was using Corel draw for my work on an xp. One day
CimonesUnlimited (the stall curtian maker) got an email back from their
client asking why the colors were not what they asked for. CimonesUnlimited
did not know. For what I had sent them looked good on their computer also as
well as mine. CimonesUnlimited was also using an xp. So I decided to send my
file to one of my other Vista computers and it indeed did not show the right
colors. Now I switched everything over to the vista and bought a new corel
draw for vista and there is still the same problem now if I send from my
vista to an xp the colors are way off. It acts like the jpg colors are
different for the different operating systems? How can this be, and can
anything be done? Not every jpg has differences so maybe it is a corel
problem, and I may need to comtact them? Any suggestions?
Thank you,
JiM

Min. James R. Bellar

Re: color variations between vista and xp
Sorry for some mis information, when I did an experiment of posting to
CimonesUnlimited website (as I also do thier homepage work) they said it
looked the same as I had sent them, I viewed it in vista and on my xp and it
is correct. They just was not able to see my darker blue and was telling me
they saw black, and my purple they saw as red, lol, and I did not send the
picture to my xp to see if it looked right there before posting my other
message. Sorry again. Maybe switching everthing to my vista will work then I
hope. I know it did have the problem from my xp to vista colors. I'll have
to keep watching the vista to xps then.
Thanks again,
JiM
www.doveoutreach.org

"Min. James R. Bellar" <a-p-o-s-t-l-eRemoveAll-@doveoutreach.org> wrote in
message news:uxTp$ek9IHA.4468@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> Greetings +
>
> I do some graphical work for a person to make cutter files for them to
> make horse stall curtains. They usualy want a visual sent in a jpg format
> to approve. I was using Corel draw for my work on an xp. One day
> CimonesUnlimited (the stall curtian maker) got an email back from their
> client asking why the colors were not what they asked for.
> CimonesUnlimited did not know. For what I had sent them looked good on
> their computer also as well as mine. CimonesUnlimited was also using an
> xp. So I decided to send my file to one of my other Vista computers and it
> indeed did not show the right colors. Now I switched everything over to
> the vista and bought a new corel draw for vista and there is still the
> same problem now if I send from my vista to an xp the colors are way off.
> It acts like the jpg colors are different for the different operating
> systems? How can this be, and can anything be done? Not every jpg has
> differences so maybe it is a corel problem, and I may need to comtact
> them? Any suggestions?
> Thank you,
> JiM

John Inzer

Min. James R. Bellar wrote:
> Sorry for some mis information, when I did an experiment of posting to
> CimonesUnlimited website (as I also do thier homepage work) they said
> it looked the same as I had sent them, I viewed it in vista and on my
> xp and it is correct. They just was not able to see my darker blue
> and was telling me they saw black, and my purple they saw as red,
> lol, and I did not send the picture to my xp to see if it looked
> right there before posting my other message. Sorry again. Maybe
> switching everthing to my vista will work then I hope. I know it did
> have the problem from my xp to vista colors. I'll have to keep
> watching the vista to xps then. Thanks again,
> JiM
> www.doveoutreach.org
>
> "Min. James R. Bellar" <a-p-o-s-t-l-eRemoveAll-@doveoutreach.org>
> wrote in message news:uxTp$ek9IHA.4468@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
>> Greetings +
>>
>> I do some graphical work for a person to make cutter files for
>> them to make horse stall curtains. They usualy want a visual sent in
>> a jpg format to approve. I was using Corel draw for my work on an
>> xp. One day CimonesUnlimited (the stall curtian maker) got an email
>> back from their client asking why the colors were not what they
>> asked for. CimonesUnlimited did not know. For what I had sent them
>> looked good on their computer also as well as mine. CimonesUnlimited
>> was also using an xp. So I decided to send my file to one of my
>> other Vista computers and it indeed did not show the right colors.
>> Now I switched everything over to the vista and bought a new corel
>> draw for vista and there is still the same problem now if I send
>> from my vista to an xp the colors are way off. It acts like the jpg
>> colors are different for the different operating systems? How can
>> this be, and can anything be done? Not every jpg has differences so
>> maybe it is a corel problem, and I may need to comtact them? Any
>> suggestions? Thank you,
>> JiM

==============================
Maybe the following articles would be worth a look:

(939395) When you view an image in Windows
Photo Gallery on a Windows Vista-based computer,
the image is yellow
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/939395/en-us

Microsoft PhotoBlog Frequently Asked Questions:
http://blogs.msdn.com/pix/pages/faq.aspx#q6
Read: "Q: Why do my photos have an odd color
cast in the Photo Gallery (but look fine in the XP
Picture and Fax Viewer and IE)?"

Yellow pictures in Windows Photo Gallery
http://tinyurl.com/33gxum
or...
http://www.vistax64.com/vista-genera...o-gallery.html

--

John Inzer
MS Digital Media MVP

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk

Clevo

Min. James R. Bellar;795028 Wrote:
> Sorry for some mis information, when I did an experiment of posting to
> CimonesUnlimited website (as I also do thier homepage work) they said
> it
> looked the same as I had sent them, I viewed it in vista and on my xp
> and it
> is correct. They just was not able to see my darker blue and was
> telling me
> they saw black, and my purple they saw as red, lol, and I did not send
> the
> picture to my xp to see if it looked right there before posting my
> other
> message. Sorry again. Maybe switching everthing to my vista will work
> then I
> hope. I know it did have the problem from my xp to vista colors. I'll
> have
> to keep watching the vista to xps then.
> Thanks again,
> JiM
> 'www.doveoutreach.org' (http://www.doveoutreach.org)
>
> "Min. James R. Bellar" <a-p-o-s-t-l-eRemoveAll-@xxxxxx> wrote in
> message news:uxTp$ek9IHA.4468@xxxxxx> > >
> > > Greetings +
> > >
> > > I do some graphical work for a person to make cutter files for them

> > > make horse stall curtains. They usualy want a visual sent in a jpg

> > format
> > > to approve. I was using Corel draw for my work on an xp. One day
> > > CimonesUnlimited (the stall curtian maker) got an email back from

> > their
> > > client asking why the colors were not what they asked for.
> > > CimonesUnlimited did not know. For what I had sent them looked good

> > on
> > > their computer also as well as mine. CimonesUnlimited was also using

> > an
> > > xp. So I decided to send my file to one of my other Vista computers

> > and it
> > > indeed did not show the right colors. Now I switched everything over

> > > the vista and bought a new corel draw for vista and there is still

> > the
> > > same problem now if I send from my vista to an xp the colors are way

> > off.
> > > It acts like the jpg colors are different for the different operating
> > > systems? How can this be, and can anything be done? Not every jpg has
> > > differences so maybe it is a corel problem, and I may need to comtact
> > > them? Any suggestions?
> > > Thank you,
> > > JiM > >

Colour managemnt is complicated.

Mac's have been preferred for graphics works specifically because of
this problem of colour management. Vista tries to correct this to bring
it inline with what mac's are capable of.

Of course with the 1000000000's of different combinations of monitors
to hardware andf then each person individually calibrating monitors to
their own tastes means what one image looks like on my system will look
different on yours.

Hence why I miss my old CRT monitor...no backlight issues and easier to
colour calibrate.

There are manymany articles on the web. If you have an LCD monitor do a
google search on colour(or color) callibrating an LCD on Vista. There
are some handy hints and charts to use to assist in colour calibrations
between your Software, monitor, printer and scanner....getting them all
to match up to any industry standard is very difficult but it's doable

--
Clevo

___________________________
Windows Vista Home Premium x64 + SP1
ASUS P5K MB
Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4GHz
4GB RAM (DDR2)
NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GTS
Realtek HD onboard sound

Helpful links:
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...91033.mspx#EEE
Chuck

Re: color variations between vista and xp
One of the big problems is standardization. Without some sort of monitor
calibration, what you see is not what you get.
Next, applications don't always observe any system wide color settings the
same way. Finally, Vista has additional color oriented capabilities and
settings that may come into play. If that isn't bad enough, various video
drivers have settings that may or may not interact with the enhanced Vista
color support.

And color printers, scanners, and the like just add to the complexity and
confusion.

A "standard" reference is

http://www.colourmanagement.ca/images/Getty_Images.jpg

To start, pay particuliar attention to the Grey scale in the image.
For whatever reasons, Getty keeps moving the reference images around on it's
websites, so a direct reference is not reliable.

Without a lot more information as to how the systems are setup, it's really
difficult to come up with a cause/solution tree.

The following can easily occur between two "uncalibrated" XP or Vista
systems, due to differences in monitors and video card driver settings.

news:5NqdnQ56qedzswrVnZ2dnUVZ_t7inZ2d@comcast.com. ..