How do I format the E Drive without erasing the data?

schne017

How do I format the E Drive without erasing the data?
I have a built in E drive on my laptop that is intended for a memory stick.
When I first got the laptop, I was able to insert the memory stick from my
camera and have the photos uploaded without a problem. I went to do that
again, but it is now prompting me that I have to format the drive and doing
so will erase all date on the memory stick. How do I format the drive but
keep my pictures? Please help!
Hogtowner

Re: How do I format the E Drive without erasing the data?

Your computer can no longer read that stick as it is. If your camera can
still view images off the stick, then you may be able to salvage the
images on it by going to a more forgiving computer. If more than one
computer has no problem reading the stick, then it's time to take a
closer look at your computer. Formatting the stick will destroy the
images though. You could possibly find someone who could coax the images
off the stick, so-called "disaster recovery", but it would cost you
beaucoup bucks. Up to you whether it's worth it.

What most likely happened? It may be the case that the stick got too
close to a powerful EM field and got partly degaussed (erased). There is
no helping it then but formatting it. As a good general rule, though,
with these sticks: never erase all the files, when you are ready to
clean it totally, reformat it. If your computer is pickier than your
camera, format it on the computer.

Sorry for the bad news. Good luck.

--
Hogtowner
dbknox

Re: How do I format the E Drive without erasing the data?

You could "upload" your pictures from the camera using the "usb" cable
that came with your camera. I very seldom rmove my memory stick from my
camera or any other machines, I am always afraid of "static" electrcity
from my hand. Many people do not realize how much voltage static
electricity can generate. ( albeit with low current).
Let us know how you make out.

--
dbknox
SCSIraidGURU

Re: How do I format the E Drive without erasing the data?

Some memory sticks come with recovery software.

--
SCSIraidGURU

Michael A. McKenney
'www.SCSIraidGURU.com' (http://www.SCSIraidGURU.com)

Supermicro X7DWA-N server board
pair of Intel E5430 quad core 2.66 GHz Xeons
16GB DDR667
SAS RAID
eVGA 8800 GTS 640 MB video card
roy69

Re: How do I format the E Drive without erasing the data?

If you can view the images on the camera then do as dbknox has said,
download them using a usb cable.

--
roy69

- Core 2 Quad Q6600
- Abit IP35 Pro
- 4 x 1GB OcUK PC2-6400 C5 800 MHZ Dual Channel
- Leadtek GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB GDDR3
- CiBox TFT 22" Widescreen LCD Panel. 1680 x 1050
- Creative X-Fi 7.1 PCI-E
- Antec 900 Ultimate Gaming Case
- Creative Inspire 7.1 T7900 Speakers
- Corsair HX 620W ATX2.2 Modular SLI Complient PSU