Movie Maker hangs when importing Video from DV camera

Muttley

Movie Maker hangs when importing Video from DV camera
I have a problem importing video from a Sony DV camera using an firewire cable.

When I plug my Sony DV (TRV11e) camera in using the ieee 1934 (firewire)
cable on playback to import DV, Vista pulls up the autoplay window and
import video option is available. However once the option is selected MM
hangs and the usual "what do you want to do" options don't appear. The
CaptureWizard.exe CPU process goes to 50% after about a minute in the task
manager, the MM program if opened won't close, nor can it be ended in task
manager either. The only way to shut down Movie Maker is to shut down the DV
camera and pull the firewire cable. Vista then gives the Windows Import Video
message that "The video device is currently in use. Close any other program
that is using the device and try again" (there are no other programs using
the device that I am aware of)

The same happens when the autoplay widow is closed and the Import from
digital video camera option is selected from within Movie Maker.

I used Movie Maker with this computer/camera/firewire cable a couple of
weeks ago and it worked great so this is a recent problem.

Clevo

Re: Movie Maker hangs when importing Video from DV camera

Muttley;776027 Wrote:
> I have a problem importing video from a Sony DV camera using an firewire
> cable.
>
> When I plug my Sony DV (TRV11e) camera in using the ieee 1934
> (firewire)
> cable on playback to import DV, Vista pulls up the autoplay window and
> import video option is available. However once the option is selected
> MM
> hangs and the usual "what do you want to do" options don't appear. The
> CaptureWizard.exe CPU process goes to 50% after about a minute in the
> task
> manager, the MM program if opened won't close, nor can it be ended in
> task
> manager either. The only way to shut down Movie Maker is to shut down
> the DV
> camera and pull the firewire cable. Vista then gives the Windows Import
> Video
> message that "The video device is currently in use. Close any other
> program
> that is using the device and try again" (there are no other programs
> using
> the device that I am aware of)
>
> The same happens when the autoplay widow is closed and the Import from
> digital video camera option is selected from within Movie Maker.
>
> I used Movie Maker with this computer/camera/firewire cable a couple of
> weeks ago and it worked great so this is a recent problem.
>
> Any help or advice would be appreciated.

I appreciate all the nice details you added to your question.

I'll try and help....

Usually with these things that worked a few weeks ago and don't now you
have to probably start looking at what has been installed in between the
two attempts.... sometimes codec packs, especially those free ones...are
the root of the problem sometimes it's just updating drivers.

If that sounds like something that could help you narrow down the
problems let us know how you go.

--
Clevo

___________________________
Windows Vista Home Premium x64 + SP1
ASUS P5K MB
Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4GHz
4GB RAM (DDR2)
NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GTS
Realtek HD onboard sound

Helpful links:
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...91033.mspx#EEE
Muttley

"Clevo" wrote:

> Muttley;776027 Wrote:
> > I have a problem importing video from a Sony DV camera using an firewire
> > cable.
> >
> > When I plug my Sony DV (TRV11e) camera in using the ieee 1934
> > (firewire)
> > cable on playback to import DV, Vista pulls up the autoplay window and
> > import video option is available. However once the option is selected
> > MM
> > hangs and the usual "what do you want to do" options don't appear. The
> > CaptureWizard.exe CPU process goes to 50% after about a minute in the
> > task
> > manager, the MM program if opened won't close, nor can it be ended in
> > task
> > manager either. The only way to shut down Movie Maker is to shut down
> > the DV
> > camera and pull the firewire cable. Vista then gives the Windows Import
> > Video
> > message that "The video device is currently in use. Close any other
> > program
> > that is using the device and try again" (there are no other programs
> > using
> > the device that I am aware of)
> >
> > The same happens when the autoplay widow is closed and the Import from
> > digital video camera option is selected from within Movie Maker.
> >
> > I used Movie Maker with this computer/camera/firewire cable a couple of
> > weeks ago and it worked great so this is a recent problem.
> >
> > Any help or advice would be appreciated.

> I appreciate all the nice details you added to your question.
>
> I'll try and help....
>
> Usually with these things that worked a few weeks ago and don't now you
> have to probably start looking at what has been installed in between the
> two attempts.... sometimes codec packs, especially those free ones...are
> the root of the problem sometimes it's just updating drivers.
>
> If that sounds like something that could help you narrow down the
> problems let us know how you go.
>

> --
> Clevo
>
> ___________________________
> Windows Vista Home Premium x64 + SP1
> ASUS P5K MB
> Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4GHz
> 4GB RAM (DDR2)
> NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GTS
> Realtek HD onboard sound
>
> Helpful links:
> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...91033.mspx#EEE

Thanks Clevo,

I will have a look for the driver and let you know how it goes.

Clevo

Re: Movie Maker hangs when importing Video from DV camera

I meant at sometime in between when it worked AND when it didn;t you
have changed something to your system....eg adding a codec pack,
drivers, new software etc etc

Can you remember if you did any of these things and if so...tell us so
we can pin point a potential system altering problem

Muttley;777553 Wrote:

> > > firewire

> > > and
> > > selected
> > > The
> > > the
> > > in
> > > down
> > > Import
> > > programs

> > > from

> > > couple of

> > > I appreciate all the nice details you added to your question.
> > >
> > > I'll try and help....
> > >
> > > Usually with these things that worked a few weeks ago and don't

> > now you
> > > have to probably start looking at what has been installed in

> > between the
> > > two attempts.... sometimes codec packs, especially those free

> > ones...are
> > > the root of the problem sometimes it's just updating drivers.
> > >
> > > If that sounds like something that could help you narrow down the
> > > problems let us know how you go.
> > >

> > > --
> > > Clevo
> > >
> > > ___________________________
> > > Windows Vista Home Premium x64 + SP1
> > > ASUS P5K MB
> > > Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4GHz
> > > 4GB RAM (DDR2)
> > > NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GTS
> > > Realtek HD onboard sound
> > >
> > > Helpful links:
> > > 'Windows Vista Help: Codecs: frequently asked questions'

> > (http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...91033.mspx#EEE)
> > > > >

> Thanks Clevo,
>
> I will have a look for the driver and let you know how it goes.

--
Clevo

___________________________
Windows Vista Home Premium x64 + SP1
ASUS P5K MB
Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4GHz
4GB RAM (DDR2)
NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GTS
Realtek HD onboard sound

Helpful links:
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...91033.mspx#EEE
Muttley

Re: Movie Maker hangs when importing Video from DV camera

Hi Clevo,

Thanks for your help. Yes I installed a trial version of Nero 8 and a
digital TV program but it seems that the problem is either the firewire port
or the firewire cable. I tried another DV Camera which I could queue but
would not import video. I then tried another firewire card and cable and it's
now working. That explains why there was no codec error but because it was
only half broken the problem was a bit harder to diagnose.

Cheers,

"Clevo" wrote:

> I meant at sometime in between when it worked AND when it didn;t you
> have changed something to your system....eg adding a codec pack,
> drivers, new software etc etc
>
> Can you remember if you did any of these things and if so...tell us so
> we can pin point a potential system altering problem
>
> Muttley;777553 Wrote:

> > > now you
> > > between the
> > > ones...are

> > > (http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...91033.mspx#EEE)
> > > > > >

> > Thanks Clevo,
> >
> > I will have a look for the driver and let you know how it goes.

> --
> Clevo
>
> ___________________________
> Windows Vista Home Premium x64 + SP1
> ASUS P5K MB
> Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4GHz
> 4GB RAM (DDR2)
> NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GTS
> Realtek HD onboard sound
>
> Helpful links:
> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...91033.mspx#EEE

dr_nads

RE: Movie Maker hangs when importing Video from DV camera
I have exactly the same problem; it hangs on import and only way of shutting
down MM is by pulling out cable. I'm using Sony DV (DVR-PC108E) with IEEE
DV/Firewire cable on Vista Premium. Only difference is that I've never been
able to import using Vista.