can't see SD card?

nlklima

can't see SD card?
Hi, I have an SD card slot, but when I insert an SD card, I can't seem to
find anyway to access that. Help!
JerryM

Re: can't see SD card?
Go to Computer management and select device manager to see if the
sd slot is activated.

"nlklima" <nlklima@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, I have an SD card slot, but when I insert an SD card, I can't seem to
> find anyway to access that. Help!

dbknox

Re: can't see SD card?

nlklima;771654 Wrote:
> Hi, I have an SD card slot, but when I insert an SD card, I can't seem
> find anyway to access that. Help!

Hi *nlklima* memory cards can be a pain. With vista the first thing I
did was create a shortcut to my "computer" on the desktop, in case you
don't know how you can do this click on the " start" button bottom left
and scroll to "computer" ( it's the 8th one down on the right of the
"selections", on my computer) right click on it and select "show on
desktop" ( I think it is handy on the desktop, anytime you want to
explore a disk/card slot you just click on the shortcut) if you don't
wish to do that then click on computer and see if your memory cards are
listed, if so click on the memory card device ( you should see it as a
hard disk saying something along the lines of what ever the sd card is
used for such as hp camera etc.) If it shows nothing then check in the
device manager as *JerryM* said by right clicking on "computer" and
scroll to "manage" device manager will be the 5th choice under "system
tools" in the window that opens. Hopefully you will see your device ,
when you click on "drivers" generic usb sd reader usb dvice etc."
Let us know how you make out.

--
dbknox
Freddy

Re: can't see SD card?
> Hi, I have an SD card slot, but when I insert an SD card, I can't seem to
> find anyway to access that. Help!

Hi,

You don't offer much info, but I will be a sport, and do a wild guess.
It might be an old reader only able to read SD up to 2Gb, and Your card
is say 4 Gb SDHC card ?
If so, You need a SDHC reader.

:-) Freddy

nlklima

RE: can't see SD card?
Thanks for the responses, I realize the info I gave was a bit sparse. Sorry
about that. I have an inspiron 1720 laptop from dell. I am trying to view
photos off a 128 mb sd card. Through the device manager (thanks!) I found
the sd host adapter and opened the 'sda standard compliant sd host
controller', which says it is functioning properly. Hmmm... not sure what to
do now. Why can't I see it to open it? Thanks for the help so far...

"nlklima" wrote:

> Hi, I have an SD card slot, but when I insert an SD card, I can't seem to
> find anyway to access that. Help!

Freddy

Re: can't see SD card?
> Thanks for the responses, I realize the info I gave was a bit sparse. Sorry
> about that. I have an inspiron 1720 laptop from dell. I am trying to view
> photos off a 128 mb sd card. Through the device manager (thanks!) I found
> the sd host adapter and opened the 'sda standard compliant sd host
> controller', which says it is functioning properly. Hmmm... not sure what to
> do now. Why can't I see it to open it? Thanks for the help so far...
>
> "nlklima" wrote:
>
>> Hi, I have an SD card slot, but when I insert an SD card, I can't seem to
>> find anyway to access that. Help!

Hi,

I suppose it's time for some debugging..
Can you read the SD card in a camera (show pictures) ?
Do You have another SD ? Is it possible to handle that SD in the PC ?
Do you have another reader (for USB) ? Can that reader read the SD ?

:-) Freddy

dbknox

Re: can't see SD card?

nlklima;772804 Wrote:
> Thanks for the responses, I realize the info I gave was a bit sparse.
> Sorry
> about that. I have an inspiron 1720 laptop from dell. I am trying to
> view
> photos off a 128 mb sd card. Through the device manager (thanks!) I
> found
> the sd host adapter and opened the 'sda standard compliant sd host
> controller', which says it is functioning properly. Hmmm... not sure
> what to
> do now. Why can't I see it to open it? Thanks for the help so far...
>
> "nlklima" wrote:
> > > >
> > > Hi, I have an SD card slot, but when I insert an SD card, I can't

> > seem to
> > > find anyway to access that. Help! > >

Do you see the SD card when you open "computer" along with the other
drives? How about if you plug your camera into the computer does it read
from the SD card?

--
dbknox
nlklima

Re: can't see SD card?
thanks to you both - with our desktop I have always used the kodak docking
station to pull the pics off the camera. I was hoping to be able to just put
the pics from the card (ie: on vacation when the card gets full, etc...) onto
my laptop. So, I investigated and found the cord from the docking station
fits into the side of my camera so I used that to connect to the laptop - it
did recognize the camera right away - so I will sve the frustrating issues of
the sd slot for another time and just remember to take the darn cord with me
(or just buy a 2nd to have in the bag!)
Thanks for the help though - it got me going in the right direction at least.
Laura

"dbknox" wrote:

> nlklima;772804 Wrote:
> > Thanks for the responses, I realize the info I gave was a bit sparse.
> > Sorry
> > about that. I have an inspiron 1720 laptop from dell. I am trying to
> > view
> > photos off a 128 mb sd card. Through the device manager (thanks!) I
> > found
> > the sd host adapter and opened the 'sda standard compliant sd host
> > controller', which says it is functioning properly. Hmmm... not sure
> > what to
> > do now. Why can't I see it to open it? Thanks for the help so far...

> > > seem to

> Do you see the SD card when you open "computer" along with the other
> drives? How about if you plug your camera into the computer does it read
> from the SD card?
>

> --
> dbknox

dbknox

Re: can't see SD card?

I am glad that using the plug to the camera at least worked for you
*Laura*
I very seldom take my SD card out of my camera,I worked on Digital
equipment for years and we were always taught how dangerous "static
current" can be to the cards we used so I try not to touch any thing
unless I am working at a grounded work station. I always plug in the usb
cable from the camera to my PC and "upload" my pictures that way. I was
trying to remember if I had even tried my memory card slots on this
computer, I had to think a bit to remember that I had tried a SD card
and it did work. 128 meg SD card is quite small by todays standards. The
SD cards have really dropped in price, I paid around $20.00 for a 2 gig
SD card. If I where you I would invest in a bigger card. ( or 2) SD
cards are very common and used on a lot of different types of equipment
so I don't think you will be wasting money).
Another thing that might be interesting is to try your SD card in a
friends computer and see if it works, this might ( or might not give you
some insight to the problem).

--
dbknox