Movie Maker: Death and Eternity!

Lizaard

Movie Maker: Death and Eternity!
In the earlier version of MM, the program crashes when I move a file to the
timeline. In the latest version (2.1...something I think?) it reads a 24
minute clip as 18 hours!! What's causing this and how can I fix it? (Have run
Spy Sweeper and Trend Micro, cleaned up disk, deleted unused programs and
recent downloads, and restored computer. BTW, Internet Explorer also crashed
each time I use it)

PapaJohn

Re: Movie Maker: Death and Eternity!
Chances are you're trying to use files of a type that Movie Maker doesn't
get along with.... like MPEG-2, MPEG-4, Divx, Xvid.... and others. Such
files need conversions before importing.

PapaJohn (MVP)

"Lizaard" <Lizaard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> In the earlier version of MM, the program crashes when I move a file to
> the
> timeline. In the latest version (2.1...something I think?) it reads a 24
> minute clip as 18 hours!! What's causing this and how can I fix it? (Have
> run
> Spy Sweeper and Trend Micro, cleaned up disk, deleted unused programs and
> recent downloads, and restored computer. BTW, Internet Explorer also
> crashed
> each time I use it)

Lizaard

Re: Movie Maker: Death and Eternity!
Thank you, PapaJohn! Neglected to mention that I converted them to mpeg, avi,
and wmv, all with same results as previously mentioned. In addition, mpeg
and avi conversion (using Prism) un-syncs the audio from the video by a whole
1.5 seconds. The wmv conversion is so grainy and the audio so distorted as to
be virtually useless. Perhaps my Prism converter is the culprit? If so, can
you recommend a reputable and reliable one? Many thanks!

"PapaJohn" wrote:

> Chances are you're trying to use files of a type that Movie Maker doesn't
> get along with.... like MPEG-2, MPEG-4, Divx, Xvid.... and others. Such
> files need conversions before importing.
>
> --
> website references are to www.papajohn.org
>
> PapaJohn (MVP)
>

> "Lizaard" <Lizaard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > In the earlier version of MM, the program crashes when I move a file to
> > the
> > timeline. In the latest version (2.1...something I think?) it reads a 24
> > minute clip as 18 hours!! What's causing this and how can I fix it? (Have
> > run
> > Spy Sweeper and Trend Micro, cleaned up disk, deleted unused programs and
> > recent downloads, and restored computer. BTW, Internet Explorer also
> > crashed
> > each time I use it)

PapaJohn

Re: Movie Maker: Death and Eternity!
I hadn't heard of the Prism converter so I just downloaded and checked it a
little, but not enough check the conversion quality. Yes, conversion results
will vary with the converter, the codecs used, and the settings for each
conversion.

My comments about conversion software are on the pages of my website's
Import Movie Source Files > Video pages. It varies with the file type.