Media Player 11 override default codec

Mark Blain

Media Player 11 override default codec
I've installed FFDShow (http://ffdshow-tryout.sourceforge.net/) in MS
Windows Vista Home Premium and set it as my default codec for mp3 audio
files. Other media playing programs honor that setting, but Windows Media
Player 11 ignores it and uses a built-in codec when playing .mp3 files.

Interestingly, when playing .avi files including mp3 audio, WMP 11 does use
ffdshow's audio codec.

Why is WMP 11 ignoring the codec merit settings, which are designed into
the operating system to choose which codec is preferred? Is there a way to
override this behavior?
zachd [MSFT]

Re: Media Player 11 override default codec

Probably because you're dealing with Media Foundation as opposed to
DirectShow (as opposed to Windows Media Format SDK). Beyond that, there are
certainly times when applications will forcibly use their own filter to
guarantee stability.

I pretty much guarantee you, that due to some pretty pathetic third party
filters out there, applications will be pickier about which filters they
allow in the future. The Wild West DirectShow Filter world that certain
beta codecs are encouraging isn't tenable long-term for the user. =\

-Zach
--
Speaking for myself only.
"Mark Blain" <mblain2@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I've installed FFDShow (http://ffdshow-tryout.sourceforge.net/) in MS
> Windows Vista Home Premium and set it as my default codec for mp3 audio
> files. Other media playing programs honor that setting, but Windows Media
> Player 11 ignores it and uses a built-in codec when playing .mp3 files.
>
> Interestingly, when playing .avi files including mp3 audio, WMP 11 does
> use
> ffdshow's audio codec.
>
> Why is WMP 11 ignoring the codec merit settings, which are designed into
> the operating system to choose which codec is preferred? Is there a way
> override this behavior?

Mark Blain

Re: Media Player 11 override default codec
"zachd [MSFT]" <zachd@nomailplz.online.microsoft.com> wrote in

> Probably because you're dealing with Media Foundation as opposed to
> DirectShow (as opposed to Windows Media Format SDK). Beyond that,
> there are certainly times when applications will forcibly use their
> own filter to guarantee stability.
>
> I pretty much guarantee you, that due to some pretty pathetic third
> party filters out there, applications will be pickier about which
> filters they allow in the future. The Wild West DirectShow Filter
> world that certain beta codecs are encouraging isn't tenable long-term
> for the user. =\

Thanks. I appreciate your warnings and I'll read up on Media
Foundation, but if WMP11 doesn't allow me to choose the decoder I
prefer, I will (reluctantly) use a third-party player that does.