Vista, WMP 11, Sound but no video, not codec problem. Pic included

Socomwiz

Vista, WMP 11, Sound but no video, not codec problem. Pic included
I'm not sure how this happened as I've been running a smooth machine and WMP
worked fine by itself and in web browsers. I'm running Vista 32bit and have
always used the included WMP 11.

The problem is all I get is a blank screen, shown here with the white
backround and the black box of any video of any file type I play using WMP 11
for example please view my screenshot:

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/9696/80752975vt1.jpg

here is another screen shot of a different file showing same thing but
different file and size of the video:

http://img58.imageshack.us/img58/8771/11xk0.jpg

Again, I can hear sound just fine but video seems to be turned off in WMP
11. I've been trying and trying and hoping that there is something simple I'm
overlooking here to get it working again. This problem affects web players
and programs that use WMP as well so if I can fix WMP, the other programs
should be restored to normal.

It's really fustrating trying to find help, hope I've found the right place.
Can provide any more info if needed, just ask. Thanks if you can help!
Socomwiz

RE: Vista, WMP 11, Sound but no video, not codec problem. Pic included
Anyone know how I can fix this? Help with restoring settings or downgrading?
Anything?
zachd [MSFT]

Re: Vista, WMP 11, Sound but no video, not codec problem. Pic included

If it's affecting all file types, this is a video card driver issue. What
video card do you have?

--
Speaking for myself only.
"Socomwiz" <Socomwiz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm not sure how this happened as I've been running a smooth machine and
> WMP
> worked fine by itself and in web browsers. I'm running Vista 32bit and
> have
> always used the included WMP 11.
>
> The problem is all I get is a blank screen, shown here with the white
> backround and the black box of any video of any file type I play using WMP
> 11
> for example please view my screenshot:
>
> http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/9696/80752975vt1.jpg
>
> here is another screen shot of a different file showing same thing but
> different file and size of the video:
>
> http://img58.imageshack.us/img58/8771/11xk0.jpg
>
> Again, I can hear sound just fine but video seems to be turned off in WMP
> 11. I've been trying and trying and hoping that there is something simple
> I'm
> overlooking here to get it working again. This problem affects web players
> and programs that use WMP as well so if I can fix WMP, the other programs
> should be restored to normal.
>
> It's really fustrating trying to find help, hope I've found the right
> place.
> Can provide any more info if needed, just ask. Thanks if you can help!

Socomwiz

Re: Vista, WMP 11, Sound but no video, not codec problem. Pic incl
I've been running a XFX 8800GT with Omega Drivers 1.169.25

I came back to this site to post this info on another site and found a reply
(thanks for that). For some reason now I think it has to do with the MPEG-2
decoder as I get the same issue with WinDVD player. Everything plays fine in
VLC so I have my doubts about pointing the finger at the video card just yet.
I feel it's software side somewhere...

"zachd [MSFT]" wrote:

> If it's affecting all file types, this is a video card driver issue. What
> video card do you have?
>
> --
> Speaking for myself only.

zachd [MSFT]

Re: Vista, WMP 11, Sound but no video, not codec problem. Pic incl

VLC very much access the video card differently.

A really great example is this is WMP10 ... 4363 and 4364 (I don't recall
the exact versions, but it was before/after the WMV hardware acceleration
QFE) where just ONE line of code moved down after ONE other line of code,
and yet it exposed tons of broken video card drivers that only worked if the
unrelated calls were made in one certain order. That was even with the same
player - once you change players at all, it's kind of apples to oranges
comparison. =)

--
> I've been running a XFX 8800GT with Omega Drivers 1.169.25
>
> I came back to this site to post this info on another site and found a
> reply
> (thanks for that). For some reason now I think it has to do with the
> MPEG-2
> decoder as I get the same issue with WinDVD player. Everything plays fine
> in
> VLC so I have my doubts about pointing the finger at the video card just
> yet.
> I feel it's software side somewhere...
>
> "zachd [MSFT]" wrote:
>

>> If it's affecting all file types, this is a video card driver issue.
>> What
>> video card do you have?
>>
>> --
>> Speaking for myself only.
>> rights.

mac0750 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i had the same problem just a few days ago it was really annoying and then i thought about the drivers. the following is for vista home premium 32-bit:

Control Panel - Hardware and Sound - device manager.

my video card is radeon x1650 se yours most certainly will be different but either way it will be found under "display adapters" right click on your video card and head to properties, select the driver tab and select update driver, generally requires internet access but if you don't have a connection select roll back driver to revert to your previous driver setting. although whille writtingthis post i'm following my "loose" instruction and the roll back driver option is not an option so you may need a connection first........ i hope this helps. it did for me.

if you are having the same problems with windows media centre whilst trying to watch tv then do the same but instaed selecting your video card select your tv card which will be found under "sound,video and game controllers"