Trapped in Windows Media Player

Larry S.

Trapped in Windows Media Player
I've just started copying some audio files from CD to mp3 to burn on a disk.
I'm using Nero to copy the files. The problem is when I first put the CD in,
Windows Media Player comes up and starts playing it. I wouldn't mind this,
but when I try to close the program I find that my mouse doesn't work and
trying to navigate around the screen to go to the "X" to close won't work
either. Neither will the escape key. In order to close Media Player, I had
to go into Windows Task Manager and shut the application, although I have had
some success in getting the mouse to work by pressing the Windows key. Any
ideas about what is going on here, and more importantly, how to get this
program to respond to my mouse and keyboard, and to let me shut it down?
Interestingly enough, this only happens when I put in a CD. If I click on
and mp3 file, I get a different Windows Media screen, and that one seems to
work as a normal window, including being able to be shut down without any
problem.
--
Larry S
John Inzer

Re: Trapped in Windows Media Player
Larry S. wrote:
> I've just started copying some audio files from CD to mp3 to burn on
> a disk. I'm using Nero to copy the files. The problem is when I
> first put the CD in, Windows Media Player comes up and starts playing
> it. I wouldn't mind this, but when I try to close the program I find
> that my mouse doesn't work and trying to navigate around the screen
> to go to the "X" to close won't work either. Neither will the escape
> key. In order to close Media Player, I had to go into Windows Task
> Manager and shut the application, although I have had some success in
> getting the mouse to work by pressing the Windows key. Any ideas
> about what is going on here, and more importantly, how to get this
> program to respond to my mouse and keyboard, and to let me shut it
> down? Interestingly enough, this only happens when I put in a CD. If
> I click on and mp3 file, I get a different Windows Media screen, and
> that one seems to work as a normal window, including being able to be
> shut down without any problem.

==============================
Maybe the following articles will offer
some ideas:

Windows Vista - Play an audio or
video file: frequently asked questions
http://tinyurl.com/5mpz8u
or...
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...84e191033.mspx

Windows Vista -
Troubleshoot problems in
Windows Media Player
http://tinyurl.com/25ys45
or...
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...16d5c1033.mspx

Have you tried using WMP to RIP your
CDs and also to burn Audio CDs?

Windows Vista -
Rip music from a CD
http://tinyurl.com/2jfc3y
or...
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...531033.mspx#EP

Windows Media Player 11 for Windows Vista
Burn Your Own Customized Audio CDs
http://tinyurl.com/3yznpz
or...
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...1_wv/burn.aspx

--

John Inzer

Larry S.

Re: Trapped in Windows Media Player
Hi John,

Thanks for your quick reply. After I sent the email, I realized I had
misstated something. The problem wasn't with Windows Media Player, it was
with Windows Media Center. The "other" screen I was getting when I clicked
on an mp3 file was Media Player, and that works OK. The default action was
Media Center, and that was where I couldn't navigate and had difficulty
getting out. I've changed the defaults, but do you have any feedback about
Media Center? What might be going on that it is so difficult to navigate?
Is there any way to get it to function correctly, or is it just a really bad
program?

Thanks.
--
Larry S