MPG file weirdness

J. Keith Jackson

MPG file weirdness
At some point, my system started having problems with .MPG and .MPEG files.
DreamScene "stumbles". The video plays normal for about 2 seconds, then
speeds up, then OK for 2 seconds, then speeds up, on and on.

Dreamscene videos play fine in WMP and other players. As for other MPG/MPEG
files:

1. Some videos play too fast in WMP, some play fine.
2. Some videos play too fast in GSpot, some play fine.
3. Some videos play too fast in QuickPlay, some play fine.
4. Some videos play too fast in Windows Media Center, some play fine.
5. There's no consistency; some videos play fast in one player and fine in
another. I can find no pattern.
6. All seem to play fine in VLC.

AVI's and such aren't affected, only MPG/MPEG.

HP Pavilion Laptop, factory installed with Vista Home Premium, upgraded to
Ultimate. More than capable hardware-wise to use DreamScene. Problems did
not start until several months after the upgrade, and were not corrected
with SP1.
I'm guessing a codec problem, but I don't see any consistency with the video
specs, different bit rates, different sizes, different sources, etc.

Anyone else encountered this in Vista?

THX

Clevo

Re: MPG file weirdness

It could very well be a codec issue but I hesitate to suggest installing
codec packs as they tend to cause more problems than solve.

If by chance you installed a codec pack I suggest uninstalling it for
now and see if that resolves issues.

Also, you don;t mention the source of the video files you are having
issues with. I feel this infprmation is pertinent

--
Clevo

___________________________
Windows Vista Home Premium x64 + SP1
ASUS P5K MB
Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4GHz
4GB RAM (DDR2)
NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GTS
Realtek HD onboard sound

Helpful links:
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...91033.mspx#EEE
J. Keith Jackson

Re: MPG file weirdness
Thanks for replying...

The sources are varied, for instance the DreamScene videos which play
correctly in WMP but not when applied to the Desktop. Other videos are
downloaded from various sites around the net. No, not those kind of
sites.:~)

After reading your question about codec packs, it jogged my memory. Awhile
back I ran into a couple of videos that didn't play correctly in that there
was no sound. I may have tried a couple of codec packs, but I don't see
anything listed in "Programs and Features". I'll have to dig a little
deeper.

Thanks.