Windows Media Player 11 Crashes all the time

clevelandbrowns

Windows Media Player 11 Crashes all the time

As soon as it opens, it crashes. I uninstalled Nero, which I have read
can cause issues, although it was installed and working at one time.

OS is Vista Business

Here is the report.

*problem signature
*problem event name: appcrash
application name: wmplayer.exe
application version: 11.0.6001.7000
application timestamp: 47919356
fault module name: indiv01.key
fault module version: 11.0.6000.7000
fault module timestamp: 474dd894
exception code: c0000005
exception offset: 000ac4a2
os version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.6
locale id: 1033
additional information 1: d17f
additional information 2: c9f2c626cd78e22786252c6b26cf7d75
additional information 3: a78e
additional information 4: e21c871db264481f18b831c48fe59e6d

--
clevelandbrowns
zachd [MSFT]

Re: Windows Media Player 11 Crashes all the time

This one's easy to fix - reset your DRM cache files:
* http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html#indiv
has a link to the relevant KB.

--
Speaking for myself only.
"clevelandbrowns" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> As soon as it opens, it crashes. I uninstalled Nero, which I have read
> can cause issues, although it was installed and working at one time.
>
> OS is Vista Business
>
> Here is the report.
>
> *problem signature
> *problem event name: appcrash
> application name: wmplayer.exe
> application version: 11.0.6001.7000
> application timestamp: 47919356
> fault module name: indiv01.key
> fault module version: 11.0.6000.7000
> fault module timestamp: 474dd894
> exception code: c0000005
> exception offset: 000ac4a2
> os version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.6
> locale id: 1033
> additional information 1: d17f
> additional information 2: c9f2c626cd78e22786252c6b26cf7d75
> additional information 3: a78e
> additional information 4: e21c871db264481f18b831c48fe59e6d
>

> --
> clevelandbrowns

clevelandbrowns

Re: Windows Media Player 11 Crashes all the time

THANKS! I deleted the files in the DRM folder like it specified and all
is well.

How can you tell that was the problem from the report? I didn't see
anything in there that mentioned DRM by name.

Again, thanks.

Sam

--
clevelandbrowns
zachd [MSFT]

Re: Windows Media Player 11 Crashes all the time

The IndivKey data there is what gives it away. That's a DRM file. =)

--

> THANKS! I deleted the files in the DRM folder like it specified and all
> is well.
>
> How can you tell that was the problem from the report? I didn't see
> anything in there that mentioned DRM by name.
>
> Again, thanks.
>
> Sam
>

> --
> clevelandbrowns

clevelandbrowns

Re: Windows Media Player 11 Crashes all the time

Wow.

I can only imagine the mounds of problems you've dealt with to come to
the level of knowledge and information that would allow you to know and
remember that.

--
clevelandbrowns
zachd [MSFT]

Re: Windows Media Player 11 Crashes all the time

As a follow-up:
How exactly did you get into this state? The more precise data the better.
I don't know if we're able to reproduce the crash you're getting, so I would
love to be able to get that data to a friend.

-Zach
--

> Wow.
>
> I can only imagine the mounds of problems you've dealt with to come to
> the level of knowledge and information that would allow you to know and
> remember that.
>

> --
> clevelandbrowns

clevelandbrowns

Re: Windows Media Player 11 Crashes all the time

I'm not entirely certain that I can give you all the information you
need.

Here is what I do know for certain:

I downloaded some MP3 files from my public library that needed a
proprietary app to allow the DRM licences. I don't know what the
software was called, and I'm at home while the machine we're talking of
is at work. I'll be on vacation starting tonight for about 8 days. But,
if you want to look it up, I got it from cuyahogalibrary.org

I had the mp3 files on my computer desktop, and I assume that the
licenses expired without me actually doing anything. They lasted 3 weeks
I believe. The files were still there, but with expired licences.

At some point after that, WMP11 just stopped working completely. I
don't know if it was right after the licenses expired, or after the
expired AND I installed some other software that broke the camel's back,
so to speak.

I'm sorry I can't be more specific, but that's all I have for you.

I hope this helps,

sam

--
clevelandbrowns
zachd [MSFT]

Re: Windows Media Player 11 Crashes all the time

That's probably not enough to let me reproduce the crash (it looks like
there was some bad magic there that I'd like to figure out still), but it's
still very helpful data: thank you.