JVC camcorder files

cilge

JVC camcorder files
Hi I have a new PC with Windows Vista Home Premium. I also have a new JVC
everio GZ MG 330 camcorder. This came with its own software for downloading
from the camera, editing, and supposedly creating DVDs.
I have downloaded and edited my clips into a movie but it refuses to burn
onto DVD. I am chasing this up with the software people.

However my question is, when I tried to use Movie Maker instead, ie to
import the clips and edit them, the programme crashed out after starting the
process. I understand that JVC have used a file extension .mod (a version of
Mpeg2 ?) which Movie Maker doesn't apparently support. It imports them OK,
but then doesn't want to play.

Is Microsoft planning to include an update to allow this "new" type of file
to be used by Movie Maker? Or is there some method of converting the files to
a more normal type. I can't get JVC's software to save them as either avi or
mpeg.

This type of camera seems to be popular at the moment so I may not be alone
here, any help gratefully received thanks
PapaJohn

Re: JVC camcorder files
check my website's Import Movie Source Files > Video > MOD page

they are MPEG2 files and need conversion to something Movie Maker can
handle.

PapaJohn (MVP)

"cilge" <cilge@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi I have a new PC with Windows Vista Home Premium. I also have a new JVC
> everio GZ MG 330 camcorder. This came with its own software for
> downloading
> from the camera, editing, and supposedly creating DVDs.
> I have downloaded and edited my clips into a movie but it refuses to burn
> onto DVD. I am chasing this up with the software people.
>
> However my question is, when I tried to use Movie Maker instead, ie to
> import the clips and edit them, the programme crashed out after starting
> the
> process. I understand that JVC have used a file extension .mod (a version
> of
> Mpeg2 ?) which Movie Maker doesn't apparently support. It imports them OK,
> but then doesn't want to play.
>
> Is Microsoft planning to include an update to allow this "new" type of
> file
> to be used by Movie Maker? Or is there some method of converting the files
> a more normal type. I can't get JVC's software to save them as either avi
> or
> mpeg.
>
> This type of camera seems to be popular at the moment so I may not be
> alone
> here, any help gratefully received thanks

JW

Re: JVC camcorder files
Have you tried just changing the file suffix to .mpg?
"cilge" <cilge@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi I have a new PC with Windows Vista Home Premium. I also have a new JVC
> everio GZ MG 330 camcorder. This came with its own software for
> downloading
> from the camera, editing, and supposedly creating DVDs.
> I have downloaded and edited my clips into a movie but it refuses to burn
> onto DVD. I am chasing this up with the software people.
>
> However my question is, when I tried to use Movie Maker instead, ie to
> import the clips and edit them, the programme crashed out after starting
> the
> process. I understand that JVC have used a file extension .mod (a version
> of
> Mpeg2 ?) which Movie Maker doesn't apparently support. It imports them OK,
> but then doesn't want to play.
>
> Is Microsoft planning to include an update to allow this "new" type of
> file
> to be used by Movie Maker? Or is there some method of converting the files
> a more normal type. I can't get JVC's software to save them as either avi
> or
> mpeg.
>
> This type of camera seems to be popular at the moment so I may not be
> alone
> here, any help gratefully received thanks

zachd [MSFT]

Re: JVC camcorder files

What are the crash details for the crash you got according to the Problem
Reports and Solutions Center control panel?
http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html#bucket
has how to look that up if you don't know how.

--
Speaking for myself only.