burning a data DVD

maya

burning a data DVD
hi,

I'm on windows ultimate.. I need to burn a DATA DVD.. for some reason
this is proving a challenge.. you can't do it w/WMC, as it doesn't
afford possibility of browsing to folders you want to burn..

my roxio 10 isn't letting me do it either (when I go to "Data and
Backup" I get to a window where under "Data Disc" it says, "Easily
create and bun a data CD or DVD or save a disc image to your hard
drive"... so I click on this "Data Disc" link, choose folder, click on
yellow button at bottom right ("click this button to continue") but it
just hangs.. nothing happens.. (and yes I do have a blank DVD loaded in
the drive...)

just downloaded a trial version of nero.. same thing, you can do all
sorts of fancy stuff, like burn music DVD's, movies, video, do fancy
menus, slideshows, etc.. but I want none of that, I just want to burn a
bunch of JPG's to a DVD (A LOT of them actually, only reason need to
burn them on a DVD instead of a regular data CD is that it's so many
images that I would have to burn about four CD's to burn all the images
I want to burn..)

I just want a DATA DVD that when user inserts it in the machine they can
browse the files... but this is proving a bit difficult, which is a
bit strange, I mean this is a very simple thing.. how can I do this..

thank you..

Bob

Re: burning a data DVD
Have you tried "copy and paste"?

"maya" <maya778899@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:z9CdncFMnN3CGsDVnZ2dnUVZ_jSdnZ2d@giganews.com ...
> hi,
>
> I'm on windows ultimate.. I need to burn a DATA DVD.. for some reason
> this is proving a challenge.. you can't do it w/WMC, as it doesn't
> afford possibility of browsing to folders you want to burn..
>
> my roxio 10 isn't letting me do it either (when I go to "Data and
> Backup" I get to a window where under "Data Disc" it says, "Easily
> create and bun a data CD or DVD or save a disc image to your hard
> drive"... so I click on this "Data Disc" link, choose folder, click on
> yellow button at bottom right ("click this button to continue") but it
> just hangs.. nothing happens.. (and yes I do have a blank DVD loaded in
> the drive...)
>
> just downloaded a trial version of nero.. same thing, you can do all
> sorts of fancy stuff, like burn music DVD's, movies, video, do fancy
> menus, slideshows, etc.. but I want none of that, I just want to burn a
> bunch of JPG's to a DVD (A LOT of them actually, only reason need to
> burn them on a DVD instead of a regular data CD is that it's so many
> images that I would have to burn about four CD's to burn all the images
> I want to burn..)
>
> I just want a DATA DVD that when user inserts it in the machine they can
> browse the files... but this is proving a bit difficult, which is a
> bit strange, I mean this is a very simple thing.. how can I do this..
>
> thank you..

maya

Re: burning a data DVD
Bob wrote:
> Have you tried "copy and paste"?
>
> "maya" <maya778899@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:z9CdncFMnN3CGsDVnZ2dnUVZ_jSdnZ2d@giganews.com ...
>> hi,
>>
>> I'm on windows ultimate.. I need to burn a DATA DVD.. for some reason
>> this is proving a challenge.. you can't do it w/WMC, as it doesn't
>> afford possibility of browsing to folders you want to burn..
>>
>> my roxio 10 isn't letting me do it either (when I go to "Data and
>> Backup" I get to a window where under "Data Disc" it says, "Easily
>> create and bun a data CD or DVD or save a disc image to your hard
>> drive"... so I click on this "Data Disc" link, choose folder, click on
>> yellow button at bottom right ("click this button to continue") but it
>> just hangs.. nothing happens.. (and yes I do have a blank DVD loaded in
>> the drive...)
>>
>> just downloaded a trial version of nero.. same thing, you can do all
>> sorts of fancy stuff, like burn music DVD's, movies, video, do fancy
>> menus, slideshows, etc.. but I want none of that, I just want to burn a
>> bunch of JPG's to a DVD (A LOT of them actually, only reason need to
>> burn them on a DVD instead of a regular data CD is that it's so many
>> images that I would have to burn about four CD's to burn all the images
>> I want to burn..)
>>
>> I just want a DATA DVD that when user inserts it in the machine they can
>> browse the files... but this is proving a bit difficult, which is a
>> bit strange, I mean this is a very simple thing.. how can I do this..
>>
>> thank you..

yep, if I try to drag (or paste) files into the DVD it says it has to be
formatted, I click yes, then it asks me for CD name, then I see the
"calculating time.." thingie.... but after a little while get another
alert that says the disc can't be formatted..

thank you...

maya

Re: burning a data DVD
Bob wrote:
> Have you tried "copy and paste"?
>
> "maya" <maya778899@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:z9CdncFMnN3CGsDVnZ2dnUVZ_jSdnZ2d@giganews.com ...
>> hi,
>>
>> I'm on windows ultimate.. I need to burn a DATA DVD.. for some reason
>> this is proving a challenge.. you can't do it w/WMC, as it doesn't
>> afford possibility of browsing to folders you want to burn..
>>
>> my roxio 10 isn't letting me do it either (when I go to "Data and
>> Backup" I get to a window where under "Data Disc" it says, "Easily
>> create and bun a data CD or DVD or save a disc image to your hard
>> drive"... so I click on this "Data Disc" link, choose folder, click on
>> yellow button at bottom right ("click this button to continue") but it
>> just hangs.. nothing happens.. (and yes I do have a blank DVD loaded in
>> the drive...)
>>
>> just downloaded a trial version of nero.. same thing, you can do all
>> sorts of fancy stuff, like burn music DVD's, movies, video, do fancy
>> menus, slideshows, etc.. but I want none of that, I just want to burn a
>> bunch of JPG's to a DVD (A LOT of them actually, only reason need to
>> burn them on a DVD instead of a regular data CD is that it's so many
>> images that I would have to burn about four CD's to burn all the images
>> I want to burn..)
>>
>> I just want a DATA DVD that when user inserts it in the machine they can
>> browse the files... but this is proving a bit difficult, which is a
>> bit strange, I mean this is a very simple thing.. how can I do this..
>>
>> thank you..

ok, after numerous attempts, I was able to drag one folder to the disk..
now it says, on top of the folder: "files ready to be written to the
disc.." so HOW do I write them?? i.e., how do I finalize the burning
of the files? I'm just doing a test-burn now.. but eventually will need
to burn about 1.4 GB of images to a read-only disk.. but before I do
that need to make sure I can make this work.. HOW do I finalize the
burning of the files to the DVD??

thank you..

maya

Re: burning a data DVD -- this is ABSURD..
maya wrote:
> Bob wrote:
>> Have you tried "copy and paste"?
>>
>> "maya" <maya778899@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> news:z9CdncFMnN3CGsDVnZ2dnUVZ_jSdnZ2d@giganews.com ...
>>> hi,
>>>
>>> I'm on windows ultimate.. I need to burn a DATA DVD.. for some reason
>>> this is proving a challenge.. you can't do it w/WMC, as it doesn't
>>> afford possibility of browsing to folders you want to burn..
>>>
>>> my roxio 10 isn't letting me do it either (when I go to "Data and
>>> Backup" I get to a window where under "Data Disc" it says, "Easily
>>> create and bun a data CD or DVD or save a disc image to your hard
>>> drive"... so I click on this "Data Disc" link, choose folder, click on
>>> yellow button at bottom right ("click this button to continue") but it
>>> just hangs.. nothing happens.. (and yes I do have a blank DVD loaded in
>>> the drive...)
>>>
>>> just downloaded a trial version of nero.. same thing, you can do all
>>> sorts of fancy stuff, like burn music DVD's, movies, video, do fancy
>>> menus, slideshows, etc.. but I want none of that, I just want to burn a
>>> bunch of JPG's to a DVD (A LOT of them actually, only reason need to
>>> burn them on a DVD instead of a regular data CD is that it's so many
>>> images that I would have to burn about four CD's to burn all the images
>>> I want to burn..)
>>>
>>> I just want a DATA DVD that when user inserts it in the machine they can
>>> browse the files... but this is proving a bit difficult, which is a
>>> bit strange, I mean this is a very simple thing.. how can I do this..
>>>
>>> thank you..
>>>

> ok, after numerous attempts, I was able to drag one folder to the disk..
> now it says, on top of the folder: "files ready to be written to the
> disc.." so HOW do I write them?? i.e., how do I finalize the burning
> of the files? I'm just doing a test-burn now.. but eventually will need
> to burn about 1.4 GB of images to a read-only disk.. but before I do
> that need to make sure I can make this work.. HOW do I finalize the
> burning of the files to the DVD??

so I "finalized" by clicking on "burn to disk" in toolbar in folder (but
was suspicious, since "burn to disk" appears always in folder toolbar
when you're browsing a folder w/images.. so it took a long time, when
it was over it ejected the disk, then I put it back in, in another
drive, but when I browse the contents of the disk it still says "files
ready to be burned to disk", and there's a "shortcut" icon on the
folder, and on the files inside the folder..

I have tried everything, have yet to successfully burn a DATA DVD with
Vista..

thank you...

N Brown

Re: burning a data DVD
Are you sure your adding the files to burn? Just browsing and chosing a
folder may not work? I never use smart start in Nero I use Nero Burning
rom. Try that then you browse
on the right explorer window in Nero and drag and drop files you want to
burn to the left
window. Oh and remember to dvd ISO mode or UDF mode if any of the files are
bigger than 2gigs.

"maya" <maya778899@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:z9CdncFMnN3CGsDVnZ2dnUVZ_jSdnZ2d@giganews.com ...
> hi,
>
> I'm on windows ultimate.. I need to burn a DATA DVD.. for some reason
> this is proving a challenge.. you can't do it w/WMC, as it doesn't
> afford possibility of browsing to folders you want to burn..
>
> my roxio 10 isn't letting me do it either (when I go to "Data and
> Backup" I get to a window where under "Data Disc" it says, "Easily
> create and bun a data CD or DVD or save a disc image to your hard
> drive"... so I click on this "Data Disc" link, choose folder, click on
> yellow button at bottom right ("click this button to continue") but it
> just hangs.. nothing happens.. (and yes I do have a blank DVD loaded in
> the drive...)
>
> just downloaded a trial version of nero.. same thing, you can do all
> sorts of fancy stuff, like burn music DVD's, movies, video, do fancy
> menus, slideshows, etc.. but I want none of that, I just want to burn a
> bunch of JPG's to a DVD (A LOT of them actually, only reason need to
> burn them on a DVD instead of a regular data CD is that it's so many
> images that I would have to burn about four CD's to burn all the images
> I want to burn..)
>
> I just want a DATA DVD that when user inserts it in the machine they can
> browse the files... but this is proving a bit difficult, which is a
> bit strange, I mean this is a very simple thing.. how can I do this..
>
> thank you..

N Brown

Re: burning a data DVD -- this is ABSURD..
Trust me it's user error not Vista.

"maya" <maya778899@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:lIOdnXUcyYaGCMDVnZ2dnUVZ_uGdnZ2d@giganews.com ...
> maya wrote:
>> Bob wrote:
>>> Have you tried "copy and paste"?
>>>
>>> "maya" <maya778899@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> news:z9CdncFMnN3CGsDVnZ2dnUVZ_jSdnZ2d@giganews.com ...

>> ok, after numerous attempts, I was able to drag one folder to the disk..
>> now it says, on top of the folder: "files ready to be written to the
>> disc.." so HOW do I write them?? i.e., how do I finalize the burning of
>> the files? I'm just doing a test-burn now.. but eventually will need to
>> burn about 1.4 GB of images to a read-only disk.. but before I do that
>> need to make sure I can make this work.. HOW do I finalize the burning of
>> the files to the DVD??

> so I "finalized" by clicking on "burn to disk" in toolbar in folder (but
> was suspicious, since "burn to disk" appears always in folder toolbar when
> you're browsing a folder w/images.. so it took a long time, when it was
> over it ejected the disk, then I put it back in, in another drive, but
> when I browse the contents of the disk it still says "files ready to be
> burned to disk", and there's a "shortcut" icon on the folder, and on the
> files inside the folder..
>
> I have tried everything, have yet to successfully burn a DATA DVD with
> Vista..
>
> thank you...

victor

Re: burning a data DVD -- this is ABSURD..
Try the NREO
or get another brand blank DVD

"N Brown" <tokinkosh65@comcast.net> ????
> Trust me it's user error not Vista.
>
> "maya" <maya778899@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:lIOdnXUcyYaGCMDVnZ2dnUVZ_uGdnZ2d@giganews.com ...
>> maya wrote:

>>> ok, after numerous attempts, I was able to drag one folder to the disk..
>>> now it says, on top of the folder: "files ready to be written to the
>>> disc.." so HOW do I write them?? i.e., how do I finalize the burning
>>> of the files? I'm just doing a test-burn now.. but eventually will need
>>> to burn about 1.4 GB of images to a read-only disk.. but before I do
>>> that need to make sure I can make this work.. HOW do I finalize the
>>> burning of the files to the DVD??

>> so I "finalized" by clicking on "burn to disk" in toolbar in folder (but
>> was suspicious, since "burn to disk" appears always in folder toolbar
>> when you're browsing a folder w/images.. so it took a long time, when it
>> was over it ejected the disk, then I put it back in, in another drive,
>> but when I browse the contents of the disk it still says "files ready to
>> be burned to disk", and there's a "shortcut" icon on the folder, and on
>> the files inside the folder..
>>
>> I have tried everything, have yet to successfully burn a DATA DVD with
>> Vista..
>>
>> thank you...

dbknox

Re: burning a data DVD

Nothing seems to let you burn? Vista,Nero,Roxio?
I would say this points to a bad burner or outdated "firmware" for that
burner, I would guess the later.. I had the same trouble a few years ago
using windows XP and I finally bit the bullet and downloaded an updated
version of the firmware for my specific burner from the manufacturere's
site. Most maunufacturers include a installation package that does
everything all I had to do was click on the executable file I
downloaded.
Also try this free burning software from Major Geeks, I have tested it
and find I can do multi-session and then see the sessions on any other
Windows operating system, Using the Vista burning software I could not
see the sessions using XP.
'|MG| BurnAware Free Edition 1.3'
(http://www.majorgeeks.com/BurnAware_...ion_d5839.html)
Hope this helps.
( You do not say what flavour of Vista you have, just curious).

--
dbknox
maya

Re: burning a data DVD
dbknox wrote:
> Nothing seems to let you burn? Vista,Nero,Roxio?
> I would say this points to a bad burner or outdated "firmware" for that
> burner, I would guess the later.. I had the same trouble a few years ago
> using windows XP and I finally bit the bullet and downloaded an updated
> version of the firmware for my specific burner from the manufacturere's
> site. Most maunufacturers include a installation package that does
> everything all I had to do was click on the executable file I
> downloaded.
> Also try this free burning software from Major Geeks, I have tested it
> and find I can do multi-session and then see the sessions on any other
> Windows operating system, Using the Vista burning software I could not
> see the sessions using XP.
> '|MG| BurnAware Free Edition 1.3'
> (http://www.majorgeeks.com/BurnAware_...ion_d5839.html)
> Hope this helps.
> ( You do not say what flavour of Vista you have, just curious).

actually it FINALLY worked with Roxio Classic (not sure exact name, it's
an app "within an app" inside roxio, it's like the old roxio I used at a
previous job to burn CD's.. it works very well.. you just drag the
folders into DVD window...)

no, with Nero was also not able to.. couldn't find a way to burn a DATA
DVD and couldn't find a way where you can just browse to folder you want
and burn files/folders you want.. all these programs now (nero, roxio,
WMC) offer mostly slick interfaces where you can choose a "gallery" to
burn and stuff (and where you can't just browse to location where files
are you want to burn, I don't get that..) however, was happy to find
out, finally, that in roxio IS included the old "classic" version, which
is a very simple interface (like a file manager w/two windows, you just
drag files/folders from location to DVD (or CD) window..)

thank you very much...