WMP 11 on Vista Biz x64 Appcrash

bad_the_ba

WMP 11 on Vista Biz x64 Appcrash

I'm hoping zachd sees this, since I have followed many of his
instructions and nothing has worked. Everything on his site looks very
helpful, but I think my situation may be a little more unique. I
installed Vista x64 several months ago, and have had Media Player
working fine with K-lite codec pack (being Vista Biz, there was no out
of the box DVD playback). It has also worked fine with Nero OEM 7
installed, but i do not think the nero burn plug in was ever installed
or used by WMP. I have made several hardware changes recently, mainly
because my motherboard was upgraded by ASUS's warranty department after
sending in another last year. So I had Vista installed fresh with my new
board, but old proc and memory. About 3 weeks ago, I replaced the
processor, but since I have most of my music on another computer, I
never really used WMP on the new setup. Today, I tried to set up my
library on WMP11 on x64, and whenever I open WMP it crashes within
seconds. The only way I can get it to stay open for any length of time
is to open a preferences menu, or somehow get it to switch to a tab
other than "library" quick enough. I browsed Google and various forums
to get enough info to try several steps, and nothing yet has worked. I
have uninstalled K-lite codecs and Nero. I have deleted the contents of
the DRM folder. I have tried individualizing DRM again. I have deleted
the Media Player folder under my profile which includes my library
databases. With K-lite codecs reinstalled, I am able to play a DVD at
times, but any time Media player stays on the library window for more
tha na few seconds, it crashes. Here is the data I receive.

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: wmplayer.exe
Application Version: 11.0.6001.7000
Application Timestamp: 47919356
Fault Module Name: Indiv01.key
Fault Module Version: 11.0.6000.6324
Fault Module Timestamp: 47e32748
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 00111676
OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.6
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: fd00
Additional Information 2: ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160
Additional Information 3: fd00
Additional Information 4: ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160

When I run the command found here 'WMP FAQ: A trouble-shooting guide
for Windows Media Player problems.'
(http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html#indiv), I receive a similar crash with
these details.

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: unregmp2.exe
Application Version: 11.0.6001.7000
Application Timestamp: 47919dc7
Fault Module Name: Indiv01_64.key
Fault Module Version: 11.0.6000.6324
Fault Module Timestamp: 47e326c6
Exception Code: 40000015
Exception Offset: 00000000001230dd
OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.6
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 293a
Additional Information 2: 64fd5719f41bbbf32ebe7651ae7fa3a6
Additional Information 3: dc5b
Additional Information 4: d1a695a3016dd30400e553e73a162323

Also, opening the DRM update link in IE 7 results in a similar crash of
IE with these results. 'Security component upgrade'
(http://drmlicense.one.microsoft.com/...it.asp?force=1)

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: iexplore.exe
Application Version: 7.0.6001.18000
Application Timestamp: 47918f11
Fault Module Name: Indiv01.key
Fault Module Version: 11.0.6000.6324
Fault Module Timestamp: 47e32748
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 0011b9e3
OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.6
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: fd00
Additional Information 2: ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160
Additional Information 3: fd00
Additional Information 4: ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160

I am pretty confident this issue is related to changing processors in
this computer, but the steps listed on MS's tech site as a workaround do
not work, as deleting the DRM folder, with or without backing up my
licenses, fails to correct the issue. I have not ripped anything into
the library on this Vista x64 setup, but instead was trying to connect
to shared media on another computer. This same scenario works flawlessly
on a Vista Home Premium x86 computer on the same network. I will post
this, then see if I can swap enough things around to temporarily go back
to the old proc, and update the thread if needed.
Todd V.

--
bad_the_ba
zachd [MSFT]

Re: WMP 11 on Vista Biz x64 Appcrash

Yeah, you followed the trail right so far - the Indiv crash you're hitting
is definitively a crash in the DRM component. That's still on your system
in a bad state, that's why you're crashing.
http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html#indiv
should fix you up, but since you're still crashing:
Find those Indiv files on your system and then follow the "reset the DRM
cache" instructions making sure you include those Indiv folders on your
system.

If you notice ways the documentation here could be made better, let me know.
This should fix you up though - I'm betting you just missed a folder.

--
Speaking for myself only.
"bad_the_ba" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> [...]
> Locale ID: 1033
> Additional Information 1: fd00
> Additional Information 2: ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160
> Additional Information 3: fd00
> Additional Information 4: ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160
>
> I am pretty confident this issue is related to changing processors in
> this computer, but the steps listed on MS's tech site as a workaround do
> not work, as deleting the DRM folder, with or without backing up my
> licenses, fails to correct the issue. I have not ripped anything into
> the library on this Vista x64 setup, but instead was trying to connect
> to shared media on another computer. This same scenario works flawlessly
> on a Vista Home Premium x86 computer on the same network. I will post
> this, then see if I can swap enough things around to temporarily go back
> to the old proc, and update the thread if needed.

Rob Redbeard

Re: WMP 11 on Vista Biz x64 Appcrash
The real problem lies in the fact that Vista and/or WMP 11 do not properly
handle having the system CPU changed. This was not always such a common
thing to do. However, the Socket 775 platform's ubiquity and the presence of
more "horizontal upgrades" such as moving from Celery's to dual or quad cores
has made the chance of a user upgrading their CPU much more likely. Vista
knows when you change the CPU, it detects and installs new software (or just
registry settings) for it. You need to write a patch that back's up, resets,
the recovers users license cache's. I fixed one set last night with WMP only
to find that my Media Center (x64) were in another location and needed to be
separately deleted. This problem is severe (in that it blocks users from

Rob

"zachd [MSFT]" wrote:

> [...]
> > Locale ID: 1033
> > Additional Information 1: fd00
> > Additional Information 2: ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160
> > Additional Information 3: fd00
> > Additional Information 4: ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160
> >
> > I am pretty confident this issue is related to changing processors in
> > this computer, but the steps listed on MS's tech site as a workaround do
> > not work, as deleting the DRM folder, with or without backing up my
> > licenses, fails to correct the issue. I have not ripped anything into
> > the library on this Vista x64 setup, but instead was trying to connect
> > to shared media on another computer. This same scenario works flawlessly
> > on a Vista Home Premium x86 computer on the same network. I will post
> > this, then see if I can swap enough things around to temporarily go back
> > to the old proc, and update the thread if needed.

bad_the_ba

Re: WMP 11 on Vista Biz x64 Appcrash

Sorry I didn't follow up on this earlier, I wasn't notified of zach's
response for some reason. I have been awaiting a warranty situation from
Seagate to decide if I wanted to reinstall Vista Biz 64 on a RAID
configuration, as that is the reason I bought 2 drives (one brand new
750GB makes interesting noises, so I left it unused). As of today,
though, I saw the follow-up on my thread and went back for another try.
I never use WMP on this computer, but then again I could never access my
main library either. I went back through the instructions and gave it
another go, and re-deleted the DRM folder contents (I assume files were
recreated on my attempts to run WMP before during my first attempts). I
ran the "run" command to Individualize once again, and it worked fine.
Thanks zach for the expertise on this subject, and again... sorry I
didn't see your response earlier.

One interesting side note... the MS kb site you reference for resetting
the DRM lists the registry location to finding the DRM store, but
nothing more than HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\DRM appears in
the registry on my setup, no sub keys or anything. Pretty much
inconsequential at this point, but the KB site shows
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\DRM\DataPath should be available,
showing the directory DRM is using.

Bottom line is it's working. I don't know if I will reinstall Windows
anyway because of changing my HDD setup, but kudos to you ZachD, I've
learned something. Your website is very helpful.

--
bad_the_ba
Rob Redbeard

Re: WMP 11 on Vista Biz x64 Appcrash
Glad it worked for you. My point is that you shouldn't have to manually do
this. I have never bought music online that uses DRM, so I've never even
used these DRM features. I only found out there was a license store on my
computer after I had to delete it to be able to use WMP 11 again. This
should handled automatically when a CPU change occurs.

Rob

"bad_the_ba" wrote:

> Sorry I didn't follow up on this earlier, I wasn't notified of zach's
> response for some reason. I have been awaiting a warranty situation from
> Seagate to decide if I wanted to reinstall Vista Biz 64 on a RAID
> configuration, as that is the reason I bought 2 drives (one brand new
> 750GB makes interesting noises, so I left it unused). As of today,
> though, I saw the follow-up on my thread and went back for another try.
> I never use WMP on this computer, but then again I could never access my
> main library either. I went back through the instructions and gave it
> another go, and re-deleted the DRM folder contents (I assume files were
> recreated on my attempts to run WMP before during my first attempts). I
> ran the "run" command to Individualize once again, and it worked fine.
> Thanks zach for the expertise on this subject, and again... sorry I
> didn't see your response earlier.
>
> One interesting side note... the MS kb site you reference for resetting
> the DRM lists the registry location to finding the DRM store, but
> nothing more than HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\DRM appears in
> the registry on my setup, no sub keys or anything. Pretty much
> inconsequential at this point, but the KB site shows
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\DRM\DataPath should be available,
> showing the directory DRM is using.
>
> Bottom line is it's working. I don't know if I will reinstall Windows
> anyway because of changing my HDD setup, but kudos to you ZachD, I've
> learned something. Your website is very helpful.
>

> --
> bad_the_ba

bad_the_ba

Re: WMP 11 on Vista Biz x64 Appcrash

You're right that it is an annoyance that could have been handled better
by MS. but you're wrong in placing the blame entirely on MS. Music and
movie industries have been pressuring software and hardware vendors
forever to build in more and more protection so that media cannot be
copied from computer to computer, etc. I don't really view this as
something that upset me, just something I wanted to figure out as a
technical support issue for future reference. I don't buy music online
either, I just play my ripped media which I own on physical media across
a network. If you run into a new annoyance on Vista, don't just view it
as a Microsoft failure. Personally, I just store this one away as a
nugget in the back of my brain that I might be able to help someone else
out with in the future. Again, kudos to Zach, as he got me where I
wanted to be, and kept it simple.

'zachd [MSFT Wrote:
> ;753877']If you notice ways the documentation here could be made better,
> let me know.
> This should fix you up though - I'm betting you just missed a folder.

Nope, no issues, I think it's very well laid out. Like you said, I must
have just missed a folder or something. This was easier than Microsoft's
KB fix which involved returning the computer to it's original
configuration again

--
bad_the_ba
zachd [MSFT]

Re: WMP 11 on Vista Biz x64 Appcrash

If you have a way to reliably reproduce this crash, I have The Right Guy on
the DRM team who would loooooooooove to get that information from you.

What exactly were you doing when you ran into that crash? How would he
semi-reliably manage to run into this same error?

(I realize it might be crystal clear to you, but there seems to be some
missing data here so far that would be very helpful to have on the MS side.)

--
Speaking for myself only.
"Rob Redbeard" <RobRedbeard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>> > Additional Information 2: ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160
>> > Additional Information 3: fd00
>> > Additional Information 4: ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160
>> >
>> > I am pretty confident this issue is related to changing processors in
>> > this computer, but the steps listed on MS's tech site as a workaround
>> > do
>> > not work, as deleting the DRM folder, with or without backing up my
>> > licenses, fails to correct the issue. I have not ripped anything into
>> > the library on this Vista x64 setup, but instead was trying to connect
>> > to shared media on another computer. This same scenario works
>> > flawlessly
>> > on a Vista Home Premium x86 computer on the same network. I will post
>> > this, then see if I can swap enough things around to temporarily go
>> > back
>> > to the old proc, and update the thread if needed.

Rob Redbeard

Re: WMP 11 on Vista Biz x64 Appcrash
I would love to help.
Recreation of the WMP loadtime crash:
System:
Motherboard: GA-EX38-DS4 w/ latest Intel drivers
Initial CPU: Core2Duo E6420
OS: Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit

To create the problem, I took the CPU out and put in a new one: C2D E8400.

That's it. When Vista booted it detected the hardware change. Office
applications prompted to activate office online again. However, starting WMP
resulted in it loading for a brief second, then crashing due to the lincense
system. I'm relatively tech savy, so I googled around and found the KB
article with the instructions to delete the license cache. However, this
should never have been necessary, that's a critical failure in the user
experience department. Good luck and have fun swapping CPU's.

I appreciate you guys trying to make music profitable to musicians without
making that annoying and cumbersome to users. How about instead of a buried
KB article about how to back up, delete, and restore your license cache;
writing a small procedure that does this when the system detects a CPU
change. Hope you can finish it before the new q9650's come out.
Rob

"zachd [MSFT]" wrote:

> If you have a way to reliably reproduce this crash, I have The Right Guy on
> the DRM team who would loooooooooove to get that information from you.
>
> What exactly were you doing when you ran into that crash? How would he
> semi-reliably manage to run into this same error?
>
> (I realize it might be crystal clear to you, but there seems to be some
> missing data here so far that would be very helpful to have on the MS side.)
>
> --
> Speaking for myself only.
> "Rob Redbeard" <RobRedbeard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > The real problem lies in the fact that Vista and/or WMP 11 do not properly
> > handle having the system CPU changed. This was not always such a common
> > thing to do. However, the Socket 775 platform's ubiquity and the presence
> > of
> > more "horizontal upgrades" such as moving from Celery's to dual or quad
> > cores
> > has made the chance of a user upgrading their CPU much more likely. Vista
> > knows when you change the CPU, it detects and installs new software (or
> > just
> > registry settings) for it. You need to write a patch that back's up,
> > resets,
> > the recovers users license cache's. I fixed one set last night with WMP
> > only
> > to find that my Media Center (x64) were in another location and needed to
> > be
> > separately deleted. This problem is severe (in that it blocks users from
> >
> > Rob
> >
> > "zachd [MSFT]" wrote:
> >

> >> Yeah, you followed the trail right so far - the Indiv crash you're
> >> hitting
> >> is definitively a crash in the DRM component. That's still on your
> >> system
> >> in a bad state, that's why you're crashing.
> >> http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html#indiv
> >> should fix you up, but since you're still crashing:
> >> Find those Indiv files on your system and then follow the "reset the DRM
> >> cache" instructions making sure you include those Indiv folders on your
> >> system.
> >>
> >> If you notice ways the documentation here could be made better, let me
> >> know.
> >> This should fix you up though - I'm betting you just missed a folder.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Speaking for myself only.
> >> See http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html for some helpful WMP info.
> >> rights.

bad_the_ba

Re: WMP 11 on Vista Biz x64 Appcrash

Yeah, My experience was pretty much the same. I had Installed Vista Biz
x64 and had added a network folder to monitor for my WMP library. I had
no other music added other than the included sample music. The original
setup was:
Asus P5N32E-SLI Plus
Pentium D 950 3.4
OCZ 2x2GB DDR2 800 SLI edition
Seagate 750 GB SATAII
I ordered parts for a Media Center PC, and when I got them I swapped
the Pentium D for an E8400 and booted up. I got no errors or prompts and
everything seemed like normal. Until I ran WMP for the first time. I
then got the AppCrash and it was reproduced every time I tried to open
WMP or Individualize through IE7. I have no other MS licensed software
on his machine, and Vista at that point was still unactivated because of
my HDD situation I had mentioned before. I assume that this could be
reproduced the same way over and over again. The KB article told me what
I needed to do, but I was unwilling to swap back to the original config,
since I had the machines already set up on opposite ends of the house.
That's about it, thanks for the support.

--
bad_the_ba
zachd [MSFT]

Re: WMP 11 on Vista Biz x64 Appcrash

This will be a great thread for anyone hitting this problem to help
contribute to.

Follow-up questions:
* This was indeed the indiv001.key crash, right?
* Was there any user mode or kernel debugger attached?