Copying pictures multiple times

Jorge131

Copying pictures multiple times
Hello All,
So if I copy my pictures (JPEG) from CD #1 to CD #2 and then from CD #2 to
CD #3, would that possibly mean that my pictures in CD # 3 have less quality
than my pictures in CD #1. Does the copying process could affect the quality
of the pictures in the long term.

Thanks a lot for your reply

--
JF
Michael Walraven

Re: Copying pictures multiple times
Copying will not have any effect on the quality of a JPG image. You may be
confused with advice not to open a JPG then save it, this in general will
degrade the picture. (opening converts the JPG into a display format -
basically a bit map -, if it then converts it back into another JPG there
will be loss of quality.)

Michael

"Jorge131" <Jorge131@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news11BB00D-C523-43A9-8022-506476D8A41D@microsoft.com...
> Hello All,
> So if I copy my pictures (JPEG) from CD #1 to CD #2 and then from CD #2 to
> CD #3, would that possibly mean that my pictures in CD # 3 have less
> quality
> than my pictures in CD #1. Does the copying process could affect the
> quality
> of the pictures in the long term.
>
> Thanks a lot for your reply
>

> --
> JF

Jorge131

Re: Copying pictures multiple times
Thanks for the clarification.
Then, I would also assume that if I modify the date the pictures were taken
or if I rename files (In groups of pictures as Windows Live allows), there is
no quality loss either. I tried doing this with some pictures and I noticed
the files actually increased their size in 3-4 KB.

Would you concur with my assumption?
Thanks
--
JF

"Michael Walraven" wrote:

> Copying will not have any effect on the quality of a JPG image. You may be
> confused with advice not to open a JPG then save it, this in general will
> degrade the picture. (opening converts the JPG into a display format -
> basically a bit map -, if it then converts it back into another JPG there
> will be loss of quality.)
>
> Michael
>

> "Jorge131" <Jorge131@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news11BB00D-C523-43A9-8022-506476D8A41D@microsoft.com...
> > Hello All,
> > So if I copy my pictures (JPEG) from CD #1 to CD #2 and then from CD #2 to
> > CD #3, would that possibly mean that my pictures in CD # 3 have less
> > quality
> > than my pictures in CD #1. Does the copying process could affect the
> > quality
> > of the pictures in the long term.
> >
> > Thanks a lot for your reply
> >

> > --
> > JF

Michael Walraven

Re: Copying pictures multiple times
I would not expect that changing the file name would increase the size, but
neither operation should affect the contents (i.e. quality).
Using Windows Live Photo Gallery to 'set' the date picture taken if there
was no such entry in the original picture would increase the size as it
added a block to store that new data. (note that if there is no actual date
picture taken then the date created is used as a surrogate.) I have not
noticed increases in file sizes you are seeing, but then I have never looked
that closely.