Windows Photo Gallery uses wrong printer

TedT

Windows Photo Gallery uses wrong printer
Hi,
I installed another printer on my computer, it has the same name as my
feault but with (copy 1) after it. Thsi is because my default is on my
network, but sometimes I plug directly via USB to see page usage etc which
cnanot be done via the network.
So my default printer is:
Brother HL-5140
and is on ethernet
The other is:
Brother HL-5140 (copy1)
and is on USB

All other apps select the default printer, Photo Gallery selects the second,
and no matter what I do, I cannot get Photo Gallery to select the default -
so everytime I print I have to select the printer. Clearly this is some bug.

How do I get Photo gallery to default to the default printer.
Thanks
Ted

Clevo

Re: Windows Photo Gallery uses wrong printer

No it's no bug, software is designed to choose the default
printer...shoul dbe only a one click operation though to change printer
from anything other than the default

--
Clevo

___________________________
Windows Vista Home Premium x64 + SP1
ASUS P5K MB
Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4GHz
4GB RAM (DDR2)
NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GTS
Realtek HD onboard sound

Helpful links:
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...91033.mspx#EEE
TedT

Re: Windows Photo Gallery uses wrong printer
That IS the problem. It refuses to select the default printer, it picks the
other printer. All my other apps select the default, as they should. I have
seen this complaint on other boards, but no solution posted except some
regisry edits.

Photo Gallery used to select the default printer until I installed the new
printer, but the new printer is NOT the default printer. So Photo gallery IS
NOT selecting the default printer as it should.

I have changed the default printer to other printers (including FAX), yet it
continues to always select the same printer.
Thanks
Ted

"Clevo" wrote:

> No it's no bug, software is designed to choose the default
> printer...shoul dbe only a one click operation though to change printer
> from anything other than the default
>
> TedT;746122 Wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I installed another printer on my computer, it has the same name as my
> > feault but with (copy 1) after it. Thsi is because my default is on my
> > network, but sometimes I plug directly via USB to see page usage etc
> > which
> > cnanot be done via the network.
> > So my default printer is:
> > Brother HL-5140
> > and is on ethernet
> > The other is:
> > Brother HL-5140 (copy1)
> > and is on USB
> >
> > All other apps select the default printer, Photo Gallery selects the
> > second,
> > and no matter what I do, I cannot get Photo Gallery to select the
> > default -
> > so everytime I print I have to select the printer. Clearly this is some
> > bug.
> >
> > How do I get Photo gallery to default to the default printer.
> > Thanks
> > Ted

> --
> Clevo
>
> ___________________________
> Windows Vista Home Premium x64 + SP1
> ASUS P5K MB
> Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4GHz
> 4GB RAM (DDR2)
> NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GTS
> Realtek HD onboard sound
>
> Helpful links:
> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...91033.mspx#EEE

shalmboy is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Easier done than said!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedT View Post
That IS the problem. It refuses to select the default printer, it picks the
other printer. All my other apps select the default, as they should. I have
seen this complaint on other boards, but no solution posted except some
regisry edits.

Photo Gallery used to select the default printer until I installed the new
printer, but the new printer is NOT the default printer. So Photo gallery IS
NOT selecting the default printer as it should.

I have changed the default printer to other printers (including FAX), yet it
continues to always select the same printer.
Thanks
Ted

"Clevo" wrote:
I spent a long time digging and fishing through the registry, couldn't find the entry they were talking about, and was writing a script to automate selecting the correct printer when the print window launched.. but stumbled on an easy answer by accident.

My problem was that Photo Gallery would always default print to the HP Fax and not the default HP Printer. They are part of my yippie-dippie-skippy HP All-in-One. Anyways, I ended going into the Control Panel > Printers and renaming the printer and fax for ease of scripting to much shorter and distinctly unique names, for some reason that fixed the problem all on its own! Don't ask me why or how but it did!! Honestly it was kind of a let down as I was just about to deploy my script, but I was glad it worked.

Let me know if you try this and it works!

I know our problems aren't exactly the same, but they sounded very similar and I hope it works for you.
TedT

Re: Windows Photo Gallery uses wrong printer
Hi,

Well, it took a couple of tries. My printer was "Brother 5140", and the new
printer that I did not want to use was "Brother 5140 (copy)". One was a
network printer and the other a local.

Changing the second printer name did not work until I changed the first
word, so Windows must some how look them up aphabelically.

Thanks, solves a big pain in the ass....
TedT

"shalmboy" wrote:

> TedT;869521 Wrote:
> > That IS the problem. It refuses to select the default printer, it picks
> > the
> > other printer. All my other apps select the default, as they should.
> > I have
> > seen this complaint on other boards, but no solution posted except some
> > regisry edits.
> >
> > Photo Gallery used to select the default printer until I installed the
> > new
> > printer, but the new printer is NOT the default printer. So Photo
> > gallery IS
> > NOT selecting the default printer as it should.
> >
> > I have changed the default printer to other printers (including FAX),
> > yet it
> > continues to always select the same printer.
> > Thanks
> > Ted
> >
> > "Clevo" wrote:
> >

> I spent a long time digging and fishing through the registry, couldn't
> find the entry they were talking about, and was writing a script to
> automate selecting the correct printer when the print window launched..
> but stumbled on an easy answer by accident.
>
> My problem was that Photo Gallery would always default print to the HP
> Fax and not the default HP Printer. They are part of my
> yippie-dippie-skippy HP All-in-One. Anyways, I ended going into the
> Control Panel > Printers and renaming the printer and fax for ease of
> scripting to much shorter and distinctly unique names, for some reason
> that fixed the problem all on its own! Don't ask me why or how but it
> did!! Honestly it was kind of a let down as I was just about to deploy
> my script, but I was glad it worked.
>
> Let me know if you try this and it works!
>
> -I know our problems aren't exactly the same, but they sounded very
> similar and I hope it works for you.-
>

> --
> shalmboy

shalmboy is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedT View Post
Hi,

Well, it took a couple of tries. My printer was "Brother 5140", and the new
printer that I did not want to use was "Brother 5140 (copy)". One was a
network printer and the other a local.

Changing the second printer name did not work until I changed the first
word, so Windows must some how look them up aphabelically.

Thanks, solves a big pain in the ass....
TedT
For me I think it seemed to be the length of the printer name.. I took out the un-needed descriptive titles from the middle of the name and it did the trick. Almost didn't believe my eyes when I saw it! I had to restart the computer a couple times before I accepted the fact!

Like you said its gotta be the way Windows handles the names of printers, or maybe changing the names of them refreshes the registry some how... who konw! I am very glad it worked for you as this has been bugging me for weeks and hopefully it will help many others. Everyone seems kinda vague on how to fix it and this fix was almost too good to be true! No playing or fishing with the registry...

Cheers!