No warning shut downs

Garo

No warning shut downs
Whenever I try to convert an .avi file to DVD format, my PC starts the
conversion process, and then suddenly shuts down. I'm not sure if this is a
Vista problem, or a hardware one, or a ...?

My PC specs are:
AMD Athlon 64x2 processor
2GB ram
320 GB hd
DVD/CD rom: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM_GSA-H60N ATA Device (as shown in Device Manager.
I am not sure of the read / write speeds)
Vista Home Premium

I'm not sure what the problem is, but I'm wondering if there's some kind of
fail-safe, a breaker of sorts, that shuts the PC down when the cpu usage is
above a certain level? The PC does get extra loud when it starts the
conversion, so my guess is the processor is really being drained. But if
that's the case, shouldn't a dual core processor be able to hand a simple
video file conversion? Am I making any sense? Probably not.

Please someone help me! Is there some kind of test / check / diagnostic
tool I can use to assess what's going on? Any info would be greatly
appreciated.

Thank you.
On Request

Re: No warning shut downs
What program are you using to convert your .avi files to DVD?

"Garo" <Garo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Whenever I try to convert an .avi file to DVD format, my PC starts the
> conversion process, and then suddenly shuts down. I'm not sure if this is
> Vista problem, or a hardware one, or a ...?
>
> My PC specs are:
> AMD Athlon 64x2 processor
> 2GB ram
> 320 GB hd
> DVD/CD rom: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM_GSA-H60N ATA Device (as shown in Device
> Manager.
> I am not sure of the read / write speeds)
> Vista Home Premium
>
> I'm not sure what the problem is, but I'm wondering if there's some kind
> of
> fail-safe, a breaker of sorts, that shuts the PC down when the cpu usage
> is
> above a certain level? The PC does get extra loud when it starts the
> conversion, so my guess is the processor is really being drained. But if
> that's the case, shouldn't a dual core processor be able to hand a simple
> video file conversion? Am I making any sense? Probably not.
>
> Please someone help me! Is there some kind of test / check / diagnostic
> tool I can use to assess what's going on? Any info would be greatly
> appreciated.
>
> Thank you.

Garo

Re: No warning shut downs
I have tried using "ConvertXtoDVD" and "AviDvdBurner" but to no avail. If
there is a better software I should be using, or if you know of settings I
should change, let me know. Thanks for the response.

Garo

"On Request" wrote:

> What program are you using to convert your .avi files to DVD?
>
> "Garo" <Garo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Whenever I try to convert an .avi file to DVD format, my PC starts the
> > conversion process, and then suddenly shuts down. I'm not sure if this is
> > Vista problem, or a hardware one, or a ...?
> >
> > My PC specs are:
> > AMD Athlon 64x2 processor
> > 2GB ram
> > 320 GB hd
> > DVD/CD rom: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM_GSA-H60N ATA Device (as shown in Device
> > Manager.
> > I am not sure of the read / write speeds)
> > Vista Home Premium
> >
> > I'm not sure what the problem is, but I'm wondering if there's some kind
> > of
> > fail-safe, a breaker of sorts, that shuts the PC down when the cpu usage
> > is
> > above a certain level? The PC does get extra loud when it starts the
> > conversion, so my guess is the processor is really being drained. But if
> > that's the case, shouldn't a dual core processor be able to hand a simple
> > video file conversion? Am I making any sense? Probably not.
> >
> > Please someone help me! Is there some kind of test / check / diagnostic
> > tool I can use to assess what's going on? Any info would be greatly
> > appreciated.
> >
> > Thank you.

On Request

Re: No warning shut downs
Sorry, I do not have experience with those programs; I use the Windows Movie
Maker and Windows DVD Maker that came with my Vista computer. Hopefully
someone else will have advice for you.

"Garo" <Garo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news02BF437-476A-4E06-A096-E601BC1D8AB9@microsoft.com...
>I have tried using "ConvertXtoDVD" and "AviDvdBurner" but to no avail. If
> there is a better software I should be using, or if you know of settings I
> should change, let me know. Thanks for the response.
>
> Garo
>
> "On Request" wrote:
>
>> What program are you using to convert your .avi files to DVD?
>>
>> "Garo" <Garo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Whenever I try to convert an .avi file to DVD format, my PC starts the
>> > conversion process, and then suddenly shuts down. I'm not sure if this
>> > is
>> > Vista problem, or a hardware one, or a ...?
>> >
>> > My PC specs are:
>> > AMD Athlon 64x2 processor
>> > 2GB ram
>> > 320 GB hd
>> > DVD/CD rom: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM_GSA-H60N ATA Device (as shown in Device
>> > Manager.
>> > I am not sure of the read / write speeds)
>> > Vista Home Premium
>> >
>> > I'm not sure what the problem is, but I'm wondering if there's some
>> > kind
>> > of
>> > fail-safe, a breaker of sorts, that shuts the PC down when the cpu
>> > usage
>> > is
>> > above a certain level? The PC does get extra loud when it starts the
>> > conversion, so my guess is the processor is really being drained. But
>> > if
>> > that's the case, shouldn't a dual core processor be able to hand a
>> > simple
>> > video file conversion? Am I making any sense? Probably not.
>> >
>> > Please someone help me! Is there some kind of test / check /
>> > diagnostic
>> > tool I can use to assess what's going on? Any info would be greatly
>> > appreciated.
>> >
>> > Thank you.

Garo

Re: No warning shut downs
I meant to say that I've tried those programs on top of MS Movie Maker, but
even with this, before it can finish converting and sending the file to DVD
Maker to burn, the system shuts down.

I read at MicrosoftTechNet to check the System Event Log. The log showed
that an Event ID 51 is reported every time it shuts down. It seems "an
input/output (I/O) request to a memory-mapped file failed and the operation
was retried", whatever that means. Reading further reveals that it could be
directly related to the DVD drive itself, and suggests I check with the
device manufacturer for updates/drivers, so that's what my next step will be.

I let you know how things turn out.

Thanks again for trying.

Garo

"On Request" wrote:

> Sorry, I do not have experience with those programs; I use the Windows Movie
> Maker and Windows DVD Maker that came with my Vista computer. Hopefully
> someone else will have advice for you.
>
> "Garo" <Garo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news02BF437-476A-4E06-A096-E601BC1D8AB9@microsoft.com...
> >I have tried using "ConvertXtoDVD" and "AviDvdBurner" but to no avail. If
> > there is a better software I should be using, or if you know of settings I
> > should change, let me know. Thanks for the response.
> >
> > Garo
> >
> > "On Request" wrote:
> >
> >> What program are you using to convert your .avi files to DVD?

Garo

Re: No warning shut downs
OK. I checked the dvd rom driver and ensured it is current (I even rolled
back in case that was the issue), but my pc still shuts down suddenly when
converting .avi to dvd. I decided to monitor the system performance while
converting, and noticed, as evidenced by the loud fan I'd heard every time,
the CPU was being drained exponentially! I mean, it starts off at ~20% of
total, then quickly starts rising. It only takes about 30s before it's
running at ~120%... then some fail-safe happens, some sort of
"InitiateSystemShutdownEx" is triggered, and the PC powers down. I read
online that this shotdown executable can be triggered by the motherboard, or
by the program. To this end, I've been trying to change the settings in the
software to decrease the CPU usage (like lower quality, unchecking
DeInterleaving, altering the conversion priority, etc.), but to no avail.

Does anyone know what I should do? Is there a way to change the motherboard
or software settings to reduce the drain during conversion? Or am I totally
off with the cpu drain being the issue? Any help would be greatly
appreciated!

Garo

"Garo" wrote:

> I meant to say that I've tried those programs on top of MS Movie Maker, but
> even with this, before it can finish converting and sending the file to DVD
> Maker to burn, the system shuts down.
>
> I read at MicrosoftTechNet to check the System Event Log. The log showed
> that an Event ID 51 is reported every time it shuts down. It seems "an
> input/output (I/O) request to a memory-mapped file failed and the operation
> was retried", whatever that means. Reading further reveals that it could be
> directly related to the DVD drive itself, and suggests I check with the
> device manufacturer for updates/drivers, so that's what my next step will be.
>

> I let you know how things turn out.
>
> Thanks again for trying.
>
> Garo
>
> "On Request" wrote:
>
> > Sorry, I do not have experience with those programs; I use the Windows Movie
> > Maker and Windows DVD Maker that came with my Vista computer. Hopefully
> > someone else will have advice for you.
> >
> > "Garo" <Garo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > news02BF437-476A-4E06-A096-E601BC1D8AB9@microsoft.com...
> > >I have tried using "ConvertXtoDVD" and "AviDvdBurner" but to no avail. If
> > > there is a better software I should be using, or if you know of settings I
> > > should change, let me know. Thanks for the response.
> > >
> > > Garo

On Request

Re: No warning shut downs
This is sounding like more of a computer/Windows problem than one associated
with Movie Maker or DVD Maker.
When I run into such problems, I post my problem in some other forums where
there seems to be good expertise. A few of them are:

http://thevistaforums.com/
http://www.computerforum.com/
http://www.techsupportforum.com/
http://www.techspot.com/vb/index.php

One or more of those may be helpful. You will have to Register to be able
to post, but it is free and no big hassle. Good luck!

> OK. I checked the dvd rom driver and ensured it is current (I even rolled
> back in case that was the issue), but my pc still shuts down suddenly when
> converting .avi to dvd. I decided to monitor the system performance while
> converting, and noticed, as evidenced by the loud fan I'd heard every
> time,
> the CPU was being drained exponentially! I mean, it starts off at ~20% of
> total, then quickly starts rising. It only takes about 30s before it's
> running at ~120%... then some fail-safe happens, some sort of
> "InitiateSystemShutdownEx" is triggered, and the PC powers down. I read
> online that this shotdown executable can be triggered by the motherboard,
> or
> by the program. To this end, I've been trying to change the settings in
> the
> software to decrease the CPU usage (like lower quality, unchecking
> DeInterleaving, altering the conversion priority, etc.), but to no avail.
>
> Does anyone know what I should do? Is there a way to change the
> motherboard
> or software settings to reduce the drain during conversion? Or am I
> totally
> off with the cpu drain being the issue? Any help would be greatly
> appreciated!
>
> Garo
>
> "Garo" wrote:
>
>> I meant to say that I've tried those programs on top of MS Movie Maker,
>> but
>> even with this, before it can finish converting and sending the file to
>> DVD
>> Maker to burn, the system shuts down.
>>
>> I read at MicrosoftTechNet to check the System Event Log. The log showed
>> that an Event ID 51 is reported every time it shuts down. It seems "an
>> input/output (I/O) request to a memory-mapped file failed and the
>> operation
>> was retried", whatever that means. Reading further reveals that it could
>> be
>> directly related to the DVD drive itself, and suggests I check with the
>> device manufacturer for updates/drivers, so that's what my next step will
>> be.
>>

>> I let you know how things turn out.
>>
>> Thanks again for trying.
>>
>> Garo
>>
>> "On Request" wrote:
>>
>> > Sorry, I do not have experience with those programs; I use the Windows
>> > Movie
>> > Maker and Windows DVD Maker that came with my Vista computer. Hopefully
>> > someone else will have advice for you.
>> >
>> > "Garo" <Garo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > news02BF437-476A-4E06-A096-E601BC1D8AB9@microsoft.com...

Clevo

Re: No warning shut downs

Sounds to me like a bit of an overheating problem...but it could be
several other reasons why

--
Clevo

Windows Vista Home Premium x64 + SP1