file's metadata in Windows Vista: "The embedded ICC profile cannot be used because th

Simona

file's metadata in Windows Vista: "The embedded ICC profile cannot be used because th

I've just got a great new laptop...The only problem is that it works
with Windows Vista.
I've never had any problems when using XP and I kind of know how to use
photoshop.
My DSLR camera's software doesn't work with vista(It's a known fact)so
I decided to use windows own window to download my pics into my laptop.
That's what happens if I work in CS2 and try to save a JPEG that was
shoot in Adobe 1998(it's all fine with Raw ans sRGB files):
Error message in Adobe Photoshop after you modify a file's metadata in
Windows Vista: "The embedded ICC profile cannot be used because the ICC
profile description is invalid".This problem occurs because Windows
Vista writes back incorrect RGB information to the file when you change
its metadata.Now...It seems that there's nothing I can do about
it...Just wondering ...Would it make a difference if I used a card
reader to transfer my files?
Thanks.

--
Simona
zachd [MSFT]

Re: file's metadata in Windows Vista: "The embedded ICC profile cannot be used because th

Do you have a sample file that shows this problem... ?

--
Speaking for myself only.
"Simona" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> I've just got a great new laptop...The only problem is that it works
> with Windows Vista.
> I've never had any problems when using XP and I kind of know how to use
> photoshop.
> My DSLR camera's software doesn't work with vista(It's a known fact)so
> I decided to use windows own window to download my pics into my laptop.
> That's what happens if I work in CS2 and try to save a JPEG that was
> shoot in Adobe 1998(it's all fine with Raw ans sRGB files):
> Error message in Adobe Photoshop after you modify a file's metadata in
> Windows Vista: "The embedded ICC profile cannot be used because the ICC
> profile description is invalid".This problem occurs because Windows
> Vista writes back incorrect RGB information to the file when you change
> its metadata.Now...It seems that there's nothing I can do about
> it...Just wondering ...Would it make a difference if I used a card
> reader to transfer my files?
> Thanks.
>

> --
> Simona

Simona

Re: file's metadata in Windows Vista: "The embedded ICC profile cannot be used because th

I'm not sure how I can insert my pictures here..I don't have a
URL...I've Just checked again and the problem really appears to be with
the command:Import pictures using Windows.If you use 'importing pictures
with Windows', photos that were taken on Raw and sRGB can be processed
fine in Photoshop,but not the ones that were taken in Adobe 1998(When
you try and save as, Photoshop freezes,and if you try and save the image
or change the profile, this error message appears:invalid ICC profile
description.I've resolved the matter by using a memory card reader or by
using 'Open Device To View Folders' in the autoplay optionand
right-click to open camera as removeble storage and then copy and paste
files into desktop or folder...No problems at all doing that..Photoshop
is happy with all the files...
I'm afraid it's true u can have a look if you check this link
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935893 :'Error message in Adobe
Photoshop after you modify a file's metadata in Windows Vista: \"The
embedded ICC profile cannot be used because the ICC profile description
is invalid\"' (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935893)
I just can't believe that Xp was just fine and Vista so far is a
disaster!!!

--
Simona
zachd [MSFT]

Re: file's metadata in Windows Vista: "The embedded ICC profile cannot be used because th

Isn't this fixed in Vista Service Pack 1?

I'm pretty sure about this. I'll follow up with that KB article's owners
about mentioning that in the KB.

--

> I'm not sure how I can insert my pictures here..I don't have a
> URL...I've Just checked again and the problem really appears to be with
> the command:Import pictures using Windows.If you use 'importing pictures
> with Windows', photos that were taken on Raw and sRGB can be processed
> fine in Photoshop,but not the ones that were taken in Adobe 1998(When
> you try and save as, Photoshop freezes,and if you try and save the image
> or change the profile, this error message appears:invalid ICC profile
> description.I've resolved the matter by using a memory card reader or by
> using 'Open Device To View Folders' in the autoplay optionand
> right-click to open camera as removeble storage and then copy and paste
> files into desktop or folder...No problems at all doing that..Photoshop
> is happy with all the files...
> I'm afraid it's true u can have a look if you check this link
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935893 :'Error message in Adobe
> Photoshop after you modify a file's metadata in Windows Vista: \"The
> embedded ICC profile cannot be used because the ICC profile description
> is invalid\"' (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935893)
> I just can't believe that Xp was just fine and Vista so far is a
> disaster!!!
>

> --
> Simona

zachd [MSFT]

Re: file's metadata in Windows Vista: "The embedded ICC profile cannot be used because th

Preliminary reports confirm that this is fixed in SP1.

Update to that and this problem should stop happening.

--
Speaking for myself only.
"zachd [MSFT]" <zachd@nomailplz.online.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> Isn't this fixed in Vista Service Pack 1?
>
> I'm pretty sure about this. I'll follow up with that KB article's owners
> about mentioning that in the KB.
>
> --
> Speaking for myself only.
> rights.
> --
> "Simona" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message
>>
>> I'm not sure how I can insert my pictures here..I don't have a
>> URL...I've Just checked again and the problem really appears to be with
>> the command:Import pictures using Windows.If you use 'importing pictures
>> with Windows', photos that were taken on Raw and sRGB can be processed
>> fine in Photoshop,but not the ones that were taken in Adobe 1998(When
>> you try and save as, Photoshop freezes,and if you try and save the image
>> or change the profile, this error message appears:invalid ICC profile
>> description.I've resolved the matter by using a memory card reader or by
>> using 'Open Device To View Folders' in the autoplay optionand
>> right-click to open camera as removeble storage and then copy and paste
>> files into desktop or folder...No problems at all doing that..Photoshop
>> is happy with all the files...
>> I'm afraid it's true u can have a look if you check this link
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935893 :'Error message in Adobe
>> Photoshop after you modify a file's metadata in Windows Vista: \"The
>> embedded ICC profile cannot be used because the ICC profile description
>> is invalid\"' (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935893)
>> I just can't believe that Xp was just fine and Vista so far is a
>> disaster!!!
>>

>> --
>> Simona

zachd [MSFT]

Re: file's metadata in Windows Vista: "The embedded ICC profile cannot be used because th

OK, final update from my side:
That KB article now has been updated to point out that this is fixed in SP1.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

-Zach