Nvidia, Vista, and DVD problems?

Michelle

Nvidia, Vista, and DVD problems?
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to figure out why my DVDs have problems playing on my computer.
What happens is the video seems to lag, and you get a jumpy like screen. In
other words, the dialog is nice and smooth, but the picture jumps and skips.
I'm sorry I'm not able to describe it more, but I'm not a very technical
person.

I have Windows Vista with the Nvidia GForce 7150M/nForce630M graphics card,
and I have QuickPlay to play my DVDs on an Hp Pavillion dv6000 laptop.

Thanks for your help!
N Brown

Re: Nvidia, Vista, and DVD problems?
Have you tried any other software to play the dvds?

"Michelle" <Michelle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm trying to figure out why my DVDs have problems playing on my computer.
> What happens is the video seems to lag, and you get a jumpy like screen.
> In
> other words, the dialog is nice and smooth, but the picture jumps and
> skips.
> I'm sorry I'm not able to describe it more, but I'm not a very technical
> person.
>
> I have Windows Vista with the Nvidia GForce 7150M/nForce630M graphics
> card,
> and I have QuickPlay to play my DVDs on an Hp Pavillion dv6000 laptop.
>
> Thanks for your help!

John Inzer

Michelle wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm trying to figure out why my DVDs have problems playing on my
> computer. What happens is the video seems to lag, and you get a jumpy
> like screen. In other words, the dialog is nice and smooth, but the
> picture jumps and skips. I'm sorry I'm not able to describe it more,
> but I'm not a very technical person.
>
> I have Windows Vista with the Nvidia GForce 7150M/nForce630M graphics
> card, and I have QuickPlay to play my DVDs on an Hp Pavillion dv6000
> laptop.
>
> Thanks for your help!

================================
No guarantees that the issue will be solved...
but I would give the following freeware a try...
Good luck...

VLC media player
http://www.videolan.org/

The following articles will be useful also.

How to Fix VLC Media Player in Vista
http://tinyurl.com/5lzmm8
or...
http://tech-buzz.net/2007/05/21/how-...ayer-in-vista/

VideoLAN -
Using VLC Player Under Vista
http://tinyurl.com/2r6rrh
or...
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...r-under-vista/
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

--

John Inzer
Digital Media MVP

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk

Michelle

Re: Nvidia, Vista, and DVD problems?
I've tried Windows Media Player with the same results.

"N Brown" wrote:

> Have you tried any other software to play the dvds?
>
> "Michelle" <Michelle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > I'm trying to figure out why my DVDs have problems playing on my computer.
> > What happens is the video seems to lag, and you get a jumpy like screen.
> > In
> > other words, the dialog is nice and smooth, but the picture jumps and
> > skips.
> > I'm sorry I'm not able to describe it more, but I'm not a very technical
> > person.
> >
> > I have Windows Vista with the Nvidia GForce 7150M/nForce630M graphics
> > card,
> > and I have QuickPlay to play my DVDs on an Hp Pavillion dv6000 laptop.
> >
> > Thanks for your help!

John Inzer

Michelle wrote:
> I've tried Windows Media Player with the same results.

==============
Maybe the following freebie would be worth a try:

[...]

is that a different DVD player, or just a patch or something? I'm a bit
confused as to what it is. I 'm sorry, I'm not computer savvy at all.

"John Inzer" wrote:

> Michelle wrote:
> > I've tried Windows Media Player with the same results.

> ==============
> Maybe the following freebie would be worth a try:
>
> VLC media player
> http://www.videolan.org/
>
> The following articles will be useful also.
>
> How to Fix VLC Media Player in Vista
> http://tinyurl.com/5lzmm8
> or...
> http://tech-buzz.net/2007/05/21/how-...ayer-in-vista/
>
> VideoLAN -
> Using VLC Player Under Vista
> http://tinyurl.com/2r6rrh
> or...
> http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...r-under-vista/
> http://www.videolan.org/vlc/
>
> --
>
> John Inzer
> Digital Media MVP
>
> Notice
> This is not tech support
> I am a volunteer
>
> Solutions that work for
> me may not work for you
>
> Proceed at your own risk

John Inzer

Michelle wrote:
> is that a different DVD player, or just a patch or something? I'm a
> bit confused as to what it is. I 'm sorry, I'm not computer savvy at
> all.

=====================
It's a different player.

--

John Inzer
Digital Media MVP

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk

N Brown

Re: Nvidia, Vista, and DVD problems?
Could be the dvd drive not keeping up or the paticular mpeg2 decoder being
used.
You could try Vista codec package at
http://www.free-codecs.com/download/...ec_package.htm

> I've tried Windows Media Player with the same results.
>
> "N Brown" wrote:
>
>> Have you tried any other software to play the dvds?
>>
>> "Michelle" <Michelle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi everyone,
>> >
>> > I'm trying to figure out why my DVDs have problems playing on my
>> > computer.
>> > What happens is the video seems to lag, and you get a jumpy like
>> > screen.
>> > In
>> > other words, the dialog is nice and smooth, but the picture jumps and
>> > skips.
>> > I'm sorry I'm not able to describe it more, but I'm not a very
>> > technical
>> > person.
>> >
>> > I have Windows Vista with the Nvidia GForce 7150M/nForce630M graphics
>> > card,
>> > and I have QuickPlay to play my DVDs on an Hp Pavillion dv6000 laptop.
>> >
>> > Thanks for your help!

Michelle

Re: Nvidia, Vista, and DVD problems?
You know, I have heard of that before. I will defiantly try that, I'll let
you know how it turns out!

Michelle

"N Brown" wrote:

> Could be the dvd drive not keeping up or the paticular mpeg2 decoder being
> used.
> You could try Vista codec package at
> http://www.free-codecs.com/download/...ec_package.htm
>

> "Michelle" <Michelle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I've tried Windows Media Player with the same results.
> >
> > "N Brown" wrote:
> >
> >> Have you tried any other software to play the dvds?

Michelle

Re: Nvidia, Vista, and DVD problems?
Nope, didn't work...