Windows Media Player and Windows Media Center

HelpNeeded

Windows Media Player and Windows Media Center
Hello there

We can't play any DVDs on Windows Media Player 11 or Windows Media Center.

We kept getting error messages like:

This disc is not formatted to play in this region.

This player is incompatible with the region marking of this disc.

Windows Media Player cannot play this DVD because there is a problem with
digital copy protection between your DVD drive, decoder and video card. Try
installing an updated driver for your video card.

The same DVDs could be played using WMP 11 on Windows XP, AVS DVD player,
and Nero Showtime.

We are running Windows Vista Home Premium and have a NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS
512 graphic card.

Anyone can help, please?

Thank you.

HelpNeeded

John Inzer

Re: Windows Media Player and Windows Media Center
HelpNeeded wrote:
> Hello there
>
> We can't play any DVDs on Windows Media Player 11 or Windows Media
> Center.
>
> We kept getting error messages like:
>

> This disc is not formatted to play in this region.
>
> This player is incompatible with the region marking of this disc.
>
> Windows Media Player cannot play this DVD because there is a problem
> with digital copy protection between your DVD drive, decoder and
> video card. Try installing an updated driver for your video card.
>

> The same DVDs could be played using WMP 11 on Windows XP, AVS DVD
> player, and Nero Showtime.
>
> We are running Windows Vista Home Premium and have a NVIDIA GeForce
> 8800 GTS 512 graphic card.
>
> Anyone can help, please?
>
> Thank you.
>

> HelpNeeded

================================
The following free software may be worth a try:

VLC media player
http://www.videolan.org/

The following articles will be useful also.

How to Fix VLC Media Player in Vista
http://tinyurl.com/5lzmm8
or...
http://tech-buzz.net/2007/05/21/how-...ayer-in-vista/

VideoLAN -
Using VLC Player Under Vista
http://tinyurl.com/2r6rrh
or...
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...r-under-vista/
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

--

John Inzer
Digital Media MVP

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk

N Brown

Re: Windows Media Player and Windows Media Center
Is it possible you never set your drive region in XP or Vista??
I wouldn't think XP would play dvds either but not sure.
Check the drive's properties, just checked mine and they're both
region 1 and I know I didn't set them in Vista. I must have
set them in XP.